U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-30-2007, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
30,241 posts, read 67,413,573 times
Reputation: 15886

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Most cities in PA,they're old and run down(and not all 'historic')
A-hem!

Scranton's Historic "Hill" Neighborhood: http://www.city-data.com/forum/penns...l-section.html
Historic Downtown Scranton: http://www.city-data.com/forum/penns...-part-one.html
Scranton's Historic Green Ridge Neighborhood: A New Photo Tour For Your Enjoyment!
Historic District of Wilkes-Barre: http://www.city-data.com/forum/penns...-part-one.html
Historic Honesdale: http://www.city-data.com/forum/penns...art-three.html
Historic Tunkhannock: http://www.city-data.com/forum/penns...-part-two.html
Historic Milford: http://www.city-data.com/forum/penns...hoto-tour.html

Need I continue?

 
Old 04-30-2007, 09:06 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
30,241 posts, read 67,413,573 times
Reputation: 15886
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
Binghamton, NY
Interesting indeed. That city is only an hour away from me and is on my "to-do" list for a photo tour in May. We'll see if I can reshape Bingo's image from "ugly duckling" to "beautiful swan."
 
Old 04-30-2007, 09:10 PM
 
Location: TwilightZone
5,296 posts, read 5,218,658 times
Reputation: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
A-hem!

Scranton's Historic "Hill" Neighborhood: http://www.city-data.com/forum/penns...l-section.html...
All that stuff is great and all but what about all the sinkholes all over the place in N.E. PA with the roads falling apart,houses falling into what were once coal mines,etc. Of course one can dig up all the good or bad on a place,I was just going by what I've seen from living and traveling across the state.
 
Old 04-30-2007, 09:21 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
30,241 posts, read 67,413,573 times
Reputation: 15886
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
All that stuff is great and all but what about all the sinkholes all over the place in N.E. PA with the roads falling apart,houses falling into what were once coal mines,etc. Of course one can dig up all the good or bad on a place,I was just going by what I've seen from living and traveling across the state.
Agreed. There are good and bad points to every area. My main gripe is that so many lifelong Pennsylvanians focus primarily on the negatives. I realize I'm a "naive college student," but I happen to think PA offers a wonderful quality-of-life in which to raise a family. There's a reason why "The Office" is set here and why Scranton was just ranked by Money Magazine as having the fourth-hottest real estate market in the nation, and it's not because we're a dump!

You remind me quite a bit of WeLuvPA. I've met him before in person, and he's a very nice guy. We're both concerned about the state of the city's finances and political issues. However, where I see potential and progress, he sees letdowns and broken dreams. That's part of the reason why I'm a little hesitant to meet with him again. It's fine to be a realist, but why does it hurt to have at least some hope for a brighter tomorrow? He's indicative of PA residents as a whole---downtrodden and pessimistic about our bright future! Just watch a televised city council meeting sometime if you ever make it up to NEPA. It's an all-out gripefest for hours! If people spent less time b&$^ing about how horrible the city was and utilized that time to try to make things better themselves, then think of how many of our problems could be solved!

People in this state don't realize how great they have it. If our state was the pits, then why are the NJ/NY folks clogging our roadways and hacking down acre after acre of trees to move in? We must be doing something right to attract that much interest from out-of-staters, right?
 
Old 04-30-2007, 09:33 PM
 
Location: TwilightZone
5,296 posts, read 5,218,658 times
Reputation: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
People in this state don't realize how great they have it. If our state was the pits, then why are the NJ/NY folks clogging our roadways and hacking down acre after acre of trees to move in? We must be doing something right to attract that much interest from out-of-staters, right?
Ah hem...uhh cheaper taxes
 
Old 04-30-2007, 09:37 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
30,241 posts, read 67,413,573 times
Reputation: 15886
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Ah hem...uhh cheaper taxes
Try telling that to WeLuvPA! If I hear one more peep out of him about how "expensive" it is to live in the city of Scranton, I might have to cyber-slap him with a Texas weiner from Coney Island! Whenever someone inquires about moving to the city, he chimes in with the "HUGE" tax increases (even though my parents' tax bill in suburbia is still higher than the average city tax bill). Taxes are a part of life, just like death, global warming, terrorism, traffic jams, yada yada yada. Why fret so much over them when people in NJ are paying three times as much for similar properties?
 
Old 04-30-2007, 09:49 PM
 
Location: Old Town Alexandria
14,505 posts, read 23,800,045 times
Reputation: 8838
Thumbs up I am looking for-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
What are we meaning when we say ugly? Because I'm confused.

everyones opinions- ugly meaning a place you visited and thought---- Yuck- I will never buy a house here!!!

I need info and need more West Coast people!. As for Orlando- it is a mass of cookie cutter developments and to me- ugly. Orlando is like a plastic version filled with identical tracts-- without any history or historical/interesting architecture.

Thanks- there are some good posts here- I didnt know Stockton was that bad. And Arizona sounds like its similar to S Florida.

sunny
 
Old 04-30-2007, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Old Town Alexandria
14,505 posts, read 23,800,045 times
Reputation: 8838
Thumbs up lol-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Interesting indeed. That city is only an hour away from me and is on my "to-do" list for a photo tour in May. We'll see if I can reshape Bingo's image from "ugly duckling" to "beautiful swan."
Ok!!! SWB- I do love those tudor homes. Reminds me of Garden City- NY (where I am from)
What is the main town like- a nice downtown? I guess I like the older, walkable cities- the new McMansionized neighborhoods are NOT for me. I left S Florida because of that. Give me an overpriced brownstone in Boston!!
I look forward to your pictures and (hey-are you in sales?-lol) Gizmo also had some great S.F. pictures- a city I MUST see. Seems California has alot to offer, but the price tag to go w/it.

Thanks everyone. I love to hear everyones opinions.

sunny
 
Old 04-30-2007, 10:05 PM
 
Location: Tijuana Exurbs
4,008 posts, read 10,460,390 times
Reputation: 4744
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
everyones opinions- ugly meaning a place you visited and thought---- Yuck- I will never buy a house here!!!

I need info and need more West Coast people!. As for Orlando- it is a mass of cookie cutter developments and to me- ugly. Orlando is like a plastic version filled with identical tracts-- without any history or historical/interesting architecture.

Thanks- there are some good posts here- I didnt know Stockton was that bad. And Arizona sounds like its similar to S Florida.

sunny
Klamath Falls, Oregon. Admittedly, I haven't been there in decades, but when I was I always thought it was bleak and treeless.
 
Old 04-30-2007, 10:28 PM
 
Location: Old Town Alexandria
14,505 posts, read 23,800,045 times
Reputation: 8838
the worst is when there are no mature trees/ everything flat and identical. Most of Nassau County(NY) was ruined when they ripped the trees down. I see that happening in North Virginia as well- strip malls and Wal-marts- no older neighborhoods with character!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top