Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2008, 09:17 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchwoodchi View Post
Oh please! Give me a break! I've been to Detroit more times than I care to remember and the place is a DUMP!(downtown is a ghost town) Do you expect people who have never been to Detroit to believe that Detroit has the reputation it has because people have it in for Detroit, or because they've been there and know what it's like. You people in Detroit have two choices: 1) live in a dream world, deny your vast array of problems and don't demand change or, 2) get off your butts and hold the city government accountable and step into the 21st century like everyone else. Chicago isn't consider to be the best planned city in America because they thought about, they made it happen. You can too.
All right, no offense or anything but I've gotta call you on this one. I've only been living in Chicago for a couple of months, and it is a fantastic city, but "considered to be the best planned in America?" According to whom? Chicago is ruled by an elected benevolent dictator and its leadership is maddeningly corrupt and bordering on incompetent. The planning process is practically non-existent; a piece in the Trib a few weeks back detailed how alderman basically give away zoning changes for campaign contributions. This week's Reader discussed how the city landmarks commission is a joke. Illinois is a place where they seem to think a budget crisis is a good time to give people free stuff. The mayor constantly raises property taxes and puts them into a slush fund that everyone knows about but is totally unaccounted for. There's still a machine, for crying out loud! I'm originally from New York, and I'm not saying my hometown's leadership is free of corruption or stupidity, but this stuff simply would not fly there. I've really come to believe that the political culture in Chicago, and in Illinois, is completely warped.

Don't mean to take this out on you, heh, it's just something I've been thinking about lately. It's also a real shame because Chicago is a great city in spite of all of it and I'd just love for this city to finally have the leadership it truly deserves.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:47 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times
L A (tho some of the burbs are very nice)

Long Beach, CA

Indianapolis, IN

Bakersfield, CA

Carson City, NV

Ford Heights, IL

Old 02-25-2008, 02:47 AM

6 posts, read 4,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
^^^^^^ Which suburb/rural area do you live in that is so much nicer That is a pretty broad slam on one of the world's most beautiful, cosmopolitan cities, and one of the greatest and most unique cities in history by all accounts.
He lives in Houston, Texas.

I find it surprising that anyone who can live in the hideous eyesore that is Houston, Texas can find any city, let alone NYC, ugly! NY is beautiful and visually stimulating.

Houston is by far the ugliest large city I've ever had the misfortune of stepping in. It's a dump. I've never seen anyone walking around Houston with cameras....have you, or anyone on this forum for that matter? I always enjoy my NYC visits.

With that said, after Houston I would go with:

Detroit

Newark

Baltimore

Phoenix

Albuquerque

Old 02-25-2008, 05:12 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Add: Erwin Tennessee- they executed an elephant horribly there- it is a sad story

Ft Lauderdale (speaks for itself)

ditto on Newark, NJ AND Delaware.

Hazard, Kentucky- not a city but---wow was I surprised towns like this still exist!

Old 03-02-2008, 06:45 AM

2 posts, read 9,377 times
1. Bridgeport, CT
2. Philadelphia, PA
3. Every settlement in southern Idaho.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:59 AM

312 posts, read 1,519,158 times
Seattle and Portland

Old 03-02-2008, 07:54 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
I loved the shore and ocean front of LA but the rest of it???? I mean really. All cities have positives and negatives, but out of the largest, I guess I would rule out LA. Perhaps Houston also. They are just to car-orientated for me.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:01 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
^^^^^^ Which suburb/rural area do you live in that is so much nicer That is a pretty broad slam on one of the world's most beautiful, cosmopolitan cities, and one of the greatest and most unique cities in history by all accounts.
Chicago is so beautiful. The view of the skyscrapers standing on the lakefront is amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla ucla View Post
He lives in Houston, Texas.

I find it surprising that anyone who can live in the hideous eyesore that is Houston, Texas can find any city, let alone NYC, ugly! NY is beautiful and visually stimulating.

Houston is by far the ugliest large city I've ever had the misfortune of stepping in. It's a dump. I've never seen anyone walking around Houston with cameras....have you, or anyone on this forum for that matter? I always enjoy my NYC visits.
Why would you visit Houston? It's a city to live in not visit. Maybe it's from the resentment of the middle? The West is insignificant to most people in the East (where most Americans live, including Houston). Surprisingly you called Houston a dump. Most people view L.A. as the most famous dump.

New York had something missing. Philadelphia has it, specifically if one is on Independence Mall, history. Federal Hall is the only link with the 18th-century past and it's not even original. Most of the things that are done there are from the 19th-century--the parks, department stores, etc. Liberty Place also has what the New York skyline is missing: Color.

The "stimulation" was watching people run around Manhattan like rats and crowd themselves onto subways and commuter trains.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:48 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
NYC has some good points, but living there- No, not for me. I wouldn't consider it COMPLETELY ugly- but Queens, Staten Island Bronx and parts of Brookilyn--yes, very ugly and claustrophobic.

What about New Orleans? from what we saw, it looked like downtown Manhattan, dirty, overcrowded and hostile. And this was 5 years before Katrina.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:21 PM

3 posts, read 5,182 times
Have any of you two actually been to New York? Probably not, because most of Queens is nice, there are actually beautiful areas in the Bronx with rolling hills. Most of NYC is beautiful. There is a reason people love taking photos of New York.

But considering I'm talking to people from Tennessee, and freaking Houston it doesn't matter. They are both crummy and undesirable places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony from Europe View Post
Seattle and Portland
Are you joking? Seattle is beautiful.

Last edited by jaysonj01; 03-06-2008 at 01:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.