Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2008, 11:07 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,169,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchwoodchi View Post
You're right. We Chicagoans do tend to do a lot of chest thumping. I've been told we can be pretty obnoxious. What do you expect from people who come from the "city that works". However, we're also nice and gracious, so I apologize if I was a bit harsh. It's just that I've seen things deteriorate in Detroit for so long and no one seems to care. There is too much history in that city for this to continue. It's a shame really.
I CARE!!!!!!!!!!! and I'm not alone, that is what is so wrong about what you are saying. You don't live here, you are not part of organizations working toward making the city better and fighting the problems in the government, I am and how dare you think it's okay for you to judge something you don't understand. You call my city that is full of good people trying to make life better a dump and brag about you "city that works", Chicago is a nice city, but your attitude toward my city does not give a good impression of the people in Chicago.

Downtown is not a ghost town, there are many restaurants, clubs and art galleries. People here care about this city, we don't have it easy, we work to make it better. What did YOU do that made Chicago great besides just live there. I am horrified and insulted by your post. Please think about what you are saying before writing it down.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:12 AM

93 posts, read 87,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickmich View Post
Chicago people, nice and gracious? HA! As a truck driver I have been to Chicago proper many times for deliveries, and I cannot remember a delivery in which the
people were NOT rude to me. Minneapolis, now there is an example of nice people.
Just thought I would set you straight. Thank you!
Well that's probably true. In Chicago we like things done yesterday, and if you get in our way there is going to be a problem. However, we do have a reputation for being nice when compared to major cities. Try going to New York and see how they treat you. As for Minneapolis, of course they're nice. They people in Mayberry are also nice. What's your point.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:25 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,385,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by visalian View Post
Amarillo, TX- ugly, hot
I must also mention that it snows in the winter. Expect Great Plains blizzards because even though it's in Texas, the Panhandle is geographically part of the Great Plains.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [LEFT
I CARE!!!!!!!!!!! and I'm not alone, that is what is so wrong about what you are saying. You don't live here, you are not part of organizations working toward making the city better and fighting the problems in the government, I am and how dare you think it's okay for you to judge something you don't understand. You call my city that is full of good people trying to make life better a dump and brag about you "city that works", Chicago is a nice city, but your attitude toward my city does not give a good impression of the people in Chicago.

Downtown is not a ghost town, there are many restaurants, clubs and art galleries. People here care about this city, we don't have it easy, we work to make it better. What did YOU do that made Chicago great besides just live there. I am horrified and insulted by your post. Please think about what you are saying before writing it down.
It wasn't my intent to upset you. Obviously you care a lot about your city. Kudos. Detroit needs people like you. I too am involved in community groups, such as Friends of the Parks. The Chicago is what it is, is because Chicagoans are a civic-minded people. The citizens are civic-minded, the business community is civic-minded, the city government is civic-minded. It's something that has been instilled in us since the 19th century. It's a matter of pride, that could not be destroyed by a "great fire". If we could battle back from that, surely you people in Detroit should be able to muster enough will and perseverance to make a comeback. However, EVERYONE must care. Not just a select few civic-minded citizens like yourself. It has to come from the top down, and from the bottom up. Good Luck!

Old 02-24-2008, 11:30 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,161,695 times
Quote:
I like Philly too. Unfortunately, it's a good place to get yourself killed. Being from Chicago everyone always says don't leave the airport if you go to Philly. Ironically enough I was mugged in the airport!
That is absolutely hilarious coming from someone from Chicago.

Chicago- January 2008 Crimes stats.

Murders- 34
Robbery-1268
Assaults-1128
Burglary-1854
Thefts-6157
Stolen Autos- 1459
Arson-45

Violent Crimes 2526
Property Crimes 9515

Total Chicago crimes committed in Jan 2008=12,041

Those in glass houses...... If you want to applaud Chicagos skyline and culture thats perfectly understandable, but to bring crime into the equation is probably not advisable. It was only 4-5 years ago that Chicago was the Murder capital of the USA. Think before you type rookie.

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/webpor...AL/Jan08CS.pdf

Old 02-24-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
It wasn't my intent to upset you. Obviously you care a lot about your city. Kudos. Detroit needs people like you. I too am involved in community groups, such as Friends of the Parks. The [LEFT]reasons[/LEFT] Chicago is what it is, is because Chicagoans are a civic-minded people. The citizens are civic-minded, the business community is civic-minded, the city government is civic-minded. It's something that has been instilled in us since the 19th century. It's a matter of pride, that could not be destroyed by a "great fire". If we could battle back from that, surely you people in Detroit should be able to muster enough will and perseverance to make a [LEFT]reasonable[/LEFT] comeback. However, EVERYONE must care. Not just a select few civic-minded citizens like yourself. It has to come from the top down, and from the bottom up. Good Luck!
You just don't get it, I am part of large groups of people who care and we constantly have to deal with people who don't live in the city insulting us, do you have any idea how that feels? No, you don't and it seems you don't care either. I have pride and my friends have pride in the many wonderful things in Detroit. We work to change the problems, but EVERYONE thinks they have the right to just laugh and call the city a dump. How do you think a young child who is passionate about writing and acting and is part of a theatre in Detroit's mexicantown and thinks she is doing something amazing would feel to read how she is a worthless person who lives in a ghetto. The insults are part of what destroys her pride in her life. Detroit is full of human beings, why does nobody seem to get that?

Old 02-24-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
That is absolutely hilarious coming from someone from Chicago.

Chicago- January 2008 Crimes stats.

Murders- 34
Robbery-1268
Assaults-1128
Burglary-1854
Thefts-6157
Stolen Autos- 1459
Arson-45

Violent Crimes 2526
Property Crimes 9515

Total Chicago crimes committed in Jan 2008=12,041

Those in glass houses...... If you want to applaud Chicagos skyline thats great but to bring crime into equation is probably not advisable. It was only 4-5 years ago that Chicago was the Murder capital of the USA. Think before you type.

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/webpor...AL/Jan08CS.pdf
Think before you type, Chicago was never the murder capital. NEVER! DO YOUR HOMEWORK! Also, while your at it, check the numbers for crime, per ca pita, between Chicago and Philly. Then decide which city is the most dangerous. There isn't enough Philly cheese steak in the world, for me to be caught dead(pun intended) in Philly after dark. By the way I said I like Philly.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;2928674
You just don't get it, I am part of large groups of people who care and we constantly have to deal with people who don't live in the city insulting us, do you have any idea how that feels? No, you don't and it seems you don't care either. I have pride and my friends have pride in the many wonderful things in Detroit. We work to change the problems, but EVERYONE thinks they have the right to just laugh and call the city a dump. How do you think a young child who is passionate about writing and acting and is part of a theatre in Detroit's and thinks she is doing something amazing would feel to read how she is a worthless person who lives in a ghetto. The insults are part of what destroys her pride in her life. Detroit is full of human beings, why does nobody seem to get that?
Look I'm not trying to be insulting or insensitive, but if so many people in Detroit care as you say, than why is nothing changing? The people of Detroit are good people I'm sure, but they don't seem to be able to effect change very much. Why is that?

Old 02-24-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Look I'm not trying to be insulting or insensitive, but if so many people in Detroit care as you say, than why is nothing changing? The people of Detroit are good people I'm sure, but they don't seem to be able to effect change very much. Why is that?
Forget it, you are unbelievably insulting and hurtful and all you can do is ask me why we aren't changing fast enough for you to notice. You don't live here. Thankfully I know many sensitive and caring people in Chicago so I know all the people in the city aren't heartless.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:57 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,161,695 times
Quote:
Think before you type, Chicago was never the murder capital. NEVER! DO YOUR HOMEWORK!
Ouch! Open mouth- insert foot.

Like I said Chicago has many great attributes, for you to disparrage other cities is pretty silly and immature. Chicago is not without fault however, its past its present or its future.

USATODAY.com - Chicago topped nation in homicides in 2003

Chicago topped nation in homicides in 2003

CHICAGO (AP) — Despite a sharp drop in homicides, Chicago has regained a title it didn't want: America's murder capital.
The city finished 2003 with 599 homicides, police said Thursday. That was down from 648 a year earlier and the first time since 1967 that the total dipped below 600.

[mod cut/copyright]

Last edited by ontheroad; 02-24-2008 at 11:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.