Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 06:17 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,251,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
I never watched the Gilmore Girls but I'd love to find a town like Cabot Cove (fictional) in Maine that was supposed to be where the show Murder She Wrote was. LOL.
Yes, but the per capita murder rate in Cabot Cove made it more dangerous than some large cities -- it was completely out of control!

Every place I can think of in CT and MA for the OP is more expensive, such as Acton, Hopkinton, and Newton, or even Trumbull, CT. Ridgefield, CT and Katonah, NY would fit the bill, but they can be even more expensive.

Pawling, NY and Saratoga Springs, NY might be worth a look for a good small town, though Pawling is a bit small at the village center as it's more of an exurban community. New Paltz, NY might be worth considering, as it's a pretty interesting area, though if you look at the demographics, remember it's a college town, hence the low median income relative to house prices.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 12:05 PM

204 posts, read 419,799 times
Chestertown MD...to a t..just no work for anyone..

Old 07-25-2013, 04:19 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,420,603 times
Gilmore Girls was such a fun show!

I imagine the closest parallels would be in the Northeast, but I don't know much about small towns in the Northeast.

The Midwestern Stars Hollow is absolutely Northfield, MN. Less than an hour from the Twin Cities, amazing community, very walkable in and outside of downtown, all kinds of independent shops. Every fall they celebrate Defeat of Jesse James Days to commemorate James's failure to rob a bank in Northfield.

The other perfect little town is Decorah, IA, which has everything Northfield has, but it's a little more isolated. Closest cities are La Crosse and Rochester at 90 minutes each. But the trade-off is you get beautiful bluff country in your back yard and an even tighter-knit community. Decorah celebrates Nordic Fest every July (it's happening now actually). Big big crowds from all over the Driftless area and beyond. I'm not sure about a farmers' market in Northfield, but the one in Decorah is huge for a town its size. The best grape tomatoes I've ever had were from the Decorah farmers' market. The local arts group ArtHaus hosts a really high-quality poetry slam every couple months, and it's always standing room only within the first five minutes. (Wow, writing this is making me miss Decorah like crazy!)

These towns are both super picturesque and frankly just adorable and magical and wonderful little slices of Americana, and the perk you get from the Midwest is that they're a LOT cheaper than the "real" Stars Hollows in New England.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:03 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,311,514 times
Just for fun, I was actually in the "real" Stars Hollow when they were filming the Gilmore Girls. I took a tour on the Warner Bros lot. We even go to see the interior of the Dragonfly Inn which was just a facade of nothing on the inside. The sets of the Main St was shared by many other moves just dressed a bit differently and the small park was often used by "The X Files" crew.

No Lorelai or Rory though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.