U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 05:01 PM

11,294 posts, read 16,397,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Don't be foolish.

If one is a world traveler they will be exposed to far more culture than many a NY'er
Anybody could travel the world and experience different cultures, that doesn't stop NYC from having more cultures than most places.

Its stupid to think a person is "automatically cultured" by being born in NYC, its also stupid to deny that NYC has more cultures than most places.

Being exposed to different cultures is just one factor in determining the "culturedness" of someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 05:01 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,686,857 times
http://www.tripcrazed.com/690178044/...rson-cultured/

A nice article on culture and people. Several on here could benefit from this

Second to last line states "never brag about being cultured because that is a good indicator that you are not"

Ouch, for several NY'ers

Old 09-02-2009, 05:03 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,686,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Anybody could travel the world and experience different cultures, that doesn't stop NYC from having more cultures than most places.

Its stupid to think a person is "automatically cultured" by being born in NYC, its also stupid to deny that NYC has more cultures than most places.
Well, it seems you and I are both thinking alike here.

Thank you

Old 09-02-2009, 05:04 PM

11,449 posts, read 13,915,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCounty View Post
Because a person that grew up in Savannah GA and visits a camp somewhere else would experience different cultures for a weekend, week or summer at most. After the camp is over they go back to Savannah GA. Being cultured takes extended time periods of LIVING in that place.
For many from smaller towns the only traveling they've done is being stationed overseas with the US Military. Then it's back to the home town.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:04 PM

223 posts, read 747,508 times
Default Chicago is alot like New York!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Fortunately, I grew up in Chicago. I admire New York City. A big city exposes inhabitants to many things that are less likely to happen in smaller towns. A cultured environment produces innovation in music, art, literature, and film. New York has produced countless innovative music groups, artists and writers. Not all have grown up in New York, but many understand that NYC is the pinnacle for those who want to achieve success in their field, and move there. To an artist, having one exhibit in New York City is worth more than ten in smaller cities.
A big city has a window to the world. More people are aware of the world around them, and take an interest in other cultures.
Living in a large city surrounded by culture of all sorts makes the people more diversified. This reflects in the wide range of topics for discussion.

Your right, and Chicago is a very big city to. Their are differences between the 2, but alot of similar things as well. Chicago kind of reminds me of New York!!! In Chicago your exposed to alot of different cultures as well. You guys got a pretty "big window to the world" just like the N.Y.C.!!!!

Old 09-02-2009, 05:10 PM

672 posts, read 1,498,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
Exactly!

You can live in or near a place with a million different cultures and still not be cultured. It all depends on the person. There are millions of people living in NYC who have never left their perspective 'hoods. A lot of people see it, ie. different cultures, and don't like it. For those people, it's totally backwards. But what can you do?

It's totally dependent on the individual person, no matter where you are from.
Come to think of it, the same can be said of any place. London, Paris, or my hometown of San Francisco. I wasn't singling out NYC. It's an example, because it probably is the largest melting pot out there.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:12 PM

223 posts, read 747,508 times
Default Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
If you are sick of seeing my posts I have the same solution as I did last time, don't come to the site to post.

You are right, we did discuss your problem on another thread and you were exposed as someone who lives in Jersey that for some reason in insecure in himself and tries to hang on the coattails of NYC as if that will validate you.

I have been discussing the thread topic, if that bothers you then go elsewhere.
Its really you and a couple of others that bother me.

I live in North Jersey and I'm from Queens. Something that i have been saying from the beginning!!!! What do you not understand?

You have no idea about the Northeast because millions of people in Jersey where I live are from New York City and now live in Jersey its nothing knew!!!!

You have been exposed because you talk about New York and you have never been their. Your New York Inferioity Complex has been exposed many times before!!!!

Your from weekie wackie florida Please!!!

q

Old 09-02-2009, 05:15 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,419,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugger View Post
LOL

Weeki Wachee Swamp Fest Home Page

Old 09-02-2009, 05:18 PM

8,489 posts, read 17,415,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
eating Thanksgiving dinner in a fancy hotel where George Washington used to stay, traveling to different historic areas of the country to learn about what it was like in, say, the Colonial period, going to camps where there are children from all over the world, getting to talk with famous bands from around the world, plus more.
Quote:
Did those camps and hotels have a requirement that all going there be from NY?

I know people that have never been to NY that are far more cultured than most NYers. I also know NYers that have lived there thier entire lives and are not cultured in the least.

A city in and of itself does not make someone cultured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
What are you talking about with the hotels and camps? That makes no sense... I often went to hockey camps with women from around the country, sometimes the world. I played against teams from all over the place. I made it as far as the equivalent to pro in women's hockey. I met so many people from all backgrounds growing up.

I've lived elsewhere besides downstate NY, too.
Quote:
What do you mean it makes no sense?

You have been going on and on about being afforded all these opportunities to become cultured due to you living in NY. I just figured they must have been reserved for those from NY since you act as if someone from Savanah, GA could never have these opportunities.
Quote:
Someone from Savannah, GA would not have those opportunities.
Quote:
Please explain why someone from Savannah could not go to a camp that had kids from other countries or stay at a hotal that G Washington stayed.
Quote:
Because a person that grew up in Savannah GA and visits a camp somewhere else would experience different cultures for a weekend, week or summer at most. After the camp is over they go back to Savannah GA. Being cultured takes extended time periods of LIVING in that place.
It helps to follow the whole thread. She spoke of staying at a hotel where G Washington stayed and going to camp where there were children from other countries.

There is no reason a child from Savannah could not experience these things.

And traveling to different countries, even for a week at a time, will give you a better experience of that culture rather than walking down a street hearing different languages or eating a falafel.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:29 PM

8,489 posts, read 17,415,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugger View Post
Its really you and a couple of others that bother me.

I live in North Jersey and I'm from Queens. Something that i have been saying from the beginning!!!! What do you not understand?

You have no idea about the Northeast because millions of people in Jersey where I live are from New York City and now live in Jersey its nothing knew!!!!

You have been exposed because you talk about New York and you have never been their. Your New York Inferioity Complex has been exposed many times before!!!!

q
You were a child when your parents moved you to NJ.

I on the other hand lived in NY for 25 years. Most of that time in The Bronx but had a studio apartment on 2nd ave in the 40's for a while.

Don't tell me I have never been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.