U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 06:16 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,650,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
You were a child when your parents moved you to NJ.

I on the other hand lived in NY for 25 years. Most of that time in The Bronx but had a studio apartment on 2nd ave in the 40's for a while.

Don't tell me I have never been there.
and lived in NY for 58 years. Don't even TRY to compare my experiences to yours. ONE example. I worked a few blockes away in the late 60s/early 70s from where the Twin Towers were being built. I passed it every day on my way to and from work. It was a great big hole in the ground where they had a big fence with peep holes so you could watch it being built. It was so far down from street level that trucks and bulldozers looked like children's toys.

Years later when I was working midtown, I was on my lunch hour when they were have some opening event at Trump Towers. I was just standing around looking into the lobby when some guy came up to me and asked it I would like a tour of the building. I told him I had to get back to work. As I was leaving, somebody came up to me and said did I know that that man was DONALD TRUMP? No, I had no idea at the time who he was. I could actually WRITE A BOOK about my experiences growing up and living in NYC back then.

Match that in the Bronx OR FLORIDA.

Last edited by TANaples; 09-02-2009 at 06:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 06:28 PM

8,489 posts, read 17,415,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
and lived in NY for 58 years. Don't even TRY to compare my experiences to yours. ONE example. I worked a few blockes away in the late 60s/early 70s from where the Twin Towers were being built. I passed it every day on my way to and from work. It was a great big hole in the ground where they had a big fence with peep holes so you could watch it being built. It was so far down from street level that trucks and bulldozers looked like children's toys.

And what does this have to do with anything I said?

Did I compare my experience in NY to yours?

I know enough that everyone will have a different experience. I worked in many of the buildings at the Trade center as well as the World Financial Center across the street, and dozens of other around Wall Street. Are you trying to say your experience usurps mine because you saw it go up?

And who is trying to play mine is bigger than yours?

I responded to someone who claimed I never lived in NY and now you come on asking me to compare the Trade center going up to something in the Bronx or Florida. Get a grip.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:55 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,240,819 times
If the multicultural thing is the issue isn't Sacramento the most multicultural? As in different cultures interacting, not just living in the same city. If it's education Ann Arbor, Boulder, Cambridge, or Palo Alto would seem to be ahead even if they're all smallish cities.

New York City is maybe the biggest cultural hub and likely does have the most cultured people. However it likely also has one of the highest numbers of uneducated and uncultured people in one spot. It's big, it's going to be numerically dominant. I think what may bother some is not the idea that it's cultured, but the implication it's cultured in some better way. It comes across as snooty I think.

NYC is very cultured and so are many other places each in their own different ways.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:59 PM

12,391 posts, read 23,771,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Don't be foolish.

If one is a world traveler they will be exposed to far more culture than many a NY'er
very true.. as i said before... u need to live in another country to get the full effect. there isn't much variance in the u.s. in comparison...sorry, still operating in the u.s., under u.s. laws and culture.

Case example, I had nigerian friends for years, ate their food, went to their house... Then I actually went and lived in Nigeria... it is not even a comparison.
Have done the same thing in France, again, no comparison.

most people in nyc still assimilate to american culture, even if they have a different background...yeah it helps to be TOLERANT and EXPOSED I just don't buy so much the cultured thing...
b/c you have chinatown, chinese people, eat their foods etc...insert any ethnic enclave. it is not a substitute for going to China...all you guys in nyc who think this is making you cultured is utterly fooling yourselves. I think the funniest and easily stereotyped is the Italian americans who think they are all italian...hahahhaha. also at the stuff being spewed about camps, restaurants and stuff again hahahaha...
the fact remains you are still IN THE UNITED STATES

don't believe me? ask anybody who has lived abroad, I'm sure they will tell you the same stuff.

Last edited by grapico; 09-02-2009 at 07:13 PM..

Old 09-02-2009, 07:12 PM

8,900 posts, read 12,706,739 times
Quote:

Years later when I was working midtown, I was on my lunch hour when they were have some opening event at Trump Towers. I was just standing around looking into the lobby when some guy came up to me and asked it I would like a tour of the building. I told him I had to get back to work. As I was leaving, somebody came up to me and said did I know that that man was DONALD TRUMP? No, I had no idea at the time who he was. I could actually WRITE A BOOK about my experiences growing up and living in NYC back then.

You really should write a book about all your experiences in the city. There really aren't any Manhattan natives at all. 90% are just transplants. No one on the General US forum can match your cool stories you have of interacting with celebrities.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:18 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,650,713 times
You live and work in Manhattan for a long time and you will meet celebrities. I suppose people in LA will say the same too.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:21 PM

8,900 posts, read 12,706,739 times
Quote:
You live and work in Manhattan for a long time and you will meet celebrities. I suppose people in LA will say the same too.

Yeah, living and/or working in NYC is totally different than spending a couple days there. Moderator cut: off-topic/personal

Last edited by Bo; 09-03-2009 at 10:52 AM..

Old 09-02-2009, 09:20 PM

haha I just realized people had profile pictures... lol that is the first profile I've ever looked at!

Old 09-02-2009, 09:27 PM

58 posts, read 101,774 times
culture is how you carry yourself as a person

$$$$ has nothing to do with class...in fact some of the trashiest people are products of "new" money

Old 09-02-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contachster View Post
I will get over myself but let me get in one more post before I do, Mr. Peterson.

Let me make a clarification: I did not claim that you were not cultured, just not that much. You see sir, when I hear the word "cultured" the image that comes to mind is a person who is urbane, enlightened, and refined. Now when I hear these words I don't automatically amalgamate them with weed-choked parking lots, cheap beer, jalopy vehicles, and dirty prefabricated chairs; and certainly not to an individual who uses or occasions such.
b/c most people in africa sip martinis while driving around in their aston martins on conf call with london.
they are so not cultured over in the dark land...
it sounds like you are talking about douchebaggery, snobbery, or elitist prickism, rather than cultured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.