U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 02:23 PM

12,395 posts, read 14,056,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post

You don't have to travel to a distant land to know something about it.
Highly disagree with that... U.S. is incredibly sheltered to whats going on elsewhere.

It's called the American Dream...because you have to be asleep to believe it - George Carlin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 04:30 PM

2,050 posts, read 3,878,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Highly disagree with that... U.S. is incredibly sheltered to whats going on elsewhere.

It's called the American Dream...because you have to be asleep to believe it - George Carlin
I agree. I always thought I was pretty cultured having grown up in such different and distinct areas. It wasn't until I first stepped foot in Europe that I had a whole new understanding.. since then I have been traveling atleast twice a year

Old 09-03-2009, 04:33 PM

8,904 posts, read 6,258,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
I agree. I always thought I was pretty cultured having grown up in such different and distinct areas. It wasn't until I first stepped foot in Europe that I had a whole new understanding.. since then I have been traveling atleast twice a year

I feel the same way. I think I've learned a lot, but until I went to Bermuda when I was 21, I realized there's still a lot I need to learn/see outside the US.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:32 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,796,979 times
Quote:
Quote:
It's tough NOT to be sheltered when the only other nations that border us are Canada and Mexico.

We don't really need to know languages other than Spanish or English, or be truly in tune with countries that are thousands of miles away across vast oceans.

Sure, it's cool if people are enlightened and engaged in World events. But this isn't Europe. We don't have a bunch of diverse nations and languages crammed onto one continent like they do. We don't have any real need to be well versed in 5 languages or whatever. The notion that we are "sheltered" due to any sort of character flaw with our people is probably a little overblown. Some truth, yes, but not much.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:43 PM

2,047 posts, read 1,756,746 times
knowing the difference between a gothic and romantic church

can recognise Aaron Copeland's "Fanfare for the Common Man", "Rodeo", or Mozart's "Eine kleine Nachtmusik" or the opening, not 4th, opening movement to Beethoven's 9th.

can speak a foreign language decent,ie. B1 or better level per Goethe Language Inst. level

can find at least 48 US states on the map ( I could see maybe confusing some of the smaller new england states perhaps)

naming 80% of Canadian provinces and 50% of their capitals.

finding Egypt, Austrailia, Austia, and Luxembourgh on a map with success.

knowing if Nicolas Sarkozy is center-left or center-right

knowing if Franz Marc was a member of "Der Blaue Reiter" or "Die Brueke" movement in Munich

telling me the art movement that Picasso was famous for

knowing the difference between a later stage Kandinsky and a Van Gogh at first sight

naming the island Napoleon was exiled to

naming the current Tory leader in England the the most likely successor to become PM

knowing how much money the French gov't had to give to it's banks to bail them out

describing the Lisbon Treaty and the next country to vote on it

Old 09-03-2009, 06:18 PM

8,904 posts, read 6,258,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
knowing the difference between a gothic and romantic church

can recognise Aaron Copeland's "Fanfare for the Common Man", "Rodeo", or Mozart's "Eine kleine Nachtmusik" or the opening, not 4th, opening movement to Beethoven's 9th.

can speak a foreign language decent,ie. B1 or better level per Goethe Language Inst. level

can find at least 48 US states on the map ( I could see maybe confusing some of the smaller new england states perhaps)

naming 80% of Canadian provinces and 50% of their capitals.

finding Egypt, Austrailia, Austia, and Luxembourgh on a map with success.

knowing if Nicolas Sarkozy is center-left or center-right

knowing if Franz Marc was a member of "Der Blaue Reiter" or "Die Brueke" movement in Munich

telling me the art movement that Picasso was famous for

knowing the difference between a later stage Kandinsky and a Van Gogh at first sight

naming the island Napoleon was exiled to

naming the current Tory leader in England the the most likely successor to become PM

knowing how much money the French gov't had to give to it's banks to bail them out

describing the Lisbon Treaty and the next country to vote on it

I know the answers to most of that. Then again, I'm a teacher and had multiple majors/minors while going to different colleges.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:50 PM

5,643 posts, read 3,928,486 times
We now live in a global economy. We cannot isolate ourselves anymore like in the 1950s. We HAVE to know and care about what is going on around us in the world.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:28 PM

1,923 posts, read 3,103,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
We now live in a global economy. We cannot isolate ourselves anymore like in the 1950s. We HAVE to know and care about what is going on around us in the world.
I'm not sure that's totally true. If you are interested in other parts of the world, that's fine. I really don't have much interests in countries outside of the US, except for Canada. It's not right or wrong just personal interest.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:29 PM

9,939 posts, read 8,489,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCounty View Post
New York City is the most diversified city in the world, which makes their citizens the most cultured in the world. New Yorkers don’t want the culture of the deep south and the hey yall mentality. If New York City adopted that culture then I would move immediately.
Interesting opinion.

NY's self proclaimed reputation for being the arbiter of culture and diversity aside, is NY hostile to any other American cultures or just Southern ones?

Old 09-04-2009, 08:49 PM

12,395 posts, read 14,056,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Interesting opinion.

NY's self proclaimed reputation for being the arbiter of culture and diversity aside, is NY hostile to any other American cultures or just Southern ones?
nyc isn't hostile to any culture, nyc is hostile to ignorance. nyc and other truly world class cities are in general trying to push the envelope of human civilization and what is possible. other regions are often just leading their daily lives. true if your views do not line up with modern economics/science/french existentialism/etc/etc then nyc is probably hostile to that. also true many in nyc have no clue what is going on and leading their daily lives as well. but many of the aforementioned schools of thought go to nyc b/c they know what they want to do gets accomplished there. nyc has a huge concentration of intellectuals. all these people from harvard, yale, princeton, mit more often than not are going to nyc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.