U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 08:01 PM

19,879 posts, read 31,779,619 times

Advertisements

Experience, coupled with intellectual curiosity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 08:34 PM

4,036 posts, read 8,479,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
But to be truly cultured, you have to actually know about the cities people talk about. Far too common on here people tend to speak about cities they've never been to.. I try and ONLY talk about areas I've traveled. I just notice that if there is any city or location near NYC (NJ, LI, Conn., Philly, etc) that New Yorkers will almost definitely pick that area or strictly speak about it.. it's just a shame that NYC is such a great place, but the people don't really know about outside of the immediate area.
Part of the problem is that you're using an unusual, or at least expanded, definition of the word. Most New Yorkers use the term with regard to education, especially in the arts and humanities.

The original definition of "cultured" (I looked it up in the OED) was about the selective breeding of plants or things purposefully grown, like cultured pearls. Its closest synonym is "cultivated." People, like plants, can be cultivated or cultured. It has nothing to do with "culture" in the sociological sense.

(For a working definition see: Cultured Definition | Definition of Cultured at Dictionary.com)

The word certainly has elitist implications, and some people find it obnoxious (or offensive), but the meaning is established. To equate being "cultured" with cultural sensitivity or multiculturalism is to strain language.

Your point that some New Yorkers can be chauvinistic, or even solipsistic, is fair, but it has nothing to do with being cultured.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:19 PM

9,190 posts, read 29,190,851 times
Where I come from, you're cultured if you drink beer out of a frosted mug instead of straight from the bottle.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:24 PM

12,825 posts, read 18,801,544 times
What makes one cultured?

Wearing lots of black. Having an asymmetrical haircut. Stressing out about culture venues and events. Drinking Ricard (or even better yet, absinthe!). Never going to Starbucks. Living in a flat. Having no car, an old (real) Mini or a Smart Car. Etc.

/sarc

Old 09-01-2009, 09:30 PM

15,284 posts, read 21,385,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
know how to use a knife and fork
can dance ballroom
wear your pants above the hips
own a tie
like and enjoy some form of classic art form
can read and write
at least speak one language well
Sounds like my boss's job description.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:00 PM

11,240 posts, read 16,017,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
know how to use a knife and fork
can dance ballroom
wear your pants above the hips
own a tie
like and enjoy some form of classic art form
can read and write
at least speak one language well
Know how to use a knife and fork: Yes but I don't use them "properly".
Can dance ballroom: Nope.
Wear your pants above the hips: Not what I'm wearing now.
Own a tie: Nope.
Like and enjoy some form of classic art form: Not in this lifetime.
Can read and write: Yes and very well.
At least speak one language well: Yes but only when I'm called on in school.

I guess I'm not a cultured individual as of yet.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:02 PM

8,900 posts, read 12,410,614 times
Have traveled to more than half the states in the country.
Have been to multiple countries.
Enjoy food from all over the world and have food from all over the world right in my area.
Grew up having friends from all around the world.
Can carry on a decent conversation about anything really.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:05 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,648,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
It seems like (on here atleast) that a vast majority of East Coaster (particularly NYC and surrounding areas) think they are more cultured because they live in NYC.

But from viewing most of their posts, it seems like it's the opposite. It seems like most have not actually traveled the US or the world for that matter.

I'm not sure if I'm the only one who gets that perception. But to be truly cultured, you have to actually know about the cities people talk about. Far too common on here people tend to speak about cities they've never been to.. I try and ONLY talk about areas I've traveled. I just notice that if there is any city or location near NYC (NJ, LI, Conn., Philly, etc) that New Yorkers will almost definitely pick that area or strictly speak about it.. it's just a shame that NYC is such a great place, but the people don't really know about outside of the immediate area.
That is definitely true. Some (but not all) seem to have never been outside their own city.

One is cultured when they have experienced many different places, many different ethnicities, many different cuisines

Old 09-01-2009, 10:22 PM

8,489 posts, read 17,117,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Have traveled to more than half the states in the country.
Have been to multiple countries.
Enjoy food from all over the world and have food from all over the world right in my area.
Grew up having friends from all around the world.
Can carry on a decent conversation about anything really.
Only one of those listed could really help define someone as cultured and that is conversation.

Travel and varied foods and friends does not make anyone cultured in the least.

If I eat kashata do I automatically become cultured?

Old 09-01-2009, 10:45 PM

8,900 posts, read 12,410,614 times
Well, being open-minded to other cultures, interacting with them, traveling to different countries, that will make you cultured. The word culture is in "cultured" obviously, and cultures therefore mean different nationalities and countries. I think that makes someone more cultured than carrying on a conversation. I'd say I'm pretty cultured after living in the most diverse county in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.