U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 03:56 PM

8,904 posts, read 6,825,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy1 View Post
If you truly believe everything NYC is the best, then "being cultured" waved bye bye to you long ago.
Well, generally they are. Most people know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 04:08 PM

4,390 posts, read 5,648,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy1 View Post
If you truly believe everything NYC is the best, then "being cultured" waved bye bye to you long ago.
Well NYC is the most cultured city in the whole U.S. So yeah NYC have the best of everything.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:17 PM

5,643 posts, read 4,261,766 times
Default It takes time to get from Point A to Point B

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Ah, so that explains why New Yorkers like to scurry down the street so quickly as if they are being followed by Ivan's Grand Inquisitor, they are actually afraid that they are.

I should have known it all along. You've got to watch those Dostoevsky fans closely, they are a paranoid, neurotic, and introspective lot who not to be trusted.
especially when you are WALKING in Manhattan on Mondays through Fridays 9 to 5. You are literally walking through masses of people all trying to get to work, back from lunch, meetings, etc. You even have to follow the rules of driving; going north right side of street, going south left side of street.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:18 PM

7,886 posts, read 9,719,658 times
I don't know how this is on the cusp of turning into another "Lets hate on NYC because of ________" thread.

NYC is cultured, I have friends of different races, religions, ethnicities, etc. and I have learned so much, there's a wide variety of people, food, backgrounds. I haven't been to another country yet but I know so much about many countries. This qualifies as "cultured city" to me.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I don't know how this turned into another "Lets hate on NYC because of ________" thread.

NYC is cultured, I have friends of different races, religions, ethnicities, etc. and I have learned so much, there's a wide variety of people, food, backgrounds. I haven't been to another country yet but I know so much about many countries. This qualifies as "cultured city" to me.

Exactly...that's what I'm trying to say. I have no idea why they feel the need to hate on people from this area when we experience things that most of them never really got to experience. I learned so much from my friends from other countries growing up. It taught me to be more open-minded and accept all walks of life. My mom also took me into the Village and showed me the historic places where the first gay rights were taken place. I got to see the rich on Park Ave, but also the bums on the street who I offered money to. You're exposed to a lot in NYC as a kid.

Anyway, you and I come from the most diverse county in the country. That alone produces some of the most cultured people in this country.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:36 PM

1,712 posts, read 1,933,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
lol I don't think so. I think a lot of people would disagree... I must not be cultured; I grew up going to world famous museums, had children from all over the world in my neighborhood, saw the richest and poorest zip codes growing up, can talk about different countries I've been to with anyone. Nah, that's not cultured at all
I am talking about other areas of the country OUTSIDE of NYC.

Talking with others about their home countries is very different than actually visiting those countries

Old 09-02-2009, 04:38 PM

7,886 posts, read 9,719,658 times
Default Only in New York

Quote:
Exactly...that's what I'm trying to say. I have no idea why they feel the need to hate on people from this area when we experience things that most of them never really got to experience. I learned so much from my friends from other countries growing up. It taught me to be more open-minded and accept all walks of life. My mom also took me into the Village and showed me the historic places where the first gay rights were taken place. I got to see the rich on Park Ave, but also the bums on the street who I offered money to. You're exposed to a lot in NYC as a kid.

Anyway, you and I come from the most diverse county in the country. That alone produces some of the most cultured people in this country.
A lot of the schools I've been to had people from all over, it reminded me of the UN. I know a lot of Spanish from just being around people, I could understand it but I just can't peak it yet lol. My best friend is Jewish and we exchange gifts with each other on both Hanukkah & Christmas. I'm a very open minded.

This is probably the best thing about growing up in NYC, I wouldn't change it for anything.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
A lot of the schools I've been to had people from all over, it reminded me of the UN. I know a lot of Spanish from just being around people, I could understand it but I just can't peak it yet lol. My best friend is Jewish and we exchange gifts with each other on both Hanukkah & Christmas. I'm a very open minded.

This is probably the best thing about growing up in NYC, I wouldn't change it for anything.
You can find all that in LA, SF, Houston, DC, Chicago and Miami as well

Nothing against NY, but some people on here think that the only place where there are cultured people is NY and that is definitely not true.

As we have seen on this site there are some very provincial and narrow minded NY'ers as well as cultured ones. You can say the same about other cities as well

Old 09-02-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
I am talking about other areas of the country OUTSIDE of NYC.

Talking with others about their home countries is very different than actually visiting those countries

Knowing people from all over the world does make a person cultured. How can you deny that? You become more open-minded when you learn of other cultures. And yes, I have been outside the country many times.

Not just that, but what about things you have seen your entire life? Like going to the Museum of Natural history often growing up to see the dinosaur bones, climbing the Statue of liberty when you're 4 years old, eating Thanksgiving dinner in a fancy hotel where George Washington used to stay, traveling to different historic areas of the country to learn about what it was like in, say, the Colonial period, going to camps where there are children from all over the world, getting to talk with famous bands from around the world, plus more.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Knowing people from all over the world does make a person cultured. How can you deny that? You become more open-minded when you learn of other cultures. And yes, I have been outside the country many times.

Not just that, but what about things you have seen your entire life? Like going to the Museum of Natural history often growing up to see the dinosaur bones, climbing the Statue of liberty when you're 4 years old, eating Thanksgiving dinner in a fancy hotel where George Washington used to stay, traveling to different historic areas of the country to learn about what it was like in, say, the Colonial period, going to camps where there are children from all over the world, getting to talk with famous bands from around the world, plus more.
So, by your definition, Houston would have highly cultured people since it is one of the most diverse cities in the country

I think that this plays a part in being cultured but my point is that some people of a diverse city are not highly cultured. You can tell by the way they talk and act
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.