Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 03:53 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,326,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
You can find all that in LA, SF, Houston, DC, Chicago and Miami as well

Nothing against NY, but some people on here think that the only place where there are cultured people is NY and that is definitely not true.

As we have seen on this site there are some very provincial and narrow minded NY'ers as well as cultured ones. You can say the same about other cities as well
I know NYC isn't the only "cultured city" but based on the responses on the other pages one would think that it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 03:54 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Default One of my best friends growing up was Greek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
A lot of the schools I've been to had people from all over, it reminded me of the UN. I know a lot of Spanish from just being around people, I could understand it but I just can't peak it yet lol. My best friend is Jewish and we exchange gifts with each other on both Hanukkah & Christmas. I'm a very open minded.

This is probably the best thing about growing up in NYC, I wouldn't change it for anything.
When I went over her home, they always spoke Greek. Actually, her parents were deaf and they signed in Greek. Her parents also could lip read and apparently understand English too since when I spoke to them they understood what I was saying.

Yes, growing up I also had friends from Puerto Rico. They not only spoke Spanish, but I was over there house many times for dinner. If not for them, I would never had had rice and black bean, ham hocks, or fried plantans(?) either.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:55 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
So, by your definition, Houston would have highly cultured people since it is one of the most diverse cities in the country

I think that this plays a part in being cultured but my point is that some people of a diverse city are not highly cultured. You can tell by the way they talk and act

That's just one aspect. I also grew up going to some of the most famous museums, so I can carry on a 10 minute conversation about famous art pieces I've seen, the history of dinosaurs after going to the Museum of natural history a lot to see/read about it, the latest technology from going to the Sony Wonder lab here.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:55 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Default You just don't get it.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
It taught me to be more open-minded and accept all walks of life.
And unfortunately it seems you forgot how to be like that based on many of your posts here. Do you not step back and take a look at what you say about other parts of the country? Specifically the SOUTH and TEXAS. So yeah I guess you do accept all walks of life as long as they are not Southern, Texan, or a Floridian.

I don't have a problem with your personally but just have observed the way you talk to others and about other parts of this country and much of it comes off as incredibly narrow minded, judgmental, and prejudice. One would think a "cultured" person could appreciate and understand all different types of culture, including Southern, without unnecessarily bashing it.

Quote:
Anyway, you and I come from the most diverse county in the country. That alone produces some of the most cultured people in this country.
Being from NYC and/or Queens County does NOT make anyone automatically "cultured". It certainly gives you an advantage that many people do not have living in that type of environment but does not automatically make one cultured. Ignorant, uncultured people exist in big cities and small towns all over the place.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:56 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Knowing people from all over the world does make a person cultured. How can you deny that? You become more open-minded when you learn of other cultures. And yes, I have been outside the country many times.

Not just that, but what about things you have seen your entire life? Like going to the Museum of Natural history often growing up to see the dinosaur bones, climbing the Statue of liberty when you're 4 years old, eating Thanksgiving dinner in a fancy hotel where George Washington used to stay, traveling to different historic areas of the country to learn about what it was like in, say, the Colonial period, going to camps where there are children from all over the world, getting to talk with famous bands from around the world, plus more.
Did those camps and hotels have a requirement that all going there be from NY?

I know people that have never been to NY that are far more cultured than most NYers. I also know NYers that have lived there thier entire lives and are not cultured in the least.

A city in and of itself does not make someone cultured.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post

I know people that have never been to NY that are far more cultured than most NYers. I also know NYers that have lived there thier entire lives and are not cultured in the least.

What are you talking about with the hotels and camps? That makes no sense... I often went to hockey camps with women from around the country, sometimes the world. I played against teams from all over the place. I made it as far as the equivalent to pro in women's hockey. I met so many people from all backgrounds growing up.

I've lived elsewhere besides downstate NY, too.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:59 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,697,811 times
Quote:
So, by your definition, Houston would have highly cultured people since it is one of the most diverse cities in the country

I think that this plays a part in being cultured but my point is that some people of a diverse city are not highly cultured. You can tell by the way they talk and act
Well maybe but no cities can be compared to NYC. NYC is the most cultured city in the US if not in the World.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:01 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,697,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post

Yes it does, because you will be surrounded with many types of cultures around you

Old 09-02-2009, 04:02 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,102,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Yes it does, because you will be surrounded with many types of cultures around you
Not every culture is represented in NYC

Old 09-02-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Not every culture is represented in NYC

How Many Languages Are Spoken in Queens, NY?

And that's just one county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.