Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 05:04 PM

8,488 posts, read 20,545,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
What are you talking about with the hotels and camps? That makes no sense... I often went to hockey camps with women from around the country, sometimes the world. I played against teams from all over the place. I made it as far as the equivalent to pro in women's hockey. I met so many people from all backgrounds growing up.

I've lived elsewhere besides downstate NY, too.
What do you mean it makes no sense?

You have been going on and on about being afforded all these opportunities to become cultured due to you living in NY. I just figured they must have been reserved for those from NY since you act as if someone from Savanah, GA could never have these opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 05:05 PM

8,488 posts, read 20,545,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Yes it does, because you will be surrounded with many types of cultures around you
You are my exhibit #1.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:05 PM

11,327 posts, read 20,247,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Not every culture is represented in NYC
Of course I mean you're not gonna see a group of Aborigines hop out of the subway but NYC has a very wide variety of culture.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:07 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,839,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Of course I mean you're not gonna see a group of Aborigines hop out of the subway but NYC has a very wide variety of culture.

lol yeah. No where in the world will you find every culture represented. But NYC (specifically Queens) has the most languages spoken out of the entire country, so therefore it has the most cultures that we were exposed to growing up

Old 09-02-2009, 05:08 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,658,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
You are my exhibit #1.
And you are my.... I'll let you figure it out. Lets see if you can get it

Old 09-02-2009, 05:08 PM

11,327 posts, read 20,247,246 times
Quote:
lol yeah. No where in the world will you find every culture represented. But NYC (specifically Queens) has the most languages spoken out of the entire country, so therefore it has the most cultures that we were exposed to growing up
Exactly .

Old 09-02-2009, 05:09 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,090,419 times
Quote:
You just don't get it do you?

Many many people have showed you other aspects to being cultured and how one can be uncultured in NYC

Just give it up

Old 09-02-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:

Many many people have showed you other aspects to being cultured and how one can be uncultured in NYC

Just give it up

I'm not saying EVERYONE in NYC is cultured, but it probably has the largest number of cultured people. You know, this was turned around onto me with people insulting me. I had to prove them wrong (even though I know it isn't worth it) that I AM more cultured than most people on here are. Someone from NYC who isn't cultured is someone who doesn't feel the need to see the world beyond their borough, never spends their free time discovering things about cultures/the world/their city.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If I went to NYC could I, for example, get country cooking in a downtown restaurant, hear bluegrass music on the radio, visit some farms and go to the theater to see some buck dancing? Could I see how quilting is done, butter is made or visit an Indian reservation? So, quit patting yourselves (not you, the poster --- generally speaking) on the back about how diverse your culture is in NYC and other urban locations. Your culture is DIFFERENT. It's not better or as diverse as you think it is. You are just so cocooned in urban culture with a like-minded media that reinforces how special you (and they) are that you believe it.

Actually, my best friend lives in Manhattan and frequently goes to a bar that plays country/blue grass music, bull-riding, Nascar on tv, etc.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:14 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,658,832 times
Quote:

Just give it up
The only people that are not uncultured are the people that do not get from their house. However if they go out to places, they will be exposed to different type of people and different cultures
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.