Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2009, 04:16 PM

223 posts, read 829,252 times

Advertisements

I heard there is like 180 to almost 200 different languages spoke in New York City sounds like alot of culture to me!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 04:16 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,102,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I'm not saying EVERYONE in NYC is cultured, but it probably has the largest number of cultured people. You know, this was turned around onto me with people insulting me. I had to prove them wrong (even though I know it isn't worth it) that I AM more cultured than most people on here are. Someone from NYC who isn't cultured is someone who doesn't feel the need to see the world beyond their borough, never spends their free time discovering things about cultures/the world/their city.
Prove who wrong? No one is insulting you, they are pointing out where you and that one other person are wrong

Just curious, do you think that there are cultured people in other cities?

Old 09-02-2009, 04:18 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Prove who wrong? No one is insulting you, they are pointing out where you and that one other person are wrong

Yes, people were insulting me earlier. I proved them how much I've been around and experienced my entire life. Then the topic was changed to how some people in NYC are uncultured. Interesting how the debate gets turned around once I prove people wrong.

Yes, of course there are other cultured people in other cities. But mostly the big cities in the country.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:20 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post

Other cities maybe cultured, but not like in NYC.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:21 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,489,551 times
Quote:
What are you talking about with the hotels and camps? That makes no sense... I often went to hockey camps with women from around the country, sometimes the world. I played against teams from all over the place. I made it as far as the equivalent to pro in women's hockey. I met so many people from all backgrounds growing up.

I've lived elsewhere besides downstate NY, too.
Sigh.

You really don't get it. Not at all. You think your experience was unique, that living in New York gave you experiences that couldn't possibly be matched elsewhere in the country. Your experiences are different than mine, but that's based on geography, not exposure. As a child, I'd go to museums nearly every weekend. Yes, believe it or not, those institutions exist outside New York. (Hard to imagine, I know, but it's absolutely true.) I've traveled the world, and I feel pretty confident I've seen a bigger chunk of it than you. Same thing with the good ol' USA. I've stood staring at the ceiling in the Sistine Chapel. I've smoked hash in Amsterdam. I've baled hay in Colorado. I've climbed mountains in Alaska and Guatemala. I've seen almost every statehouse in every state capital. I dabble in four languages other than English. I've been to the opera on more than one occasion. I drink in dive bars and listen to honky tonk. I've read thousands of books in my life, many of which have had over a thousand pages. I've hung out with the famous and the low-down. But you don't hear me brag that I'm cultured. You know why? Because like with people who insist they have class or that they're honest, if they have to brag about it, it ain't true.

I will readily admit the city of New York has incredible access to cultural amenities, but purely by benefit of living in the city doesn't mean it's rubbed off on anyone. Your attitude reminds me of that old Garfield poster in every classroom when I was a kid. You know the one, "I'm learning by osmosis." But culture doesn't just seep in! Being around other people who are cultured or are of a different culture doesn't mean you're the same. This is what you don't get, and this is why so many people here find your words offensive.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Sigh.

You really don't get it. Not at all. You think your experience was unique, that living in New York gave you experiences that couldn't possibly be matched elsewhere in the country. Your experiences are different than mine, but that's based on geography, not exposure. As a child, I'd go to museums nearly every weekend. Yes, believe it or not, those institutions exist outside New York. (Hard to imagine, I know, but it's absolutely true.) I've traveled the world, and I feel pretty confident I've seen a bigger chunk of it than you. Same thing with the good ol' USA. I've stood staring at the ceiling in the Sistine Chapel. I've smoked hash in Amsterdam. I've baled hay in Colorado. I've climbed mountains in Alaska and Guatemala. I've seen almost every statehouse in every state capital. I dabble in four languages other than English. I've been to the opera on more than one occasion. I drink in dive bars and listen to honky tonk. I've read thousands of books in my life, many of which have had over a thousand pages. I've hung out with the famous and the low-down. But you don't hear me brag that I'm cultured. You know why? Because like with people who insist they have class or that they're honest, if they have to brag about it, it ain't true.

I will readily admit the city of New York has incredible access to cultural amenities, but purely by benefit of living in the city doesn't mean it's rubbed off on anyone. Your attitude reminds me of that old Garfield poster in every classroom when I was a kid. You know the one, "I'm learning by osmosis." But culture doesn't just seep in! Being around other people who are cultured or are of a different culture doesn't mean you're the same. This is what you don't get, and this is why so many people here find your words offensive.

Well then you're an example of being cultured. But I gave plenty of examples, not just being surrounded by hundreds of cultures every day. I was just proving to people how that can add to someone being cultured. But that one aspect doesn't make one very cultured, just a little.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:23 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
When I went over her home, they always spoke Greek. Actually, her parents were deaf and they signed in Greek. Her parents also could lip read and apparently understand English too since when I spoke to them they understood what I was saying.

Yes, growing up I also had friends from Puerto Rico. They not only spoke Spanish, but I was over there house many times for dinner. If not for them, I would never had had rice and black bean, ham hocks, or fried plantans(?) either.
That's an interesting story. When I was younger I was exposed to a lot of foods (I still am too), my Grandmother always made Pasteles I think it was Puerto Rican, they taste so good, there were things I refused to eat though lol.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:24 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Yes, people were insulting me earlier. I proved them how much I've been around and experienced my entire life. Then the topic was changed to how some people in NYC are uncultured. Interesting how the debate gets turned around once I prove people wrong.

Yes, of course there are other cultured people in other cities. But mostly the big cities in the country.
In what way have you proven anyone wrong?
You started out by trying to claim that just living in a city with many different nationalities automatically will make someone cultured.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:25 PM

^^Pages ago people were insulting me.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:27 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
^^Pages ago people were insulting me.
Welcome to the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.