Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 06:25 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,832,379 times

Advertisements

If you are going to travel out there be sure to see both Portland and Seattle. You may like one better than the other as some folks do. Yes Portland actually gets a little more rain on average than Seattle. They are kind of similar as far as weather goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 06:30 PM

18,962 posts, read 32,424,325 times
Portland has better public transit than Seattle and is cheaper but I feel that Seattle is more cosmopolitan/sophisticated. Both are good choices though.

Also maybe consider Chicago.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:24 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,580,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter21 View Post
- a wet, dense metropolis (more urban than suburban) with disproportionately cloudy weather (the less sunshine the better) and lots of high-rise buildings

- cosompolitan/sophisticated culture (not a sports town)

- solid public transportation (city where a lot of young people don't have cars)

- good female-to-male ratio/lots of girls in their 20's

Most important to me are the weather and city-aspects. I am from New York City and am looking to move somewhere for college with more overcast/bleaker and drearier weather.

I'm making a list of cities to go visit that fit these characteristics so I can accurately determine where I'd like to go to college.

Thanks a lot in advance, I truly do appreciate it.
Didn't you just describe Seattle?

Old 09-01-2009, 08:33 PM

433 posts, read 872,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
,You do realize you are describing NYC to a T.
How can New York City not be a sports town. You have the baseball hall of fame two baseball teams as well as two football teams. Many consider N.Y.C. to the basketball "mecca" of the world.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:46 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,492,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Portland has better public transit than Seattle and is cheaper but I feel that Seattle is more cosmopolitan/sophisticated. Both are good choices though.

Also maybe consider Chicago.
No, not Chicago. If NYC isn't cloudy enough for him, neither will be Chicago.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:30 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,847,329 times
Seattle-University of Washington and Minneapolis-University of Minnesota-Twin Cities seem to fit your description exactly.

Also try Madison, WI (have to forefit some tall buildings, but the city will more than make up for it) and Chicago, IL (DePaul or UI-Chicago).

Old 09-01-2009, 09:33 PM

23,310 posts, read 43,763,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter21 View Post
- a wet, dense metropolis (more urban than suburban) with disproportionately cloudy weather (the less sunshine the better) and lots of high-rise buildings

- cosompolitan/sophisticated culture (not a sports town)

- solid public transportation (city where a lot of young people don't have cars)

- good female-to-male ratio/lots of girls in their 20's

Most important to me are the weather and city-aspects. I am from New York City and am looking to move somewhere for college with more overcast/bleaker and drearier weather.

I'm making a list of cities to go visit that fit these characteristics so I can accurately determine where I'd like to go to college.

Thanks a lot in advance, I truly do appreciate it.
Sounds like Seattle to a "T".

Old 09-01-2009, 10:25 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,627,064 times
Minneapolis gets a lot of sun. If that's a deciding factor I'd stay away. Otherwise it could be a good fit.

What about San Francisco? Lots of fog to keep you happy, plus very urban, decent public transportation, and a lot of young people.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:20 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,973,129 times
Not sure if you are going to find a better fit than NYC but I was thinking maybe Cleveland or perhaps Boston. If you are willing to leave the U.S. Montreal might work.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:33 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,142,848 times
Besides Seattle and Portland, you might consider Vancouver, BC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.