Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 11:03 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times

Advertisements

I was just talking about this to a friend in the south. During family get-togethers, how do you greet one another? Do you only hug those in your immediate family, or kiss those just in your immediate family?

I don't know if this is a cultural thing or not, but my family is from NYC and Long Island, and my family and most friends are mostly Italian. Even if we don't really know the others at a get-together, we'll give them a one handed hug and a kiss on the cheek. Even if we never saw them before. The guys tend to give each other a hug and pat one another on the back. I don't know if this is a NY thing or Italian thing.

So how do you greet others during family functions/get-togethers/bbq's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 12:04 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
just say "how's it goin"

maybe a handshake and maybe a hug just depending on how close they are to someone

Old 09-02-2009, 01:28 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I was just talking about this to a friend in the south. During family get-togethers, how do you greet one another? Do you only hug those in your immediate family, or kiss those just in your immediate family?

I don't know if this is a cultural thing or not, but my family is from NYC and Long Island, and my family and most friends are mostly Italian. Even if we don't really know the others at a get-together, we'll give them a one handed hug and a kiss on the cheek. Even if we never saw them before. The guys tend to give each other a hug and pat one another on the back. I don't know if this is a NY thing or Italian thing.

I do the same thing. One of my College professors that he was Italian told me that the only people that do this are the Italians and Hispanics. What do you think? Do you think this is true?

Old 09-02-2009, 03:50 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Hmm I don't think hugging or kissing people you don't know well is common here. For one some people really don't care for that so you don't want to make them uncomfortable. Although with family get-together there might be an intimation of closeness even if you don't actually know your third cousin twice removed or what have you.

We have a large, per-capita, Italian community nearby so it might be different for them. I'm not really sure though and if it is I think it might partly be because relatively few of them are total strangers to each other. I know my Aunt was surprised to meet an Italian in the area she didn't know. (My Aunt is not Italian, but her first husband was.) I don't live in a real urban part of the nation so the "large Italian community" I mean is a few thousand at most. I believe they're fairly interconnected through marriage and business. (Not making a stereotype about Italians really, most groups are fairly interconnected as it's a small area)

Anyway the kissing and hugging thing I think is somewhat common in Mediterranean cultures, not just Italian or Spanish ones. I'm pretty sure Arabs kiss as a greeting. The French do to, although their culture isn't quite as Mediterranean in origin. I seem to recall East Asian cultures have the least physical interaction between non-intimates with Japanese rarely touching each other in conversation. (By "touch" I just mean any kind of touch. Handshake, pat on the head, anything. Japanese I think are about the least likely to do any of that. The bow requires no physical contact whatsoever)

Old 09-02-2009, 06:31 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post

Well, Italian and from Long Island, originally - hug and kiss.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:35 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
I got one of those Italian families that does the hug and kiss thing. Lots of the older guys do the kiss on the cheek too.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:38 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I do the same thing. One of my College professors that he was Italian told me that the only people that do this are the Italians and Hispanics. What do you think? Do you think this is true?
I would have transferred out of that class immediately.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:36 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
^His professor didn't do this to him. They were just having a discussion about it. I don't see the big deal.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:39 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,777 times
Strong, silent Scandinavian type...

...we exchange glances.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:12 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times
For my family it's shake hands with the men and give hugs to the women that's on my stepdad's side which is larger (he has 13 siblings). On my mom's side (very small she has one sister 30 years her senior and I was raised an only child) it's usually hiya no hand shakes or hugs just hi, maybe a hug from my aunt. Both sides are from the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.