U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2007, 01:57 PM

955 posts, read 3,326,840 times

Advertisements

We use to do this in Denver as well if people wanted to go as we went on our regular touristy stops (depending on day of the week and time of day) - I worked in the area so wanted to show folks the conditions... a real eye opener (some people need a reality check about what is happening right here in the US).
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 08:31 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,220,621 times
I am a visitor Living in a bad side of town!

Old 08-22-2008, 08:47 PM

5,728 posts, read 9,104,385 times
Only if I am trying to lose them or want to make enemies out of them. :-)

Old 08-22-2008, 10:42 PM

3,070 posts, read 10,715,642 times
I grew up and lived in bad neighborhoods most of my life, I dont like going back that often. Sometimes I take my friends or people I know through a bad area intentionally to let them know where Im from or that every place isnt nice, especially friends who are from different places or suburban places.

But generally, no.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:55 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,919,033 times
My first though was LOL. Then I remembered taking my mother to uptown Charlotte because I just wanted her to see it. Unfortunately, it was at about midnight because that was when I found the time and she was going home the next day. Her remark was, "Let's get out of here." She was absolutely frightened by the people she saw mulling around. I told her that the car doors were locked and we had plenty of gas and the car was almost new, so it would probably keep going. She was not impressed. So then I tried my best not to stop at any stop lights. It was an experience for both of us.

I don't think that most people would think that uptown Charlotte was the bad side of town, but my mother lived on more than 50 acres in a community with little diversity. Uptown Charlotte was a shocking sight for her.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:57 PM

12,083 posts, read 34,207,063 times
Did some work on Detroits nasty side years ago. It was two different places depending on whether the sun was out or the moon. Daytime, some friendly (not nice, or even good folks, but they were friendly) people around, but when it started to get close to sunset, one of the guys told me I should be going now because it was going to be dark soon and then he would have to beat on me with his friends because I didn't belong in their part of town after dark. Needless to say I packed up and returned to finish the following morning. He had coffee going and donuts waiting for me when I got there, but reminded me I had to be long gone before it got dark again.

But family and friends through the roughest neighborhoods around those cities? No, maybe a nasty area, but not one where you stand a good chance of getting lead poisoning because you are in "their" (whomever that may be) neighborhood.

For the town I live in now, shoot yeah I would take them through the "bad" part. I would give them a walking tour of those 2 or 3 blocks anytime day or night. The "bad" area here is better than most good areas in other towns I have lived in . That is one of the reasons I live where I do, nice safe place to raise my kids without worry of gangs, and that foolishness.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:15 AM

536 posts, read 1,951,387 times
Im taking my boyfriend to the "bad" part of town in a few weeks since that's where I grew up, he's going to have to get used to the ghetto birds hovering 24/7.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:38 AM

5,812 posts, read 16,678,033 times
I'm not sure most people couldn't handle seeing the decay and the danger. It's easier to ignore the poor and turn a blind eye. We all do it. It's easier to act like these neighborhoods don't exist, but every city has them.

I think one reason that hoods are so bad is that people are afraid to go there, therefore it's not a desirable part of town, ergo people are poor, consequently crime goes up, and finally, people are afraid to go there.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:40 AM

11,189 posts, read 22,415,451 times
After I moved from Iowa and my friend Melissa was coming to visit Chicago, I drove her down 79th street on a Friday night through Englewood.

Such a smart idea!

Old 08-23-2008, 04:25 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,091,313 times
I only show visitors that I don't like the bad part of town.
Maybe when they leave they might go there on their own and I won't have to put up with them again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or