U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2008, 06:37 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,352,966 times

Advertisements

I drive thru them to goto work but I would show a vistor that Orlando is not all sea world and mickey mouse here.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 07:24 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,219,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
I drive thru them to goto work but I would show a vistor that Orlando is not all sea world and mickey mouse here.
I hear that! I lived there years ago and besides all the constant traffic I didn't really notice any really horrible parts of town except for OBT going towards Kissimmee
My friend still lives there though and says it's getting worse unfort.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:09 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,637,755 times
A number of years ago I ended up in the bad part of the west side of Chicago. A friend gave me directions to a place I needed to meet up with him. I had a bad feeling on the directions and sure enough I was right. Never, ever again. I will always follow my inner sense of security.

It was the worst urban experience of my life.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:49 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,264,139 times
My friend from small-town rural PA is coming to visit tomorrow. She's going to meet my class at our field trip to the Bronx Zoo. After the zoo, she's going to meet me at the school (in the south Bronx) at dismissal. She said she wants to see what it's like. She's also bringing her 2 young kids, so she wants to show them what low-income city life is like.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:09 AM

4,037 posts, read 8,089,406 times
I grew up in a pretty rough neighborhood in Georgia. Now I live in a nice suburb in the DC area. I have been through the rough part of DC only three times. Once was by accident getting lost but all three times I stayed in car with the doors locked and got out of there as quickly as possible.

So no I avoid the bad neighborhoods as much as possible. I lived there so why would I want to go back if I didn't have to? Especially if I didn't know the area. I have a few visitors coming up this summer just taking them downtown. I don't see the appeal and isn't a little insulting to those who live there to have someone drive up having a blast looking at the poor people at their expense?

Old 04-07-2009, 07:35 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,871,495 times
"Do you ever take out of town visitors to visit the bad side of town?"

Only if they've stayed too long and I intend to leave them there.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:52 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,639,816 times
Sometimes. Its quicker to get to certain areas by driving through a bad part. Its no big deal really, even at night. People need to get it out of their head that they will randomly get shot just by driving through a bad part of town. That does not happen. I've worked in cities up and down the east coast, in some of the worst neighborhoods and nobody will bother you for the most part.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:57 PM

894 posts, read 2,111,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
After I moved from Iowa and my friend Melissa was coming to visit Chicago, I drove her down 79th street on a Friday night through Englewood.

Such a smart idea!

79th doesnt go through Englewood, i think you should go back to Iowa or look on a map dude

Old 04-07-2009, 04:13 PM

2,735 posts, read 5,960,274 times
No, if I don't drive through the bad neighborhoods, why would I subject my company to it? That being said, apparently we go into the bad neighborhood in Roanoke when we go eat at Zaxby's which we have to rofl at. Bad neighborhood? Please, we just moved from outside Atl, we'll show you bad! We laugh at your bad! So yes, now being here, we'll probably take people through the bad neighborhood lol, we're fearless!

Old 04-07-2009, 04:35 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,022,091 times
When my mom thought my brother and I were acting ungrateful, she would drive us to areas in the city I grew up in where people lived in shantys that lacked windows, etc. (not a good thing in the upper midwest). Our family would have been best categorized as moderate income, so it was almost a practice in "we don't have much money, but it could be a lot worse" type of thing.

It's funny to me that people would be scared to drive through any area anywhere- the likelihood of anything bad happening to you from driving through a "bad" area is probably less than the chances of winning the lottery. As far as the whole doing it for a novelty/ circus act type of thing, IMO that's pretty disrespectful to the people living there (and I would somewhat include my mom's outings in this category). Of course there are times where it might be good to increase someone's awareness which would be a different story- I would suggest people "drive through" in an effort to find a place (or recruit other people to find a place) to volunteer at- rather than treating the people and places of a neighborhood as your own personal fishbowl, get out of the car and do something to make a positive impact in an agency that serves the neighborhood's interests.

On another note - when giving directions to our house, there have been times where we have steered some of our small-town relatives around rougher parts so to speak - not bad areas at all, but can never tell what their perspective might be, and the alternate routes are really nice drives that showcase the area's best assets. Plus the side of town our neighborhood is in gets the rap of being the "bad" side of town so we like to break down negative/ unjustified stereotypes as much as possible.

Last edited by Camden Northsider; 04-07-2009 at 04:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or