U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 04:46 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,261,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
It's funny to me that people would be scared to drive through any area anywhere- the likelihood of anything bad happening to you from driving through a "bad" area is probably less than the chances of winning the lottery.

Actually, there's this area in eastern Queens here in NYC that's very bad at night. My fiance taught at the HS there. Didn't happen to him, but other teachers warned him about stopping at red nights at night. Some teachers had bullets shot at their cars while stopped at red lights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 07:26 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,717,071 times
I know when we go visit Dallas, my friends always take us to BIG T'S and Oakcliff.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:37 PM

8,047 posts, read 16,097,254 times
Fall River (pop 92,000), a "tough" city near where I grew up (though not as bad overall as cities like Camden, NJ, etc) has some tough neighborhoods. However, the tough neighborhoods tend to have some of the best restaurants. Two of my favorite dive bars are in the worst neighborhood in the city. Cheap drinks, interesting company, good bar food (many Portuguese items) and a complete disregard for last call (which is 2am in this city) make it one of my favorite places have a drink. There are relatively frequent shootings in this area (Busta Rhymes was once arrested at a bar in this neighborhood... they have pictures and a clip from the newspaper article hanging up), but there are some great value attractions and as long as you're not involved with gang activity or drug dealing, you're highly unlikely to run into any trouble beyond people giving you a bit of a hard time from time to time. In short, I do take friends and family out here for drinks or food because it's quality stuff at a good price. I wouldn't want to bring kids up there though.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:45 PM

8,047 posts, read 16,097,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Sometimes. Its quicker to get to certain areas by driving through a bad part. Its no big deal really, even at night. People need to get it out of their head that they will randomly get shot just by driving through a bad part of town. That does not happen. I've worked in cities up and down the east coast, in some of the worst neighborhoods and nobody will bother you for the most part.
Exactly! Most violent crime in even the worst cities is NOT random. The vast majority of these violent crimes are calculated and usually linked to some sort of gang activity, drug activity, or personal grudges. Random crime is an issue, but it happens almost everywhere... in good neighborhoods AND bad ones. Common sense and avoiding high risk activities (i.e. joining/ supporting a gang, buying/selling drugs, etc) can keep you safe in even the highest crime neighborhoods.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:30 PM

7,836 posts, read 19,595,862 times
Oh Yeah!!! I do this for fun, they get so scared that it amuses me!

Old 04-08-2009, 05:00 AM

2,736 posts, read 5,959,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Exactly! Most violent crime in even the worst cities is NOT random. The vast majority of these violent crimes are calculated and usually linked to some sort of gang activity, drug activity, or personal grudges. Random crime is an issue, but it happens almost everywhere... in good neighborhoods AND bad ones. Common sense and avoiding high risk activities (i.e. joining/ supporting a gang, buying/selling drugs, etc) can keep you safe in even the highest crime neighborhoods.
Not so true. I remember years back in San Diego, a family in a mini van, I believe they were from somewhere else, ended up lost and in a bad area of SD. They went down a road and gang members blocked them in and opened fire on them, I think the whole family was killed, including a toddler. I can't remember the story fact for fact, but I think you improve your risks driving through gang banger territory.

Not to mention that low life gang bangers are terrible shots and when they are shooting at rival gang members, almost always take innocent people out.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:31 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,638,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
Not so true. I remember years back in San Diego, a family in a mini van, I believe they were from somewhere else, ended up lost and in a bad area of SD. They went down a road and gang members blocked them in and opened fire on them, I think the whole family was killed, including a toddler. I can't remember the story fact for fact, but I think you improve your risks driving through gang banger territory.

Not to mention that low life gang bangers are terrible shots and when they are shooting at rival gang members, almost always take innocent people out.
Note that he said a vast majority. There are isolated incidents but they are very very rare. The chances of catching a bullet while driving in a bad neighborhood from a gang member that can't shoot straight are extremely rare.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:46 AM

8,345 posts, read 14,121,629 times
I always take my out of town visitors to the rough parts of Indianapolis. If they are from Evansville or Bedford; their reaction is one of horror, on one occasion I was BEGGED to "get out of this pit ASAP." When I take my Chicago friends into the rough parts of Indianapolis; they ask me to stop joking and take them to the real ghetto.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:54 AM

9,369 posts, read 18,035,767 times
The only reason I would have for driving someone around the bad neighborhoods would be to warn them that they need to avoid this area. But to drive around and gawk at the poor folks like a trip to the zoo is not cool. I lived in a dumpy tenement in a section of NYC along the Brooklyn/Queens border, and the thought of someone driving through there and pointing out my crappy apartment building to their suburban friends is insulting. While I didn't live in the worst section of NY, I still wouldn't consider offering a guided tour of the cities worst neighborhoods unless someone asked. Even then, there are places in this country where you are asking for trouble if you do. I had family members who took a wrong turn in a dangerous section of Roosevelt L.I. back in the 80's, there were well over 100 thugs from that section jumping on cars that passed through and pulling people out of their vehicles and beating them down. It was a bad scene and just a random act of severe violence that never made it to the news. Today something like that would be headline news across the country, back then it was just another day in the 'hood.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:08 AM

2,736 posts, read 5,959,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Note that he said a vast majority. There are isolated incidents but they are very very rare. The chances of catching a bullet while driving in a bad neighborhood from a gang member that can't shoot straight are extremely rare.

Oh well heck, guess everything I've heard about gang bangers being monsters is all false. Next time we are in Atl, we'll just head into the jungle and have a road side picnic, right smack dab in the middle of gangland. I'm sure nothing will happen.

Once while living in Missouri, we drove up to KC for bbq, took a wrong turn and ended up in the projects. We saw two police officers on foot and stopped to ask them how to get to where we were going. They told us "you do know that you are in the projects and you need to get out of here NOW"...guess they were exaggerating about our safety being in jeopardy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or