Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 08:24 PM

7 posts, read 43,246 times

Advertisements

Looking for suggestions of areas to explore that would fit our criteria for a city with all seasons, lots of greenery, mountains and family friendly out west.

We have lived in Scottsdale, Arizona for the past 19 years and ready to leave the two climates of hot and not so hot of this area. We are a family of 5 with children ages 7, 6 and 4 and good schools are important.

We would prefer to move to a city that is green, has four distinct seasons, close to the mountains, housing for around $600K and not heavily taxed. We love to ski, mountain bike and hike. We lived in Vancouver, Canada for 2 years and really miss the forest and the outdoor activites. We loved having the city nearby and the diversity of the city.

We both have jobs that we can relocate with. Here are some of the things we are looking for:

-Somewhere in the west
-close to mountains for skiing and biking and hiking
-great family environment, good place to raise a family
-good schools, and good student to teacher ratio (Scottsdale just raised it to 30 kids per class and 27 for kindergarten)
-place to feel safe
-sports teams both college and professional to cheer and occasionally go to a couple games
-weather with all seasons, snow is fine, especially over the holidays
-cost of living affordability (housing, food, gas, etc.)
-get nice house for the money and plenty of room for home office and kids
-transportation nearby (easy to fly in and out
-city nearby if we want to go there
-good culture (museums, aquariums, fun places to hang out)
-ocean or lake nearby
-little humidity
-sunny days
-it rains to keep the place green
-nice scenery
-lots of variety
-restaurants nearby and grocery store variety
-small to medium town feel but not so much that everyone knows your business and accessible to conveniences nearby within 20 minute drive
-And most importantly opportunities for the kids in school and sports

Is there a place like this that exists? We have been looking into Oregon, Washington and Northern California. We thought of Colorado but it seemed very flat. Also, the one place my husband would love to be is Lake Tahoe but I feel it is a little too isolated. He would prefer a mountain town feel. I'm not really sure if there is a place that would fit this description so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 09:28 PM

6,729 posts, read 6,724,376 times
Six places that might come close:

Coeur D'Alene, Idaho
Missoula, Montanta
Laramie, Wyoming
Eugene, Oregon
Sammamish, Washington
Bellingham, Washington

Old 09-04-2009, 07:30 AM

596 posts, read 1,706,716 times
Boulder, Colorado.
Boulder, Colorado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Boulder itself is relatively flat, they couldn't build on mountain peaks. But the town itself is completely surrounded by mountains and it's never a far trip from any part of town to mountain trails. The Flatirons are amazing. Flatirons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Boulder is unbelievably beautiful, has a great quality of life and a good place to raise kids.
http://www.rap.ucar.edu/research/ver...07/Boulder.jpg

It's home to the University of Colorado which brings a lot of cultural and sporting events to town.
Virtual Tour | University of Colorado at Boulder

Boulder is unparalleled for outdoor activities year round, and more.
Best of Boulder

Colorado has more sunny days than Florida.

Plenty of housing options in your price range that fit your needs. I'd attach listings but the moderators get bent out of shape. Suffice to say, you can find a nice selection of 4 to 5 bedroom homes with around 3000-3500 square feet (and upwards) for 600K or less.

Boulder is close enough to Denver to take advantage of attending games of 4 pro sports teams (NFL's Denver Broncos, MLB's Colorado Rockies, NHL's Colorado Avalanche and NBA's Denver Nuggets).

Old 09-04-2009, 07:58 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
why not stay in AZ and go to Flagstaff? I can't attest to the schooling , but I think it fits all your other criteria, and you're still in AZ, if you like the state as a whole.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:54 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,898,263 times
Check out Idaho the most mountainess state in the Lower 48.
Boise is a great city and fits your wish list.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:05 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,561,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
why not stay in AZ and go to Flagstaff? I can't attest to the schooling , but I think it fits all your other criteria, and you're still in AZ, if you like the state as a whole.
you beat me to it, this is exactly what I thought as well, they only avg. 100 inches of snow a year, more than Mnpls/St.Paul or Milwaukee for instance.

ironically, I think Flagstaff fits most everything they want. If you look at some photos from around there it looks like Lake Tahoe or Yosemite areas with the ponds, evergreens and mountains.

what about Reno, perhaps too isolated.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:24 PM

911 posts, read 2,155,406 times
I'd consider Utah or Colorado.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:48 PM

107 posts, read 137,598 times
Colorado! Flat? Huh? I live in CS and I've lived in flat places. This is not one of them.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:59 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
what about Reno, perhaps too isolated.
City Data says Reno's air quality index is 218, which is worse than New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, and Houston.

Old 11-15-2016, 06:01 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aislin View Post
Colorado! Flat? Huh? I live in CS and I've lived in flat places. This is not one of them.
Colorado is as flat as a pancake. But, unfortunately, the pancake got wrinkled. As if it were draped over some weird Lego structures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.