Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 09:14 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times

Advertisements

First off I'd like to thank anyone who can help lead me in the direction of finding my next place.

About me: single, female, late 40's, somewhat of a gypsy, self employed so don't need a job where I land, just internet and the phone. I currently live in Sedona AZ and while I love it and it's idyllic in many ways, I also feel I am out in the middle of no where without many immenities and am impacted by the transient nature of the place as friends are always leaving. I also miss historic homes, older architecture and general quaintness.

What I am searching for:

A quaint place that is also on the affordable side with character and cottage type homes or older victorians (think Romantic Cottage magazine).

A safe walkable town with friendly people who are open to newcomers. Possibly with an artsy feel.

Lots of activities - art walks, festivals, tree lightings etc. and other things to do for someone my age.

Immenities including regular shopping, a health food store (at least near by) and perhaps a gym.

I like hot, warm or mild climates with sun. I cannot do the grey OR or WA type weather. Although I prefer not to, I could be open to a little winter if not too harsh.

As far as size goes, not so small that I will go crazy, and even up to a few hundred thousand people. If a place comes to mind that is a different size, please mention it so I can check it out.

Has an airport within 2 hours maximum.

I really like nice surroundings (have lived in Victoria BC and Sedona) and value open minded people. I am open right now to at least look anywhere.

One place I am considering is Fairhope AL but if you know any comparable places anywhere, please let me know.

Thanks again, I know it sounds like utopia but I feel I will find it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 09:22 PM

23,444 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Savannah, GA
Beaufort, SC
Wilmington, NC
Oxford, MS
Asheville, NC
St Augustine, FL
Charlottesville, VA
Athens, GA

BTW, Fairhope, AL is a great place for what you're looking for, IMO.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Savannah, GA
Beaufort, SC
Wilmington, NC
Oxford, MS
Asheville, NC
St Augustine, FL
Charlottesville, VA
Athens, GA

BTW, Fairhope, AL is a great place for what you're looking for, IMO.
Thanks so much for your quick response LovinDecatur. I just got back from Fairhope and I loved it however I think I would perfer if it was a touch bigger but it is so close to many other places that it may just be perfect. A move is such a big thing that I want to make sure I get it right.

With the exception of:
Wilmington, NC
Oxford, MS
Which I don't know anything about, I have at least looked at the other spots on the list today on CD.

Do you think Fairhope is the best of the lot?
Thanks again .

PS from the Savannah GA post it sounds unsafe...I think the crime would scare me there.

Last edited by adventuregurl; 09-05-2009 at 09:40 PM..

Old 09-06-2009, 09:10 AM

23,444 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Thanks so much for your quick response LovinDecatur. I just got back from Fairhope and I loved it however I think I would perfer if it was a touch bigger but it is so close to many other places that it may just be perfect. A move is such a big thing that I want to make sure I get it right.

With the exception of:
Wilmington, NC
Oxford, MS
Which I don't know anything about, I have at least looked at the other spots on the list today on CD.

Do you think Fairhope is the best of the lot?
Thanks again .

PS from the Savannah GA post it sounds unsafe...I think the crime would scare me there.
Like any city of it's size, Savannah has some dicey neighborhoods...but the overall perception of crime seems to be overstated on this forum IMO. It's in the city's best interest to keep the historic area under control, as it is heavily trafficed by tourists and SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design) students.
I do love Fairhope, and you are right...it is well located, and you're a reasonable distance from Pensacola, Mobile and even New Orleans. The only possible negative might be that it has too much of a "rich person" vibe for your taste.
Honestly, if I were you, I would give the most serious consideration to Wilmington, NC. I have been told more than once that it has a surprisingly strong arts community, great climate, water access, and much of the historic Charleston/Savannah vibe coupled with a lower COL in the historic areas.

As far as the others:

Oxford, MS is so charming, but very much a college town...the others have much more of a city feel. I would say the same of Charlottesville.
St Augustine's historic area is great, but very touristy.
Asheville, NC is very popular with artists, and is lovely...but it has definitely been 'discovered' and the prices reflect that.
Beaufort, SC is great; a smaller-scale version of Charleston and Savannah.

I would be pleased to settle in any of these places, which is why I recommended them.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:42 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
If you do not mind the winter, West Chester PA may be a great choice.

Downtown West Chester PA - The Perfect Town, Downtown West Chester Pennsylvania and West Chester BID

West Chester - Live | Classic Towns of Greater Philadelphia

Old 09-06-2009, 09:46 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,115 times
City of Rome, Georgia

Old 09-06-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Like any city of it's size, Savannah has some dicey neighborhoods...but the overall perception of crime seems to be overstated on this forum IMO. It's in the city's best interest to keep the historic area under control, as it is heavily trafficed by tourists and SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design) students.
I do love Fairhope, and you are right...it is well located, and you're a reasonable distance from Pensacola, Mobile and even New Orleans. The only possible negative might be that it has too much of a "rich person" vibe for your taste.
Honestly, if I were you, I would give the most serious consideration to Wilmington, NC. I have been told more than once that it has a surprisingly strong arts community, great climate, water access, and much of the historic Charleston/Savannah vibe coupled with a lower COL in the historic areas.

As far as the others:

Oxford, MS is so charming, but very much a college town...the others have much more of a city feel. I would say the same of Charlottesville.
St Augustine's historic area is great, but very touristy.
Asheville, NC is very popular with artists, and is lovely...but it has definitely been 'discovered' and the prices reflect that.
Beaufort, SC is great; a smaller-scale version of Charleston and Savannah.

I would be pleased to settle in any of these places, which is why I recommended them.
Thanks LovinDecatur, this really helps me out!

Old 09-06-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
It looks wonderful but I think it would be a bit too much winter for me.

Last edited by adventuregurl; 09-06-2009 at 03:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.