U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Thread summary:

Milwaukie resident seeking to relocate, tired of McMansions, over priced oversized SUVís, fake tans, cold weather, designer trendy clothing, snobby people

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-30-2007, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Broken Arrow, Ok
48 posts, read 113,003 times
Reputation: 74

Advertisements

Hi all- Just a rant/vent. I've lived in suburban Milwaukee most of my life , and I'm wondering if others are getting as frustrated with the area as I am.
I love to bicycle, but can no longer take the weather. Obviously, it's cold most of the time, but to make matters worse, when it finally does warm up, you can count on 20+ mph winds, making cycling dificult, not to mention hazardous.
Then there's the social climate. Growing up here in the 70's and 80's it was nice here. you had friendly folks, plenty of woods and farmland teeming with wildlife. Most of the woods and farms are gone now, replaced by overpriced Mc Mansions, or "luxury" housing. Most(not all) of the friendly people have been replaced by standoffish, self-centered affluent people, who drive oversized and overpriced SUV's with a cell phone glued to their ears, and their noses in the air. Where fake tans, designer clothes seem to be Government Issue, where people are judged by the car they drive, and their investment portfolios.
Just wondering if there are any places that would be an improvement over this snob infested overpriced wind tunnel that might be worth looking into. Thanks all!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-30-2007, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Phoenix metro
20,005 posts, read 69,394,911 times
Reputation: 10115
Unless you can afford Honolulu or LA, youre not going to find a place with "good" weather. No matter where you move, parts of the year for EVERY state are going to SUCK. People are quick to move elsewhere, due to silly reasons like "its too cloudy sometimes" or "people are snobby" or "its too hot", etc, just to find out where they moved to is just as obnoxious, then they try and find ways to get back home, because thats where the heart is. Before you rush out of state because you feel its "too windy" to bike, sit down and think reaaaalllll hard, dont make the mistake I did by moving out of state for such reasons, you'll regret it, Im sure. Also, if you cant find a place to bike in WI, I dont know where else you will. ;-) SW Wisconsin is a mountain biker/road bikers dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2007, 08:21 PM
 
Location: Broken Arrow, Ok
48 posts, read 113,003 times
Reputation: 74
Default Thanks Steve-o

Thanks Steve-o for the input, sometimes a cooler more logical head is needed I'd hate to move and be sorry i did. Are you moving back?

Don't get me wrong, there IS alot of biking beauty in WI, it's just that SE WI, all the "good" roads and scenery is torn up or getting crowded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2007, 07:54 AM
 
5,641 posts, read 17,308,313 times
Reputation: 3979
This winter here in the midwest was worst than most. Just nasty. SW wisconsin is great, spent many vacations there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2007, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Wi for the summer--Vegas in the winter
653 posts, read 3,132,534 times
Reputation: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
This winter here in the midwest was worst than most. Just nasty. SW wisconsin is great, spent many vacations there.
You are so correct. Being myself from Wisconsin, SW Wisconsin it totally different from the rest of the state. Rolling Hills, Valleys, many small communities with tons of caracter and charm. La Crosse, on the Mississippi River is gorgeous. People in this part of the state friendlier, more laid back and more liberal than in other parts of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2007, 12:45 PM
 
Location: Southern California
3,455 posts, read 7,298,838 times
Reputation: 1410
lets not overlook the winter though. If you dont like winter that much...you might be happier to move somewhere else. It was a particularly bad winter this year...but if your unhappy six months of the year I would suggest looking south, south west, south east, or just to the mid-states like Arkansas, Kentucky, etc....you can have winter there too - but it doesn't have to dominate your life.

Winter is a fact of life in Wisconsin....if its not your thing, you dont HAVE to stay! I'd suggest a few road trips. There is so much in this country besides Wisconsin -- I like Wisconsin, but its not my favorite. you dont have to settle there if its not you.

One thing though...you will find more of the kind of people you seem to not want to be around...in other places. Wisconsin is not a hot spot for the type you have described...though it may seemed to have grown with development in the last few years...that will be worse in many other places.

Judging by your personality I would look into places like Missouri, Arkansas, Tennesee, or the Carolina's maybe....still laid back but much warmer...but you still have winter (and lots more interesting biking opportunities)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2007, 04:50 PM
 
Location: Metro Milwaukee, WI
3,198 posts, read 11,330,726 times
Reputation: 2167
Hey Turpentine -

I think I can relate very strongly to you. You didn't mention your age, but I am a male in my early 30s. Like you, was born, raised, and lived in the metro Milwaukee area from age 0-27. I moved to Albuquerque, NM a bit over 3-years ago for many of the same frustrations / reasons as you site.

I am an not a bicycle guy, but am an avid runner...some similarities. So I had to chuckle at your frustrations with the weather...I had many of those too. I remember doing a 5K at the Milwaukee Zoo one January, and the temperature was -3 F at the start (not factoring wind chill). I at that point noted I would never again race at a temperature lower than ~30ish...it was just nuts. I also remember one late March doing my usual Sunday long run...it was about 35 degrees, snowing rather hard, with 45+ mph wind gusts blasting right at me; I got home, turned on the Weather Channel while trying to defrost, and saw Indianapolis, only a few hours to the south, was clocking in in the 70s. I nearly tore my hair out.

Beyond the weather, I also tired of many Milwaukeeans and suburbanites' attitudes for many of the same reasons as you. I did tire quite a bit of the gruffer/more intense demeanor, the materialism, etc. While I agree with many here who have stated that this is a big problem (and even bigger in some places - you should see how bad it is in metro Phoenix or metro Dallas/Fort Worth or metro Miami...just out of control) in many other metro areas in the U.S., Milwaukee does not get a pass here (and I love MKE)...folks there really - in general / broad terms - often have fallen prey to trying to emulate the affluent Chicago suburbs, and a corresponding lifestyle. There surely is also (again, I love MKE so I am not "bashing" it) a bit of an inferiority complex rampant in many facets in the metro area. Here in Albuquerque, for instance, a rapidly growing Sunbelt city, materialsm and "attitudes" are still no where like they are in Milwaukee metro, although perhaps in 20 years or so that will (regrettably) change - surely I hope not.

So I guess first what I am saying is that I don't think your feelings or observations are all that radical. I felt most of them strongly at the latter portion of my 20s. At that point, I was desperate to get out of Milwaukee metro, and started to really almost despise the place (in a love-hate relationship sort of way).

I am also not one to say that the grass isn't greener on the other side of the fence. That just boils down to personal preferences and priorities. For instance, there is no way to sugar-coat it - Albuquerque (just in my case of comparison) has far better weather than Milwaukee annually. Are there occasional days that are an exception? Sure. We get crummy weather days here just like anywhere does. But yeah, if weather is by far your #1 consideration, you can obviously do better than Metro Milwaukee. Or, say you hate the property taxes in metro Milwaukee...again, no way to sugar-coat it, you can find cheaper costs of living elsewhere.

Having said all of that though...

In my 3+ years of living in Albuquerque, despite absolutely loving the city, region, and area, I have grown to miss metro Milwaukee tremendously and am actively looking very likely to move back. Not only do I have roots there and have that "it is my home" fond connection, but I have learned to TREMENDOUSLY appreciate many things about metro Milwaukee that assuredly I never did, or never would have, had I just continued to plug along living there.

Yep, the cost of living is tough. The more standoffish, arrogant attitudes of many is tough. The weather...often can be tough. However, there are so many great things about the area that I always took for granted (and now realize) that I could not list them all here...maybe I will do so in a different thread.

Now, within the last 6-months to a year, I would be very happy if I could live in Metro Milwaukee again. And it isn't because Albuquerque isn't what I thought it would be - Albuquerque is a great, great place to live. Beyond the weather, I could list 100 reasons why it is a great place to live, and I have very little bad to say about it.

But believe it or not...for all of its faults (and, like all areas, there are definite faults in Milwaukee Metro)...MKE and its 'burbs are great places to live.

Maybe, like me, it will take you eventually moving away to come to realize that, and that is okay. Even if I get back to Milwaukee next month, I will never be sorry I moved to Albuquerque (and at many times of the year, weather-wise, I am sure I will miss the sunny skies, dry air, and mild temps). And maybe if you tried somewhere, you'd never want to move back to MKE, and that is great too...then you found somewhere that was a better fit. I know after my wife and I moved down to the Southwest, we had our first two children, and that changed our outlook and perspective and priorities heavily too...sometimes life-altering events happen and change your perspective.

But if you do stay in Milwaukee metro, rest assured that your frustrations I think are relevant and not without merit. However, also rest assured that while the area doesn't necessarily thrill folks at the mention of it like maybe some places in the South or Southwest do, it has just a ton of great things going for it that you'd very likely miss when you'd be gone. I "got away" for many of the same reasons you did, and here 3+ years later am hoping to "be back" for a long time soon! And I know I am not alone...a good friend was in Phoenix for 6+ years and ended up packing up and heading to Oconomowoc and is thrilled he did.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2007, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Katy-zuela
4,852 posts, read 8,989,338 times
Reputation: 2364
Luckily, Chicago is very close by. Chicagoland seems to be expanding north to Milwaukee and northwest to Rockford.

Or how about getting out of the midwest and into another part of the country (like the south ) or leaving for another country to expand your horizons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2007, 09:02 PM
 
Location: Phoenix metro
20,005 posts, read 69,394,911 times
Reputation: 10115
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Hey Turpentine -

I think I can relate very strongly to you. You didn't mention your age, but I am a male in my early 30s. Like you, was born, raised, and lived in the metro Milwaukee area from age 0-27. I moved to Albuquerque, NM a bit over 3-years ago for many of the same frustrations / reasons as you site.

I am an not a bicycle guy, but am an avid runner...some similarities. So I had to chuckle at your frustrations with the weather...I had many of those too. I remember doing a 5K at the Milwaukee Zoo one January, and the temperature was -3 F at the start (not factoring wind chill). I at that point noted I would never again race at a temperature lower than ~30ish...it was just nuts. I also remember one late March doing my usual Sunday long run...it was about 35 degrees, snowing rather hard, with 45+ mph wind gusts blasting right at me; I got home, turned on the Weather Channel while trying to defrost, and saw Indianapolis, only a few hours to the south, was clocking in in the 70s. I nearly tore my hair out.

Beyond the weather, I also tired of many Milwaukeeans and suburbanites' attitudes for many of the same reasons as you. I did tire quite a bit of the gruffer/more intense demeanor, the materialism, etc. While I agree with many here who have stated that this is a big problem (and even bigger in some places - you should see how bad it is in metro Phoenix or metro Dallas/Fort Worth or metro Miami...just out of control) in many other metro areas in the U.S., Milwaukee does not get a pass here (and I love MKE)...folks there really - in general / broad terms - often have fallen prey to trying to emulate the affluent Chicago suburbs, and a corresponding lifestyle. There surely is also (again, I love MKE so I am not "bashing" it) a bit of an inferiority complex rampant in many facets in the metro area. Here in Albuquerque, for instance, a rapidly growing Sunbelt city, materialsm and "attitudes" are still no where like they are in Milwaukee metro, although perhaps in 20 years or so that will (regrettably) change - surely I hope not.

So I guess first what I am saying is that I don't think your feelings or observations are all that radical. I felt most of them strongly at the latter portion of my 20s. At that point, I was desperate to get out of Milwaukee metro, and started to really almost despise the place (in a love-hate relationship sort of way).

I am also not one to say that the grass isn't greener on the other side of the fence. That just boils down to personal preferences and priorities. For instance, there is no way to sugar-coat it - Albuquerque (just in my case of comparison) has far better weather than Milwaukee annually. Are there occasional days that are an exception? Sure. We get crummy weather days here just like anywhere does. But yeah, if weather is by far your #1 consideration, you can obviously do better than Metro Milwaukee. Or, say you hate the property taxes in metro Milwaukee...again, no way to sugar-coat it, you can find cheaper costs of living elsewhere.

Having said all of that though...

In my 3+ years of living in Albuquerque, despite absolutely loving the city, region, and area, I have grown to miss metro Milwaukee tremendously and am actively looking very likely to move back. Not only do I have roots there and have that "it is my home" fond connection, but I have learned to TREMENDOUSLY appreciate many things about metro Milwaukee that assuredly I never did, or never would have, had I just continued to plug along living there.

Yep, the cost of living is tough. The more standoffish, arrogant attitudes of many is tough. The weather...often can be tough. However, there are so many great things about the area that I always took for granted (and now realize) that I could not list them all here...maybe I will do so in a different thread.

Now, within the last 6-months to a year, I would be very happy if I could live in Metro Milwaukee again. And it isn't because Albuquerque isn't what I thought it would be - Albuquerque is a great, great place to live. Beyond the weather, I could list 100 reasons why it is a great place to live, and I have very little bad to say about it.

But believe it or not...for all of its faults (and, like all areas, there are definite faults in Milwaukee Metro)...MKE and its 'burbs are great places to live.

Maybe, like me, it will take you eventually moving away to come to realize that, and that is okay. Even if I get back to Milwaukee next month, I will never be sorry I moved to Albuquerque (and at many times of the year, weather-wise, I am sure I will miss the sunny skies, dry air, and mild temps). And maybe if you tried somewhere, you'd never want to move back to MKE, and that is great too...then you found somewhere that was a better fit. I know after my wife and I moved down to the Southwest, we had our first two children, and that changed our outlook and perspective and priorities heavily too...sometimes life-altering events happen and change your perspective.

But if you do stay in Milwaukee metro, rest assured that your frustrations I think are relevant and not without merit. However, also rest assured that while the area doesn't necessarily thrill folks at the mention of it like maybe some places in the South or Southwest do, it has just a ton of great things going for it that you'd very likely miss when you'd be gone. I "got away" for many of the same reasons you did, and here 3+ years later am hoping to "be back" for a long time soon! And I know I am not alone...a good friend was in Phoenix for 6+ years and ended up packing up and heading to Oconomowoc and is thrilled he did.

Good luck!
Well said, CHEERS!

I often try to convey this message to many, but my words never seem to come out as nice as yours. VERY well written, VERY true! Home is where the heart is, no doubt. I see so many people leave their homes because of the weather, or the attitudes, or the jobs, etc. After a few years (or months in my case) they come to miss home, and all the stupid little things that made life so nice (like being able to roll around in grass---something you dont think of until you move away).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2007, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Metro Milwaukee, WI
3,198 posts, read 11,330,726 times
Reputation: 2167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Well said, CHEERS!

I often try to convey this message to many, but my words never seem to come out as nice as yours. VERY well written, VERY true! Home is where the heart is, no doubt. I see so many people leave their homes because of the weather, or the attitudes, or the jobs, etc. After a few years (or months in my case) they come to miss home, and all the stupid little things that made life so nice (like being able to roll around in grass---something you dont think of until you move away).
Thanks Steve-o.

Yeah...I really never appreciated things in Milwaukee metro such as the beautiful lakefront (it is gorgeous even when it is freezing cold), the "thrill" and celebratory nature of folks on those first few 70-80 degree days (here in ABQ no one bats an eyelash if it is 70-80), the convenience of going to NBA / MLB games in beautiful facilities at still reasonable prices, I actually miss snow somewhat (although we got a decent amount of that this year down here, too), I miss the beautiful lakeshore/lights view along the whole coastline in taking a small flight from Chicago up to Milwaukee, I miss being close to South Bend to be able to attend my own personal heaven-on-earth Notre Dame Stadium, I miss being able to take runs along the lakeshore, I actually miss humidity (although I don't miss mosquitos).

I could really just go on and on about the things I miss about metro Milwaukee. And the thing that affirms my feelings to me, that they aren't just nostalgic emotions, is that I live here in Albuquerque, in my opinion just a wonderful place that I have tons of great things to say about. So it isn't like I am "stuck" in a place I despise and just want to get out.

Truly though, what I miss about Milwaukee metro is the people. In my original post, I made a few criticisms of the general attitudes of folks in Milwaukee metro, and I stand by them. However, what I failed to mention is this -

In the southwest, at least where I am where materialism/showboating, etc., hasn't caught on as much yet, but even in other cities in this region, I find that overall, people are more laid back, in general friendly, easy going, etc., than people in Milwaukee metro - in general this is. People - especially males - seem to be more polite to strangers and have better manners to strangers in the southwest than they do in metro Milwaukee where people are more reserved and/or stick more to their known circles.

But having said that, I have also found the acquaintences - in general again of course - that you make in the southwest are more just that - acquaintences. Good folk, but not people you likely will become great, diehard friends with.

Contrast that with the folks in Milwaukee metro...sure, on average, you won't find as many polite, laid back nice folks, however, those that you do befriend...they will be your best friends for life. That is just the culture there...people when they get to know each other in general stay very great friends. They sincerely care about your and your needs, and will sincerely help you out when things are needed (and vice/versa). Folks will easily go out of their way to shovel their neighbor's 12 inches of snow, etc. And the people are fun, colorful, interesting - not the more bland, gray nice-but-sometimes-just that folks down in the Southwest.

All areas have their good and their bad...Milwaukee sure isn't excluded from that. I will never be pumped about long, gray winters from November to April. However, when everything is balanced, boy, I will defend Milwaukee any day of the week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top