U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 10:37 PM

4 posts, read 11,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Actually NorthPark is getting a Valentino's. It could easily give the Houston Galleria a run for its' money and even win. Don't underestimate.
uh Valentino is opening in Houston too ... Not sure if its in the Galleria or BLVD Place on Post Oak next to Hermes not to mention that DE BEERS is opening too.

Calvin Klein
Loro Piana
Celine
Burberry
Prada
Armani Collezioni
Bruno Magli
Emporio Armani
Via Spiga
Facconable

ALL have closed in Dallas

Theres NO Popeyes in The Galleria but there is a
Bice
&
Salvatore Ferragamo
Giorgio Armani
Yves Saint Laurent
Gucci
David Yurman
Dior
Bally of Switzerland
Bulgari
Movado
Carolina Herrera
Michael Kors
Louis Vuitton (Global Store)
Tiffany & Co. (Huge)
Baccarat
Gianni Versace
MaxMara
Christofle
Fendi
Stuart Weitzman
Barneys Co Op
Jimmy Choo
Cartier
Kate Spade
Burberry
Emporio Armani
Ralph Lauren
Lalique
St John
Chanel (huge store)
Cole Haan
Coach
Bottega Veneta (soon)
Tory Burch (soon)

& More all are located between Neiman Marcus & Saks Fifth ... both are some of the biggest stores in The country

theres also

Nordstrom
Dylands Candy
French Connection
Abercrombie & Fitch (elite store)
Armani Exchange
Miss Sixty/Energie
Bcbg
Keneth Cole
True Religion (soon)
Juicy Couture (soon)
Betsey Johnson
Swatch
Oakley
Sony Style
Guess
Fox Sports Grill
Disney
Sanrio

... uh huh ... exsackly
soo many stores soo little time

dont get me wrong dallas has some nice stores we dont have but NorthPark is sorta ugly it reminds me of a hospital, Dallas Galleria has some stores that are nobrand stores . I really like Diesel & Original Penguin in Dallas Barneys is awesome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 02:05 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,297,519 times
Burberry is open at NorthPark. And your list may seem impressive but Dallas has almost every store that Houston does PLUS some that Houston doesn't.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:55 PM

4 posts, read 11,769 times
Quote:
Burberry is open at NorthPark. And your list may seem impressive but Dallas has almost every store that Houston does PLUS some that Houston doesn't.
I know that brah ... I was referring to the one in Willow Bend ... Dallas has most of its stores spread out in different malls ..

Old 06-14-2007, 05:46 PM

450 posts, read 1,719,251 times
Many will disagree, but I enjoy the Mall of America in the Twin Cities. Very energetic, people from all over the world, diverse, a gathering place in a metro area that is unusually divided between the Minneapolis and St. Paul sides. The uniqueness of the often cold and always divided metro area and the unusally entertaining mall works very well. I don't feel it took away from downtowns, as there was no one common downtown in any case.

As far as layout though, gotta go with the Irvine Spectrum in Orange County, California. The layout feels very Mediterranean (it's outdoors), there's a couple of nice courtyards with live music and other things -- it does not feel like a mall to me.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:37 AM

455 posts, read 1,881,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Wait until Houston gets the first bloomingdale's in TEXAS in the old L&T space (now Galleria V) in the Galleria.
I bought a sofa at Bloomingdale's in Dallas in 1983, so any new one in Houston won't be the first in Texas. Bloomingdale's was at Valley View and closed after a few years.

I used to know someone in management there and asked them what contributed to the store's closing. At that time, Bloomingdale's purchasing was centralized and, instead of local management having a say in what merchandise they carried, central purchasing (New York) made all the decisions. Much of the clothing was inappropriate (wool sweaters in Dallas?) and the store was always HOT and uncomfortable to shop in - New York management also told them what temperature to set the thermostats at. I stopped shopping there for these very reasons and, apparently, others did, too. Oh well.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:47 AM

455 posts, read 1,881,563 times
I think NorthPark in Dallas is beautiful and timeless (non-trendy) in appearance. It's now 40 years old and just finished a huge expansion that blends seamlessly with original sections. Quality stores set in a museum-like atmosphere (with Nasher family sculpture rotating in and out) sets the standard for sophisticated shopping. Shoppers are well-heeled, well-mannered and well-dressed. It seems like everywhere one goes nowadays there are sloppy people who look like they just rolled out of bed and/or just washed the car. It's refreshing to shop at NorthPark where people look and act like they care.

The NorthPark Neiman-Marcus is one of (if not "the") highest grossing stores in the chain. The flagship Neiman's is still downtown and the second store was in Preston Center until it moved to NorthPark when it was built in 1965. So I guess Neiman's NorthPark could still be classified as the second Neiman's in the country.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:30 AM

3,073 posts, read 10,775,032 times
Quote:
The only point of sale in Dallas that Houston does not have that is considered popularly high end is Valentino. As of September. All of those other designers exclusive to Dallas (in Texas) aren't popular or regarded as high end.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt2le View Post
I bought a sofa at Bloomingdale's in Dallas in 1983, so any new one in Houston won't be the first in Texas. Bloomingdale's was at Valley View and closed after a few years.

I used to know someone in management there and asked them what contributed to the store's closing. At that time, Bloomingdale's purchasing was centralized and, instead of local management having a say in what merchandise they carried, central purchasing (New York) made all the decisions. Much of the clothing was inappropriate (wool sweaters in Dallas?) and the store was always HOT and uncomfortable to shop in - New York management also told them what temperature to set the thermostats at. I stopped shopping there for these very reasons and, apparently, others did, too. Oh well.
I hope Houston doesn't get a Bloomingdale's. I want a Barney's New York.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:48 AM

2,703 posts, read 2,612,958 times
Quote:
Same for Houston. Both cities have exclusive stores.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Same for Houston. Both cities have exclusive stores.
But Houston's selection is still better all in all. No connoisseur with good taste in couture and finest goods would argue that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or