U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2007, 11:19 PM

4,852 posts, read 9,008,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt2le View Post
I bought a sofa at Bloomingdale's in Dallas in 1983, so any new one in Houston won't be the first in Texas. Bloomingdale's was at Valley View and closed after a few years.

I used to know someone in management there and asked them what contributed to the store's closing. At that time, Bloomingdale's purchasing was centralized and, instead of local management having a say in what merchandise they carried, central purchasing (New York) made all the decisions. Much of the clothing was inappropriate (wool sweaters in Dallas?) and the store was always HOT and uncomfortable to shop in - New York management also told them what temperature to set the thermostats at. I stopped shopping there for these very reasons and, apparently, others did, too. Oh well.
Actually I was talking about the second round; this current round. Apparently Bloomingdale's is still centralized to this day since on the Macy's Inc. (formerly Federated's) website it is only one division out of the 8 divisions of Macy's Inc. The other 7 divisions are divisions of Macy's.

Inappropriate because they carried the wrong kinds of clothes too early/late (like the wool sweater in mid-fall or early-spring) or was it the style was not acceptable to the locale (too NY trendy)?

Speaking of the hot and uncomfortable store:
When I visited my first Bloomingdale's at Westfield Century City during my trip to L.A. three weeks ago, the store experience was great until I saw the merchandise that was being sold. The stuff looked like it could be easily sold in an upscale Macy's store. But the store associates were better trained than Macy's associates though. Then I had to use the Men's restroom and it was smelly, somewhat dirty/messy, and if I remember correctly the restroom was as humid as Houston. I couldn't believe that the restroom was messed up at a Bloomingdale's considering the kind of people who shop here and the reputation of the store.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 07:43 PM

606 posts, read 2,779,815 times
I hear minneapolis as one of the best. NYC, Detroit area , chicago, LA.

Old 07-21-2007, 07:58 PM

5,767 posts, read 10,313,475 times
I didn't like Mall of America that much. It just seemed like an overgrown version of a regular mall, with a kid's theme park plopped in the middle.

Also, I've seen bigger malls before, so the size wasn't even all that impressive.

One of my favorites is the Pioneer Place mall in downtown Portland, just because you can stand in the skywalk between buildings and get a nice view of Pioneer Courthouse Square. But it is fairly small for a mall, and the layout can be confusing.

One of the malls I DIDN'T like very much was the Great Lakes Crossing complex in metro Detroit. It's just one large oval, most of which has low ceilings. As a result, it feels bizarrely claustrophobic, even though the mall itself is quite big. There is no internal promenade or balcony where you get a panoramic view of things.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:52 AM

New York City doesn't have malls, it has an each indivindual clothing outlet in a skyscraper. but for malls, Chicago.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:14 AM

6,490 posts, read 16,183,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
The stuff looked like it could be easily sold in an upscale Macy's store. .... I couldn't believe that the restroom was messed up at a Bloomingdale's considering the kind of people who shop here and the reputation of the store.
What rep does Bloomie's have other than that of a slightly more upscale Macys? I actually like Bloomie's a lot more than Macys, L&T, Nordstrom/Facconable, or "Needless Marcups." I feel they carry more for "young men" while the others are more geared toward businessmen and golfers. It's also more affordable than Barneys.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:18 AM

6,490 posts, read 16,183,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityKing59 View Post
New York City doesn't have malls, it has an each indivindual clothing outlet in a skyscraper. but for malls, Chicago.
Well there is Manhattan Mall at 33rd and 6th.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:00 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,474,152 times
Some malls around the Chicagoland area are linked below. There are many more that Im forgetting, but shoppers? Knock yourselves out.

Stratford Square Mall - Bloomingdale, Illinois

Water Tower Place About Us (http://www.shopwatertower.com/html/mallinfo.asp - broken link)

The 900 Shops

Woodfield Mall

Oak Brook Center, Chicago shopping-mall-store from Chicago Traveler

Old Orchard , Chicago shopping-mall-store from Chicago Traveler

Gurnee Mills, Chicago shopping-mall-store from Chicago Traveler

Northbrook Court, Chicago shopping-mall-store from Chicago Traveler

Chicago Place, Chicago shopping-mall-store from Chicago Traveler

Westfield Purchase the Perfect Gift (http://www.westfield.com/northbridge/ - broken link)

Old 07-23-2007, 01:59 PM

Minneapolis, LA area, Detroit area, miami area, philly area.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:58 PM

554 posts, read 2,281,588 times
Specific Malls..

Old 07-23-2007, 10:30 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,287,351 times
I was going to nominate a mall in the Cleveland area, but then I'd be wasting your time.

Water Tower Place is amazing, but so all are the other towers on Michigan Avenue. My ex-girlfriend dragged me through each one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or