U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 10:50 AM

5,859 posts, read 14,053,448 times

Advertisements

We had two malls built here in the 80s that were supposed to revitalize downton St. Paul: Galtier Plaza and the "World Trade Center"/Town Square Plaza (that's what they called it when they built it). Both failed miserably. They had department stores, high end restaurants, night clubs, specialty stores, movie theaters, etc. Today, the buildings are still there, but most of the retail space has been converted to such uses as a DMV licensing station, state government offices, a storefront police station, and scads of private office space. A few restaurants remain, as well as the adjacent Dayton's/Marshall-Field's/nowMacy's department store that has been downsized and is subsidized by the City to stay put, but that's about it.

Now, some developer wants to build a huge new shopping reisdential and entertainment complex right across the river from downtown on some land that was slum-cleared in the 60s and converted to a bleak industrial area. People point out the failures of Galtier and WTC (now called Wells Fargo Place) but the developer takes out huge one page newspaper advertisments saying his development will be "different"!

Meanwhile, the big deal here is Mall of America. It is very successful, but it's owners claim they need tax subsidies to double its size. Me, I live less than a 10 minute drive from MOA, but I spend as little time there as possible.

Last edited by Ben Around; 05-01-2007 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 10:57 AM

Beuatiful Seattle pix, pwright. Was there the summer before last and that's how I remember it looking. All American cities should have downtowns as thriving and attractive as Seattle's.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:59 AM

1,486 posts, read 4,028,842 times
I have been to the Mall of America once. Basically a big boring mall. No interest.

Downtown Minneapolis and the area around the university are much better.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:42 AM

786 posts, read 4,320,749 times
I think the lifestyle outside malls are only nice on days that are 60-80 degrees, about 1/3 the year.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:18 PM

4,852 posts, read 8,996,558 times
How do these lifestyle centers survive when they are -30 C or +40 C outside? Houston's summertime can be brutal on lifestyle centers. Chicago's winters can be harsh on lifestyle centers. But then Old Orchard has survived 50 years in business.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:30 PM

653 posts, read 3,133,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Malls? Blah!

Give me a mainstreet or downtown district not an ugly, sprawling mall filled with boring suburbanites buying more junk for their cookie cutter homes.
I could not agree more!!! Malls-No Class, No True Caracter. They are a WASTE OF SPACE. I DESPISE them!!

Old 05-01-2007, 01:56 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,283,363 times
Lifestyle malls, i.e. The Village of Rochester Hills in my hometown in Michigan, and Crocker Park in Westlake, Ohio ... are awful when it is cold! Not authentic like a real downtown or comfortable like an indoor mall: yuck!

My favorite indoor malls, in no particular order:

Somerset Collection: Troy, Michigan
Woodfield: Schaumburg, Illinois
Beachwood Place: Beachwood, Ohio

Old 05-01-2007, 03:21 PM

331 posts, read 1,483,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post

it's owners claim they need tax subsidies to double its size.

Double its size?!?!?!
Please tell me you're kidding . . . .

Old 05-01-2007, 07:41 PM

414 posts, read 2,416,777 times
Default King of Prussia Mall -- The East Coast's Premier Shopping Destination

The King of Prussia Mall - King of Prussia, PA (approximately 20 miles west of Philadelphia)

Its got the upscale Plaza with Italian eateries, sushi, chinese, smoothie place, some restaurants, Hermes, Hugo Boss, Brooks Brothers, Armani Exchange, Versace, The Buckle, Diesel, Puma Store, Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, Lord and Taylor, Apple store, your normal Abercrombie hollister etc, Anne Taylor, Burberry, Coach, Louis Vuitton. The Court has got Bloomingdales, the Cheesecake Factory, your normal mall stuff, Macys.

There is an Imax movie theatre, Maggianos, Fitness club, Best Buy, a Rubys Diner where you get served milk shakes in fries but waitresses in 50 eras getup.

I think its the third biggest in the East. I love it and was only a 15 minute hop on the expressway from where I used to live.

http://www.kingofprussiamall.com/

Old 05-02-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagus View Post

Double its size?!?!?!
Please tell me you're kidding . . . .
I kid you not, Vagus. They want to add 5.6 million square feet at a cost of $1.7 billion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or