U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2007, 07:32 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,447,935 times

Advertisements

I'm also a downtown and neighborhood type of shopper who avoids malls. Increasingly the southern and western cities in the US are developing areas that cater to this lifestyle, with many suburban types moving into mixed-use building in urban areas. It's a nice trend that's booming in Austin to the point where they can't seem to build fast enough to keep up with demand. But there are many small neighborhood centers too. Nothing like Seattle, though, which is the BEST city for "villages" within the city. Boston's great in that way too, and of course New York and SF...

For malls, I was most impressed with Toronto's underground city. I haven't seen Edmonton, though, which I've heard is very impressive and combines elements of Toronto and the Mall of America into a Mega-Mall-City all underground. Anyone been there who can give a report?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 09:37 PM

2,027 posts, read 6,366,022 times
Rivercenter Mall in San Antonio because it is on the riverwalk.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:43 PM

766 posts, read 2,271,023 times
I much prefer downtown areas such as Chicago's Michigan Avenue or New York's Fifth Avenue for a shopping district. As for actual malls, though, I'd go with Oak Brook Center for an outdoor mall (an upscale and well-manicured place in Chicago's west suburbs) and then the indoor malls at Caesars Palace and the Venetian in Las Vegas (if you're going to go over-the-top, you might as well go all the way).

Old 05-06-2007, 07:18 AM

859 posts, read 3,066,602 times
We have a few notable malls in my area:

Garden State Plaza, Paramus NJ (very big, easy to navigate, a lot of good stores)

Short Hills Mall, Short Hills NJ (known for being one of the most "upscale" malls. Only a few low scale stores...mostly...fendi, gucci etc.)

Palisades Mall in NY (a lot of floors, imax, dave & busters)

King of Prussia in PA (known for being gigantic and have so many stores)

I would rather shop in NJ though because we have no tax on clothes : )

Old 05-06-2007, 10:10 AM

33 posts, read 143,842 times
Fort Henry Mall, Kingsport TN

Old 05-06-2007, 01:32 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,447,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
Rivercenter Mall in San Antonio because it is on the riverwalk.
Well, yeah, the RiverWalk is gorgeous and unlike anything in any other part of the USA, but the mall itself is just an upscale version of a typical mall. If the thread were titled "most beautiful areas immediately outside of a shopping mall" than I would agree with you!

Old 05-06-2007, 05:45 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,610,847 times
The Galleria in Houston. Largest mall in Texas and is in the top five in the U.S.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:08 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,285,468 times
I want to second the Tysons complexes in Northern Virginia. Very nice.

Old 05-26-2007, 01:36 AM

286 posts, read 920,401 times
International Plaza and Bay Street in Tampa. It has representatitves from every high-end brand you can think of, it is large but not imposing, posh but not snobby. Also, open-air Bay Street outside the mall has a lot of high-end places to eat (some of which are local flavor to Tampa), and at night becomes a thriving nightlife/people watching district. There is also a four-star hotel on the property, and it is all adjacent to Tampa International, consistently rated among the nation's best airports.

Old 05-26-2007, 01:39 AM

286 posts, read 920,401 times
I also nominate Waterside Shops in Naples, and Mall at Millenia in Orlando. Waterside is beautiful, full of fountains, entirely open air and full of the highest-end shops. Millenia is positively HUGE, resembles an aquarium almost, beautiful all blue/white colors, glass and steel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or