U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 08:41 AM

2,703 posts, read 2,612,212 times

Advertisements

I can't wait for that project. Complete with a House of Blues, and on the Red Line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 08:54 AM

3,073 posts, read 10,774,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
What an excuse. New York and Chicago get hot and humid. When I lived in D.C. summers were hot and humid, New Orleans is hot and humid. All have great downtown or Georgetown shopping. Houston is not blazing year around. The Galleria is quite nice but Houston needs somewhere else to shop when its not summer. Thank goodness Houston Pavilions is coming.
Please. Houston Pavilions does not fit downtown.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:51 AM

18,656 posts, read 27,102,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Please. Houston Pavilions does not fit downtown.
So they need more of them in downtown. Using the weather as a crutch to not shop downtown is an excuse. Chicago's winters are worse than Houston's summers and I see people walking around shopping like it was a bright beautiful mild day in Chicago. To repeat what pwright said, DC is very very humid and hot in the summer and people are walking around in Georgetown all day. I see no reason why they can't do this in Houston.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
So they need more of them in downtown. Using the weather as a crutch to not shop downtown is an excuse. Chicago's winters are worse than Houston's summers and I see people walking around shopping like it was a bright beautiful mild day in Chicago. To repeat what pwright said, DC is very very humid and hot in the summer and people are walking around in Georgetown all day. I see no reason why they can't do this in Houston.
Okay, okay, so we can have downtown shopping. But does it have to be something like Houston Pavilions? I thought the city was moving up. Not sideways.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:11 AM

8 posts, read 21,566 times
I love the Mall Of America in Minneapolis. This mall is huge! You can't cover that mall in one day. It has a night club inside of it, an amusement park,Camp Snoopy inside. It has a college, a marrige chapel, and lots of stores, etc. You name it and mall has it! It is like a city inside of itself!

Old 05-30-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Okay, okay, so we can have downtown shopping. But does it have to be something like Houston Pavilions? I thought the city was moving up. Not sideways.
How can you not want the Houston Pavilions Downtown? Downtown needs more things to become what we want it to be. With projects like the Discovery Tower, Discovery Green Park, One Park Place, Houston City Centre (downtown version), then vacancy rate down to 10% in a Downtown market of a little over 48 million sq. feet of office space, hotels booked solid through the weekdays, and a Downtown workforce of 220,000, the Houston Pavilions will be a welcome.

Seriously, how could you not want this Downtown:

From Carolina St.

From inside the Pavilions

Old 05-30-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
How can you not want the Houston Pavilions Downtown? Downtown needs more things to become what we want it to be. With projects like the Discovery Tower, Discovery Green Park, One Park Place, Houston City Centre (downtown version), then vacancy rate down to 10% in a Downtown market of a little over 48 million sq. feet of office space, hotels booked solid through the weekdays, and a Downtown workforce of 220,000, the Houston Pavilions will be a welcome.
I travel every now and then to our nation's larger cities and I see what attracts the people to the downtown area. Houston Pavilions is not that. Even Seattle has a better downtown area than us. Do you not see that as a problem? HP just seems so generic to me, and if Houston is indeed trying to focus on becoming a more grown up city, it needs to focus on becoming less family and commercial oriented, and more worldly. It may sound superficial, but remember that I've said that I enjoy Houston as is. Still, Houston Pavilions is not the way to go. I'll always think that downtown could've done better, and who knows, they're probably thinking about doing something better later in the future. If that's the case, then I guess that HP is just fine for now. It is rather attractive.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:01 AM

Give me a break. Houston Pavilions will add more people Downtown. Just look what the Pavilions project did for Denver's downtown.

What do you want to see put in Houston's Downtown, since the Pavilions is not "good enough"?

Old 05-30-2007, 11:06 AM

I just can't for the life of me understand why a city like Houston is building on the heels of a place like Denver.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:28 AM

18,656 posts, read 27,102,729 times
Quote:
I just can't for the life of me understand why a city like Houston is building on the heels of a place like Denver.
First off, all cities do this. I'm sure NY has built something on the heels of Boston or Philadelphia. But that's not the point. The point is to build a vibrant downtown which Houston lacks. This will help. It also gets rid of the horrible parking lots that plagues the downtown area. I'd rather Houston have more of these generic places in downtown than a mall anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or