Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 12:02 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,313,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Either that or one is malfunctioning. Regardless, this definitely supports what GS and I have been saying all along.
Kind of slick your trying to coax someone to align with all the false statements you made.

GS is saying that microclimates affect temperature in New England…and I agreed with that 10 posts ago. He didn’t make the bold false statements that YOU made above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 12:04 PM

11,327 posts, read 20,247,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
…and some guy at a rural Missouri radio station thought that issue might be a problem…but Ph.D. atmospheric scientist at NOAA or NCAR never considered that issue.

I think I understand now…

The National Weather Service, NOAA, ESSEA, NCAR and the rest, measure weather data, conduct research with professional scientists, and create data …but when it disagrees with the false perspective…we should then conclude that the scientists are wrong or have an agenda ("they secretly what the Midwest to look colder in the data…everyone’s talking about it" – lol).

Ok got it now… 2 +2 = 37
As a possible future Meteorologist I agree with you, checking the weather around the country has been an everyday hobby of mine since I was 13. I've noticed that during the Winter the Midwest is colder than New England, I've seen Midwestern cities not make it above 0 degrees for a high, I've never seen that for New England city. There are micro-climates in Northern New England but overall I'd still say New England is warmer than the Midwest during the Winter.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:07 PM

6,295 posts, read 11,000,317 times
Again, many areas of New England don't have weather stations reporting this data. When I lived in Lincoln, Maine I can recall during the winter of 2005 that the temperature did not get above zero at least five times in January and February.

That is the point about these micro climates and what I've been saying all along. Those maps that are being posted do not take this data into account.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:26 PM

11,327 posts, read 20,247,246 times
Quote:
Again, many areas of New England don't have weather stations reporting this data. When I lived in Lincoln, Maine I can recall during the winter of 2005 that the temperature did not get above zero at least five times in January and February.

That is the point about these micro climates and what I've been saying all along. Those maps that are being posted do not take this data into account.
There are areas of New England that are colder than parts of the Midwest, but overall New England is the warmer region.

Is Lincoln, ME in a micro-climate btw?

Old 10-09-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:

….and again nor do many areas of the Midwest. When I lived in Duluth, MN the temperature did not get above –10 F at least “ten” times in January and February.
What’s this really prove?

It doesn’t change the fact that you made several statements that are scienticially false…

1). NOWERE in Connecticut is warmer than Missouri in winter. False. Bridgeport, CT is warmer than several cities in northern Missouri. NWS “pin-point data shows it.

2). The coldest area of the USA is not the upper Midwest. False.

3) I'd be willing to bet though that the darker colored blue in northern New England represents a greater % of area with deep winter cold than the corresponding area of ND and MN when compared as a % of area in the entire Midwest'.

False. There area of extreme cold is “much greater” in the Upper Midwest than upper New England.

4). The maps are totally wrong. False, the maps are quite accurate.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:32 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,707,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I've seen Midwestern cities not make it above 0 degrees for a high, I've never seen that for New England city.
You are not checking the ones far enough North, plus it helps to know where most of those weather stations are located at. Most in Northern Maine are located on top of a hill or at the local airport. Neither of which gives you real accurate information for the majority of the surrounding area. I have been through MANY days where it hasn't reached 0 in the 20 years I lived in Northern Maine. If you are limiting your data to larger cities you are missing the majority of the New England area. Bangor, ME is consistently much warmer than Caribou, ME or Fort Kent, ME even though most would consider Bangor a northern city.

Shoot you only have to go back to January of this year in Caribou, ME to find 4 days it never made it above 0 (the 15th, 16th, 17th, & the 26th) The high for the 17th was -8F. The weather station in Caribou is located at the highest poin in Caribou at the airport and is ALWAYS 5 to 20 degrees warmer than anywhere else in a 10 mile radius.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
As a possible future Meteorologist I agree with you, checking the weather around the country has been an everyday hobby of mine since I was 13. I've noticed that during the Winter the Midwest is colder than New England, I've seen Midwestern cities not make it above 0 degrees for a high, I've never seen that for New England city. There are micro-climates in Northern New England but overall I'd still say New England is warmer than the Midwest during the Winter.
Well you know the last thing it is about is being “right”. It just seems that when folks see science data that proves that their assumptions are wrong…it doesn’t always go over so well. There is a lot of myths out there in climate.

As far as the Midwest is colder than New England, I've seen Midwestern cities not make it above – 10 F degrees for a high…only places north or Massachusetts in New England can say that for the most part. Again this is not to say that northern New England is Miami (lol). It certainly is one of the coldest areas in the lower 48. However, in terms if size, depth of cold, length of cold/freeze, and snowfall (especially the cities)…the Midwest is home to Americans “ice box”.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
There are areas of New England that are colder than parts of the Midwest, but overall New England is the warmer region.

Is Lincoln, ME in a micro-climate btw?
No argument from me on this.

Lincoln sits at a lower elevation than the surrounding terrain though not enough I think to define it has having a micro climate. You can find a lot of these in CT though because there are so many valleys that are surrounded by hills and mountains much higher than the downtown area of a given community.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
You are not checking the ones far enough North, plus it helps to know where most of those weather stations are located at. Most in Northern Maine are located on top of a hill or at the local airport. Neither of which gives you real accurate information for the majority of the surrounding area. I have been through MANY days where it hasn't reached 0 in the 20 years I lived in Northern Maine. If you are limiting your data to larger cities you are missing the majority of the New England area. Bangor, ME is consistently much warmer than Caribou, ME or Fort Kent, ME even though most would consider Bangor a northern city.

Shoot you only have to go back to January of this year in Caribou, ME to find 4 days it never made it above 0 (the 15th, 16th, 17th, & the 26th) The high for the 17th was -8F. The weather station in Caribou is located at the highest poin in Caribou at the airport and is ALWAYS 5 to 20 degrees warmer than anywhere else in a 10 mile radius.
And just let me add to that ….keep in mind, that places like the Dakota’s, Minnesota, and Wisconsin…are not mountain ranges…some towns and even cities. The coldest air that enters the United States generally passes over upper Midwest. There are a huge number of people in the cities like Fargo, Minneapolis, Green Bay, Milwaukee, Chicago, Grand Rapids. Even if it was as cold in Northern New England...what are the big cities? Concord, NH, Burlington, VT, Bangor , ME (lol). A far, far, greater number of people in the Midwest experience the cold than the east/New England.

Here is the lowest all time readings in the USA (lower 48). Note …that NOWHERE in the New England is even in the top 10. At times in places like Tower, Minnesota…the combination of extreme low temperatures and a northern Plains/upper Midwest Blizzard…and can produce wind chills to –80 F (80 below zero). Northern New England can’t touch that type of cold.

1. Rogers Pass, Montana …-70 F
2. Peters Sink, Utah…-69 F
3. Moran, Wyoming…-63 F
4. Maybell, Colorado…-61 F
5. Tower, Minnesota…-60 F
6. Parshall, North Dakota…-60 F
7. Island Park Dam…- 60 F
8. Mcintosh, South Dakota…-58 F
9. Couderay, Wisconsin…-55 F
10. Seneca, Oregon….-54 F
11. Old Forge, NY…-52 F
12. Vanderbilt, Michigan…-51 F
13. San Jacinto, Nevada…-50 F
14. Gavilan, New Mexico…-50 F
15. Bloomfield, Vermont…-50 F
16. Mazama, Washington…-48 F
17. Van Buren, Maine…- 48
18. Camp Clark, Nebraska…-47 F
19. Mt. Washington, New Hampshire…-47 F.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:56 PM

^^^Again, your data is flawed.

Embarrass.org - Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.