Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2009, 11:17 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,493 times

Advertisements

When I was 19...more than 10 years ago...my friend and I thought that it would be a good idea to get a glimpse of the ghetto. (We are both white) We both were really curious to see what a neighborhood like that was like. We figured that if we stuck together, we should be OK (in retrospect I really this was not logical). We heard that Morrissania in the South Bronx would bad enough to get a good look. (Predominetly Hispanic, but some black people were present). Thus, we took the NYC subway up to Freeman Street and walked the 5 or 6 blocks to the Morrissania Public Library. In the library, up to 1/3 of the people noticed our pressence. TWO PEOPLE, INCLUDING THE LIBRARIAN STARED US DOWN LIKE WE WERE UP TO NO GOOD!!! We were minding our own buissness...just looking at local literature. After 20 minutes we left, stopped at a Bodega, and one girl looked at us like "what the f&^#?!" (obviously few white people venture here).

Now, what do you all make of this? I now know it was stupid to do so, but I was reminded of this episode after reading other posting on CD. What were the people in the library thinking? How much physical danger were we really in? What is the local people's attitude towards outsiders like us?

Old 09-08-2009, 03:48 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,699,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
When I was 19...more than 10 years ago...my friend and I thought that it would be a good idea to get a glimpse of the ghetto. (We are both white) We both were really curious to see what a neighborhood like that was like. We figured that if we stuck together, we should be OK (in retrospect I really this was not logical). We heard that Morrissania in the South Bronx would bad enough to get a good look. (Predominetly Hispanic, but some black people were present). Thus, we took the NYC subway up to Freeman Street and walked the 5 or 6 blocks to the Morrissania Public Library. In the library, up to 1/3 of the people noticed our pressence. TWO PEOPLE, INCLUDING THE LIBRARIAN STARED US DOWN LIKE WE WERE UP TO NO GOOD!!! We were minding our own buissness...just looking at local literature. After 20 minutes we left, stopped at a Bodega, and one girl looked at us like "what the f&^#?!" (obviously few white people venture here).

Now, what do you all make of this? I now know it was stupid to do so, but I was reminded of this episode after reading other posting on CD. What were the people in the library thinking? How much physical danger were we really in? What is the local people's attitude towards outsiders like us?
Well I'm from East Morrissania, which i it is near Morrissania. You guys were in a big danger of getting robbed or probably gotten beaten. Also In the night it would be very dangerous. Now it is way better than it was before, but it is still very dangerous. You guys were crazy lol. Did you go during the day?

Old 09-08-2009, 08:31 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Sorry to pee on the cornflakes here, but we really have enough "ghetto" topics between here and the city vs room.

If you're questioning if a neighborhood you're considering moving to is "ghetto" or not, then post your inquiries so folks who live in those areas can answer them. But as far as just posting tourist trips to ghettos or comparing one ghetto to another type threads, please do a search and add to those that already exist rather than create new ghetto-themes for a while.

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.