Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2010, 09:35 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessLove View Post
Whats wrong? Do you sound like a hood-lum?

It's all that gangster city talk like "yo son", "yo b" etc and all that nonsense.

It's just atrocious.

You must think we all live in the ghetto or something. That's like me saying that everyone down south talks like this-- "hey yall, come over down yonder to my house and I'll be fixin to make dinner for yall." I know better than to think all southerners speak that way.

They say those sayings all over the place. And for the record, I've NEVER heard the expression "yo be". I teach in the hood and I'd say 75% of the parents speak normal english; not ebonics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 09:38 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
You must think we all live in the ghetto or something. That's like me saying that everyone down south talks like this-- "hey yall, come over down yonder to my house and I'll be fixin to make dinner for yall." I know better than to think all southerners speak that way.
LOL! Priceless, but uncalled for.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:45 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times
the south sounds so educated:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE0a2LBYpkE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es-CNSQQ0IE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIW2H-wgC54

naw sayin mane?
i mean hellyoutalmbout shawty, you tryna ride or what? we bout to go ham on these laaymes, na'mtalmbout shawty??

wheredeydothatat??

Old 01-28-2010, 09:49 PM
eek

i'd like to know how we sound uneducated when 75% of youth in the south have no concept of the english language.

forget healthcare, the english language is on life support in the south.

o leh doooo it mane, nan dudes na'mtambout shawty.
nan one of you.

i finna post so mo stuff about how the nawf sounds uneducated.

please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Love the Southern accent to death, as you can tell you've stepped into a region where men are men and women are women, unlike the trashy Northeast, where men are whiny imitations of themselves and many women are career lesbians.

A good looking woman with a Southern dialect is the next best thing to meeting God.

Hate the way they murder the English language in Massachusetts and some of NYC's boroughs. Ugh, the Northeast is so trashy
hellyoutalmbout?

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/2387/redneck2009.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-28-2010, 09:59 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,636,973 times
The Northeast will always be plagued with terrible accents and a criminal image.

It's unfortunate, but this is what the people seem to want, particularly in NYC and NNJ to sound "tough" and "gangsta yo". Really sickening and sad. I hate being surrounded by that type of attitude, it's a combination of ignorance and arrogance which makes the Northeast so despicable in a sense.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:00 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,101,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
The Northeast will always be plagued with terrible accents and a criminal image.

It's unfortunate, but this is what the people seem to want, particularly in NYC and NNJ to sound "tough" and "gangsta yo". Really sickening and sad. I hate being surrounded by that type of attitude, it's a combination of ignorance and arrogance which makes the Northeast so despicable in a sense.

I agree... it gets laughed at throughout the rest of the country though

Old 01-28-2010, 10:02 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i'd like to know how we sound uneducated when 75% of youth in the south have no concept of the english language.

forget healthcare, the english language is on life support in the south.

o leh doooo it mane, nan dudes na'mtambout shawty.
nan one of you.

i finna post so mo stuff about how the nawf sounds uneducated.

please.

hellyoutalmbout?

You have SERIOUS issues.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
I agree... it gets laughed at throughout the rest of the country though
The rest of the country has some sense. Up here we're surrounded by people with no respect for themselves or anyone else, as they think living in NYC or the surrounding area gives them some license to act like a retarded city punk. It's a region of babies.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:05 PM
eek

its funny how the south has a higher crime rate than the north tho, isn't it??
its also funny how many ppl in america try to sound tough regardless of region and their accent has nothing to do with how tough they sound.

slang is more of a factor in how a person comes across when it comes to sounding tough.
unless you have an inferiority complex when it comes to the north...?

oh, i'm sorry. i'm probably coming across as articulate. let me break it down for "ya'll."

na'mtambout, mack and gerden? yeah mane, dem boys in the souf, mane lemme tell ya'll...
dem boys go ham down derr, na'mtambout, mane? they be in the trap lettin them thangs aowf mane, yafeelme?

Old 01-28-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
its funny how the south has a higher crime rate than the north tho, isn't it??
its also funny how many ppl in america try to sound tough regardless of region and their accent has nothing to do with how tough they sound.

slang is more of a factor in how a person comes across when it comes to sounding tough.
unless you have an inferiority complex when it comes to the north...?

oh, i'm sorry. i'm probably coming across as articulate. let me break it down for "ya'll."

na'mtambout, mack and gerden? yeah mane, dem boys in the souf, mane lemme tell ya'll...
dem boys go ham down derr, na'mtambout, mane? they be in the trap lettin them thangs aowf mane, yafeelme?
Lol, I don't live in the South, so I'm not sure why you would believe that exaggerated and made up talk would upset me.

Some Southern states have a higher crime rate because unlike the Northeast, the South is actually INTEGRATED - Unlike segregation central that is Boston, and suburban NJ and CT. Blacks and whites interact on a daily basis in the South, and obviously there can be cultural tension, but that's probably healthier than the people in NJ who live in 100% white suburbs and can't even go to the cities because they are so crime-infested (Newark and Camden, most dangerous in the country).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.