Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 09:33 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times

Advertisements

I put a relatively young age because they're might be more anachronistic or isolated places in America. Still I agree I went too far on that. Bump it up to say 55.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 12:42 PM

4 posts, read 10,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post

Why do people brag about a city being "tolerant"?

I don't think it's all that wonderful to be "tolerated."

"Yeah, Bob is kind of a loser, but we tolerate him."
Hmm...are you one hundred percent sure that tolerance for losers hasn't ever been directed towards you?

Old 09-24-2009, 01:27 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Hilo, Hawaii doesn't appear to be too expensive. It's either slightly below average or 22.3% above.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Hilo-Hawaii.html
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Quote:
Although I don't know how well different groups get along in these places.
Hilo is tolerant only in the Hawaiian sense in that there are many ethnic groups there on the Big Island, and they coexist. Do they all get along? Not exactly. Do they peacefully coexist? Not all the time. Do Native Hawaiians (the native people, who are Polynesians but in a political sense should be considered Native Americans, resent everyone else? It's interesting, because in many ways they are some of the nicest, most warm-hearted people I have ever met. But Hawaiians do have an undercurrent of sadness/anger that permeates all aspects of their culture. There are many who do resent what outsiders of all types have done to the Islands. It manifests itself in violence, directed at each other, at members of other "local" ethnic groups, at whites (haoles), both kama'aina (residents) and tourists, and also in other self-destructive ways. In short, I don't consider Hilo a great place to live for people who are not from the town, the island or the state in general. Lots of locals think it's backward and boring and want to get out.

Last edited by Yac; 09-29-2009 at 05:48 AM..

Old 09-24-2009, 08:39 PM

871 posts, read 2,248,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oak4berk View Post
As a Berkeley/Oakland California native I grew up thinking the BAY AREA was the most diverse place to live in the universe. While its still fairly diverse, its not as harmonously as I would like. I grew up with bussing. The schools in the bay area are now segregated, as the community is. Perhaps more severe then racial lines is the lines that separate the "haves" and "have nots". The disparity is quite apparent given the grossly inflated cost of living in the BAY AREA. Its a tad bit overrated to say the least.

SO this is my question.......where is the most racially diverse AND affordable place to live?
i went to berkeley high school, and it was racially diverse and harmonious. thats why i said berkeley, and not oakland.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:56 PM

549 posts, read 1,665,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptuneaus View Post
"No racism?" Such a place doesn't exist. And you are referring to the whole state of Florida? Um...

I used to live in Florida and can say that I found Miami to be a little more "forward thinking" (racially and otherwise) than the rest of the state. But I also lived in Orlando and have spent time in many places in between - I can assure you that racism is alive and well even in sunny Florida.
In South Fla there is no discrimination towards people of any color.

Last edited by Eduardo983; 09-25-2009 at 02:05 PM..

Old 09-25-2009, 05:09 PM

That's nice if true.

Although you originally just said "Florida." In 1968 George Wallace won the entire Panhandle and much of North Florida so it seems plausible that there might be at least some racism there among those over 65.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:36 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Whenever I hear someone white give a story about a "favorable interaction" with someone black, I can't help but to think: "They are trying to convince me that they are not prejudice or they are trying to convince themselves"

Either way, it really sounds so dumb.

I can see it know. I walk up to some white folks I don't know and tell them how I help out my old, white, next door neighbor when he needs to pick up his mail and go to the grocery store.

I'd look really dumb in their eyes and would not blame them for feeling that way.
For Christ's sake. This is a thread about racial tolerance. I didn't just "walk up" and start a conversation about it. I gave an example from my daily interactions with people in my town, some of whom happen to be black, and suddenly I am a racist. That's part of the problem with the whole topic. My point was this; The south has the largest population of blacks in the U.S. We live, work, and play side by side daily. Your antiquated views on race relations in the south need updating. Your cynicism is insulting and ignorant.

And for the sarcastic poster commenting on the progressiveness of NW Georgia- What sort of prejudices or stereotypes led you to that post? Oh yeah, I remember. All southerners are murderous, racist, incestuous, uneducated, bible thumping ****ty-shoed rednecks. Got it.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:27 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
"Mulatto" is anachronistic and some find it offensive. I think it's similar in that respect to "Negro", maybe a bit worse or a bit better. (Elderly people, of both races, tend to say "Negro" in my experience so I don't think that should be offensive if the person saying it is old. Someone under 40 saying "Negro" or "Mulatto" I think is either an idiot or is trying to be annoying)
The only alternative word I can think of is mixed-race, but mixed-race could be anything - it doesn't apply specifically to black and white.

Last edited by Perfect Stranger; 09-26-2009 at 03:49 PM..

Old 09-28-2009, 12:51 AM

6 posts, read 55,799 times
Memphis Tennessee is the city for you. It is the best place to live, in my neighborhood it is very ethnically diverse. The area by Summer Ave & Highland. There is a large black, white and hispanic community of equal size and a sizable asian community in the neighborhood.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
The only alternative word I can think of is mixed-race, but mixed-race could be anything - it doesn't apply specifically to black and white.
That is a point. Possibly there should be a term like Afro-Caucasian, (okay that might be lame, but it's just an example) but I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.