U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-10-2009, 11:48 AM

2,105 posts, read 2,649,164 times

Advertisements

Macy's is complete trash.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 12:27 PM

12,395 posts, read 14,641,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I think maybe Macy's USE to be in selected affluent areas, but these days it's about as affluent as Target for the most part.

They're all over the place, Rochester, MN, Boise, Kansas City, Cleveland, Oklahoma City, etc. etc. Not saying those placse aren't nice, but Macy's these days are a dime a dozen. In the meantime they've really killed off their popularity on a large scale by eating up many historical regional department stores and changing the name/feel to Macy's. They're still popular in NYC and other original areas, but at least in the Midwest they receive no love.

I thought the same with Dillards. I mean we had a big Dillard Department store in our suburban mall of Iowa City growing up.

I view Macy's move as similar to Abercrombie in the late 1990's. Abercrombie use to be mostly centered on select large urban areas. Because of that the name meant a little more, and it seemed a lot more popular across the country since it wasn't as easy to find. They they opened 500 stores across the land, and within 5 years it was just the same expensive clothes you could find at any suburban mall in almost any city.
wow nice post... market dilution and overall perception can certainly work against companies.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:41 PM

7,896 posts, read 7,726,081 times
Good question. Macy's has a good selection but they're way out of my price range. They bought out our beloved Meier & Frank (local Portland department store) several years ago and many of us still mourn that loss. Meier & Frank was just as expensive, if not worse; however, they held terrific sales all the time. (In fact, the owner declared that all those sales was why they went under.)

The only Dillards I've seen was in Austin, TX, when I lived there in the 70's. And, yes, it was very spendy.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:02 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,716,307 times
I don't shop at Macy's; However, the one in downtown Houston seems pretty big and probably upscale.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:11 PM

8,182 posts, read 11,390,538 times
I like Macy's and Dillard's.
Altho I'd no longer call them "upscale" they do have things to fit most people's budgets and up.

I love to hit their clearance sales.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:53 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,920,702 times
The Macys in Herald Square does sell from low end to high end stuff. It has boutiques and section of almost every brand you can think of and more. I don't bother going to Macys anywhere else. Did that twice and it was like a big Marshals.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:07 PM

2,441 posts, read 3,849,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Yeah, but I can argue that by saying some of the stores Macy's bought out were in affluent areas.

All the Macy's in California are in locations that have a decent size affluent population.

Santa Barbara, Monterey, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, San Rafael, Corte Madera, etc...

Even in cities that aren't so affluent like Bakersfield, Encino, and Santa Maria they have Macy's because those cities have an upper class population in the area.
I agree. Scottsdale Fashion Square and the Biltmore corridor are some of the more upscale malls in the Phoenix area.

Robinsons-May, which was a very popular department store in Southern California, Las Vegas, and Arizona, was bought out by Macy's not too long ago.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:40 PM

3,261 posts, read 3,920,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
I agree. Scottsdale Fashion Square and the Biltmore corridor are some of the more upscale malls in the Phoenix area.

Robinsons-May, which was a very popular department store in Southern California, Las Vegas, and Arizona, was bought out by Macy's not too long ago.
I think that was back in 2005, but it seems longer. Most were converted to Macy's but a handful became Bloomingdales (in California). Prior to Macy's, I remember when Robinsons-May bought out some of the Foley's.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:00 PM

613 posts, read 1,289,794 times
I like Macys. Really good sales. They're popular stores because there are a LOT of them all over the place. Macy's fits a number of niches. It can be a lower end store when located amongst Saks, Bloomingdales, etc. or it can be one of the higher end stores in an area. And every Macys seems to carry different merchandise. Here in the Boston area, you can find a Macy's with mid level merchandise while another store 30 min away carries Hugo Boss and Prada.

Also, it seems like every engaged couple registers there. The Home Store is pretty good.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:31 PM

8,904 posts, read 6,630,194 times
There are so many Macy's on Long Island. I thought they were in any neighborhood, not just affluent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.