U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 05:31 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,867,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
That's exactly it. A distant relative visited from down South last year and he was amazed at what I pay in rent for my apartment. "But you don't have any land!" he said. My thought, "what the hell do I need 'land' for??"
I'm the same way, I once had someone ask me "you don't' have a yard?" to which I responded "and what would I do with a yard? Mow it? I've got better things to do on a Saturday afternoon than chase around bits of grass" hehe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 09:02 PM

331 posts, read 1,483,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
It just seems strange that people willingly give up so many rights and freedoms to pile into a city,
Funny, I lived in NY for about a decade and don't recall giving up any "rights and freedoms" while I was there. In fact, I gained a lot freedoms . . . freedom from needing a car drive my butt everywhere, freedom from having to spend every waking moment working on my house or yard, freedom to find things to do at any hour of day or night, freedom to associate with and learn from people from all over the world . . . . I had a decent life in a very "middle class" job while I was there. You don't have to be a zillionaire.

Quote:
I can't say it definately as I have never lived in those places
Yeah, well, this pretty much says it all . . . .

Old 05-01-2007, 11:03 PM

29,041 posts, read 45,029,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
It's pretty amazing that these places still exist.

NYC
LA
San Francisco
Miami
Boston
Huh... that's funny, because I know LOTS of people who prosper here in SF! As for myself, I'm not exactly rolling in dough, but have a very decent lifestyle nonetheless. You have to remember that salaries are also higher, which doesn't quite make up the difference, but that mostly just affects real estate possibilities. For those of us who rent, it's not so hard to make a good living! And as another poster mentioned, people in big cities tend to have higher educations overall... everyone I know has at LEAST a bachelor's or master's, which does give us some security.

I do see your point, but don't know economics well enough to debate... however, I know that people "prosper" here, as they always have in expensive big cities. Isn't that what a metropolitan city is all about?

Last edited by gizmo980; 05-01-2007 at 11:21 PM..

Old 05-01-2007, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I'm the same way, I once had someone ask me "you don't' have a yard?" to which I responded "and what would I do with a yard? Mow it? I've got better things to do on a Saturday afternoon than chase around bits of grass" hehe.
LOL! My "yard" is a concrete slab (rather big one for this city) with a few bushes around the edge... just perfect for me, considering I don't know diddly about gardening, nor do I have the time for it. On top of that, my dog is a digger, so it would just turn into an ugly mess - especially with our damp weather in SF.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagus View Post
Funny, I lived in NY for about a decade and don't recall giving up any "rights and freedoms" while I was there. In fact, I gained a lot freedoms . . . freedom from needing a car drive my butt everywhere, freedom from having to spend every waking moment working on my house or yard, freedom to find things to do at any hour of day or night, freedom to associate with and learn from people from all over the world . . . . I had a decent life in a very "middle class" job while I was there. You don't have to be a zillionaire.
Amen to all of that! As we discussed on another thread (in the SF forum), everyone has a different idea of "prosperity" and "quality of life"...

Quote:
Yeah, well, this pretty much says it all . . . .
Yes, it certainly does.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet1986 View Post
People in Deep South have better lifestyle over all -- if theyd eat less fried stuff and less of a traditional diet, walk more and get more exercise then they'd be healthier than northern city people.
Ummmm, isn't that the very definition of a healthy lifestyle? I also know people in the south smoke MUCH more than the north/west... and I'm not trying to be rude or judgmental, considering I'm a smoker who needs to lose 25 lbs - LOL. These are just facts, and reasons why the southern states are known to be less "healthy". A little bit of stress is hardly equal to unhealthy diets, less exercise and smoking!

P.S. The only thing that really stresses me out here is traffic/road-ragers... but the great thing about a city, is that we also have good public transportation. SF could definitely improve on our systems, but you can still get wherever you need on Muni, BART or CalTrain.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:24 AM

414 posts, read 2,416,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Ummmm, isn't that the very definition of a healthy lifestyle? I also know people in the south smoke MUCH more than the north/west... and I'm not trying to be rude or judgmental, considering I'm a smoker who needs to lose 25 lbs - LOL. These are just facts, and reasons why the southern states are known to be less "healthy". A little bit of stress is hardly equal to unhealthy diets, less exercise and smoking!

P.S. The only thing that really stresses me out here is traffic/road-ragers... but the great thing about a city, is that we also have good public transportation. SF could definitely improve on our systems, but you can still get wherever you need on Muni, BART or CalTrain.
Its not just a little bit of stress -- its a lot of stress.

People commuting hour and a half by car in a place like Walnut Creek if they dont take the public trans or San Mateo, paying 4 bucks a gallon for gas, fighting for parking at the grocery store or on the street, longer hours at work, lines for everything, working hard only to be priced out and not able to buy anything. Yeah you're salaries might be higher but to afford the average 800k house, both parents need to be making 100k a piece. I'm sure you can get that kind of salary in SF, if you want a house though you need to be married and have two family income or 200k a person.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:40 AM

5,641 posts, read 17,313,791 times
Personally I have lived in city, suburb, and country. And I never could get used to the "always having to watch your back" feel of the city. Keeping everything I own under absolute lock and key 100% of the time. (I still retain that habit here in the country though)
I still like suburbs best (where I grew up). Much as they are maligned. Relatively safe and if you pick the right town, relatively inexpensive. AND they are close enough to commute in a half hour to the city if you want important culture.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:42 AM

5,859 posts, read 14,049,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
That's exactly it. A distant relative visited from down South last year and he was amazed at what I pay in rent for my apartment. "But you don't have any land!" he said. My thought, "what the hell do I need 'land' for??"
Amen to that! My father's dream was to have a "nice, big yard" (that I had to take care of ). That's so 20th century!

Old 05-02-2007, 11:57 AM

5,859 posts, read 14,049,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet1986 View Post
Its not just a little bit of stress -- its a lot of stress.

People commuting hour and a half by car in a place like Walnut Creek if they dont take the public trans or San Mateo, paying 4 bucks a gallon for gas, fighting for parking at the grocery store or on the street, longer hours at work, lines for everything, working hard only to be priced out and not able to buy anything. .
Many people who live in our metro area (Mpls/St Paul) do put themselves under a lot of this stress. But they've chosen to do this. There are alternatives, you don't HAVE to live like that here. We live in the city, have a small lot, walk to small scale neighborhood stores, restaurants, coffee shops, etc. where there are no lines, ride public transit to work (30 minutes vs. a typical 45 minute car commute from the burgeoning Twin Cities exurbs).

Many stressed, misreable Twin Citians are frustrated farmers who would love to live in a rural area, but there are no jobs there for them, so they settle in the "city", paying exorbient prices for suburban/exurban homes in areas where the schools are overcrowded, the traffic is awful, commutes are unbearable and costly due to gas prices, and there are lines at the Starbucks. Poor bastards!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or