U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 07:02 PM

345 posts, read 582,212 times

Advertisements

Moved to Portland Oregon 5 years ago and done many road trips and seen some cool places. I've run out of new places to see, and its time for a move.

I'm looking for a city were the climate is warmer, and if possible whitewater kayaking rivers near by. (also love river fishing)

I would like to hear suggestions for cities were there are plenty things to do and see within a 6 hr drive or less.

From Portland, I've driven my Prius all the way to Vancouver island BC and down to north California. To the ocean on the west coast, but not to much east of the cascades (roads to barren and boring).

The only thing I would like to avoid is long drives over monotonous landscape.

I like rivers, mountains, Canyons, deserts, as well as Cites, theme parks, museum's (if there really good, and I don't care to much for zoo's either).

Anyway, I've been stuck on an Island for most of my life, and love exploring new places, while still doing the mon thru fri work thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 07:06 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 7,042,104 times
Baltimore So much to see from Washington D.C to Annapolis and surrounds.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:33 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,053,448 times
I'd second Baltimore and add Pittsburgh, Albany and Atlanta, GA.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:23 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,459,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post
Moved to Portland Oregon 5 years ago and done many road trips and seen some cool places. I've run out of new places to see, and its time for a move.

I'm looking for a city were the climate is warmer, and if possible whitewater kayaking rivers near by. (also love river fishing)

I would like to hear suggestions for cities were there are plenty things to do and see within a 6 hr drive or less.

From Portland, I've driven my Prius all the way to Vancouver island BC and down to north California. To the ocean on the west coast, but not to much east of the cascades (roads to barren and boring).

The only thing I would like to avoid is long drives over monotonous landscape.

I like rivers, mountains, Canyons, deserts, as well as Cites, theme parks, museum's (if there really good, and I don't care to much for zoo's either).

Anyway, I've been stuck on an Island for most of my life, and love exploring new places, while still doing the mon thru fri work thing.

Portland and a prius, why does that sound like it just fits together so well, anyways I would try the backroads of everywhere and the little towns, I like to get off exits and explore whatever town it is or if I have the time I will explore roads here and see where they end up.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:32 PM

32,377 posts, read 55,182,951 times
I've found that every city provides a great opportunity for great road trips. Well except for Honolulu. LOL

Old 09-11-2009, 08:35 PM

I am thinking of cities with a latitude on par with northern TX. not to hot or to cold from east to west.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:38 AM

570 posts, read 1,814,279 times
I used to fly to a city and go on a big circle road trip.
Great starting points for you would be ABQ, Denver, Salt Lake City.
Even Boston but head north to Vermont, Canada, and back down through Maine.

And use small roads, no Interstates.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:32 PM

32,377 posts, read 55,182,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st. louie louie View Post
I used to fly to a city and go on a big circle road trip.
Great starting points for you would be ABQ, Denver, Salt Lake City.
Even Boston but head north to Vermont, Canada, and back down through Maine.

And use small roads, no Interstates.
That sounds like a lot of fun.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:07 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,353,363 times
If you're not burned out on CA yet, I always thought Scaramento would be a great place to use as a hub for day & weekend trips; San Francisco & the Bay Area, the Gold Rush Country, Reno & Lake Tahoe, Yosemite National Park.

I also have to agree with the other posters that recommend the Baltimore/Washington/Annapolis area. Tons of stuff to do, as well as mountains to the West. Albuquerque always made me wish I had more time to explore NM when I trucked through there.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:38 PM

I think I may need to clarify a bit. I am interested in moving (not visiting) to a new state that is; 1. warmer then Portland Oregon. 2. a hub were on weekends i can drive in all directions and see lots of cool things, enough to keep me busy for the next few years. Take Charlotte, never been there, but have read you have mountains, beaches, Disneyworld the Smithsonian NYC all withing reach of a road trip. Maybe the same can be said for all cities, except for my old home town of Hawaii. Read more: what city is a great hub for road trips?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or