U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-10-2008, 07:52 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
2,237 posts, read 6,567,907 times
Reputation: 843

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Some of Pittsbugh's air pollution issues might come from the topography. The air just sits in the valleys, and sometimes doesn't budge for weeks.
Yes, Pittsburgh's air pollution has partly to do with the hills. Our pollution actually comes from Midwest factories where the smog gets caught in the jet stream then settles in valleys around the city. Also, I've never witnessed anything even close to the smog they have in LA--I don't even notice our supposed air pollution problem and I check the air quality report occasionally.

To SpeedyAZ: I would hardly call this "unlivable" but I know everyone has their own opinions:


By ainulindale (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/ainulindale - broken link), shot with C960Z,D460Z (http://profile.imageshack.us/camerabuy.php?model=C960Z%2CD460Z&make=OLYMPUS+OPT ICAL+CO.%2CLTD - broken link) at 2008-03-10


Sorry, I know I'm such a Northeast pusher on this forum (especially Pittsburgh).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-10-2008, 09:28 PM
 
1,992 posts, read 6,036,309 times
Reputation: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
If you can stand the winter, Twin Cities. It is a very vibrant area. Pittsburgh is pretty and green, but still in a state of decline. Its metro area lost more people than any city but New Orleans in the latest census figures. Seattle doesn't have seasons and it has lots of rain. That's fine if you like that. Portland has a little more variation in seasons, actually has a summer, but also lots of rain. Just my opinions.

Housing prices in Pittsburgh are low. It's a depressed area. Housing prices in Seattle are high. I don't know about Portland and Mpls. I think Mpls is in the "moderate" category compared against the other two I mentioned.
Is there a misconception that Seattle doesn't have a summer? I think summers in Seattle are some of the best in the nation. If you like really hot weather, you will not find it, but it stays around 70-85, low humidity, and the days are super long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2008, 09:31 PM
 
Location: New Mexico to Texas
4,552 posts, read 13,460,189 times
Reputation: 2125
i wouldnt move to either one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2008, 09:35 PM
 
Location: Houston Texas
2,898 posts, read 2,879,666 times
Reputation: 877
I would say any of these would be good choices, none are really bad for crime, and I guess the job mkts are good for all. Weather wise, Minneapolis has the biggest fluxuation hot summer, very cold winter. As far as housing costs are concerned, I am only familiar with Pittsburg and you could get alot of house for 200 to 300,000. Realistically I would check out all four in person after doing lots of research. I think they all could be good choices given your wants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2008, 10:13 PM
 
1,763 posts, read 5,383,073 times
Reputation: 798
Default pgh

If you'd like to stay near Philly, Pgh. could be a good choice. Sometimes moving far away from "home" can be tough.

Depending on where the job would be, consider Upper St. Clair. You could find a really nice SFH in your price range, and it has excellent schools - the kind that are increasingly hard to find around the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2008, 10:20 PM
 
Location: Seattle Area
3,455 posts, read 6,313,867 times
Reputation: 3583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
If you can stand the winter, Twin Cities. It is a very vibrant area. Pittsburgh is pretty and green, but still in a state of decline. Its metro area lost more people than any city but New Orleans in the latest census figures. Seattle doesn't have seasons and it has lots of rain. That's fine if you like that. Portland has a little more variation in seasons, actually has a summer, but also lots of rain. Just my opinions.

Housing prices in Pittsburgh are low. It's a depressed area. Housing prices in Seattle are high. I don't know about Portland and Mpls. I think Mpls is in the "moderate" category compared against the other two I mentioned.
Seattle and Portland have nearly an identical climate

  • Portland, OR on average is warmer than Seattle/Boeing Field, WA by 3F.
  • The highest temperature, 106F in Portland, OR, was recorded in 1981.
  • Seattle/Boeing Field, WA on average is cooler than Portland, OR by 2F.
  • The lowest temperature, 0F in Seattle/Boeing Field, WA, was recorded in 1939.
  • On average, Portland, OR is wetter than Seattle/Boeing Field, WA by 6.1in.


As you can see Portland actually gets more rain than Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2008, 10:36 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
2,237 posts, read 6,567,907 times
Reputation: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Seattle and Portland have nearly an identical climate
  • Portland, OR on average is warmer than Seattle/Boeing Field, WA by 3F.
  • The highest temperature, 106F in Portland, OR, was recorded in 1981.
  • Seattle/Boeing Field, WA on average is cooler than Portland, OR by 2F.
  • The lowest temperature, 0F in Seattle/Boeing Field, WA, was recorded in 1939.
  • On average, Portland, OR is wetter than Seattle/Boeing Field, WA by 6.1in.
As you can see Portland actually gets more rain than Seattle.

Not trying to pick a fight here, but are you talking about precipitation in general or rain specifically? Because according to wikipedia, Seattle gets more precipitation than Portland. Now is it because it snows more often in Seattle that you are claiming that Portland actually has more rain?

Now another way of looking at it might be to add up the number of days of rain. Doing that would probably put Seattle at or very close to the top (and maybe even above Portland) of the list. However, I can't find the stats for Portland to compare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2008, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Seattle Area
3,455 posts, read 6,313,867 times
Reputation: 3583
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Not trying to pick a fight here, but are you talking about precipitation in general or rain specifically? Because according to wikipedia, Seattle gets more precipitation than Portland. Now is it because it snows more often in Seattle that you are claiming that Portland actually has more rain?

Now another way of looking at it might be to add up the number of days of rain. Doing that would probably put Seattle at or very close to the top (and maybe even above Portland) of the list. However, I can't find the stats for Portland to compare.
According to figures from figures used by weather.com and figures from the National Weather Service, Portland gets more total precipitation. At any rate the two cities have a very similar climate. It is nearly identical.

Compare Averages and Records
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2008, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
2,237 posts, read 6,567,907 times
Reputation: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
According to figures from figures used by weather.com and figures from the National Weather Service, Portland gets more total precipitation. At any rate the two cities have a very similar climate. It is nearly identical.

Compare Averages and Records
Weather.com has obviously changed their minds on Portland's averages, as this is the link provided by wikipedia:

Monthly PRECIP DATA

But, you're right, Portland does look like it's wetter than Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2008, 04:38 PM
 
Location: Phoenix metro
20,005 posts, read 69,429,074 times
Reputation: 10115
Guys, guys, guys. This thread is almost a year old. Im sure the OP has found a place to live by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top