U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 04:56 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,326,863 times

Advertisements

okay, I would DEFINENTLy move to Wilmington. Although Baltimore has a lot more to do and is a bit more attractive (imo), Wilmington dosn't have the huge crime and problmes that Bmore has. I would chose Wilmington
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 08:40 PM

792 posts, read 2,904,055 times
Wilmington is one of those cities that at first appearance or when first described would make me TRY to reach for reasons to move there. I like the region. But Wilmington just is a somber place, not as vibrant as you would expect for a coastal town in the south. If your salary is already determined and you already know you'll have as much disposable income as you would living in Baltimore, I'd probably still choose Wilmington. The potential is there but also given that potential, I find the town to be disappointing to this present day.
Baltimore has some pros, some bad cons. I think it is an underrated city with alot more to do, far better food, far better culture than it is given credit for. While downtown has been developed to the point where you may consider it a "tourist trap", there are still many fine places to hang out and dine on Charles Street, around Fells Point, and in the lower harbor. However, most of the main hub is ugly and most surrounding towns other than old Ellicott City and around Towson are just prototype congested, ugly suburbia USA to a greater magnitude than other large northeastern cities. And with no room left to pack another new resident into greater DC, the traffic and congestion in Baltimore has become way worse in the past 15 years. Baltimore has some very scary inner city dwellings and some of the street grids can be confusing: don't make a wrong turn as you get further northeast from the harbor!
I don't consider Baltimore boring and there are some spots where you might well like living in an apartment within walking distance of the main hub. All the same I don't miss living in Maryland as a whole: I was amazed all the griping about rude New Yorkers, when in actuality I to this day find Maryland people (not just metro DC, but metro Baltimore) to be amongst the most hostile, rude, and unneighborly people I have experienced. I don't dislike Baltimore like some from a tourist's perspective, but I have no desire what so ever to ever live there again.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:06 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,125,712 times
Baltimore is much more blue collar and a mid-atlantic city, bordering on the northeast in attitude.

Baltimore does have the harbor which is fairly nice, and some neat restaurants. Wilmington is smaller, but offers more living space. You wont feel as tightly squeezed in.

In Baltimore, its much more fast paced. And just because a place is bigger, doesn't mean they will accept you more.

Old 06-17-2007, 03:48 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,121,304 times
Depends where you have the best chance of employment. My son is a graduate of UNCW and works there and has just purchased his first home in the city - he's lived in the area ~6 -7 years now. It took him about 6mo to find his position.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:59 PM

74 posts, read 445,928 times
Wow....just wow. Let me say, without all the hair pulling and cat claws, that Baltimore probably isnt the best place to move.
Despite what someone thinks, we (I lived there for 8 years, and just moved last month) are not all rude. Funny, I'm actually in the customer service field, and all my customers loved me. Tho if they came across to me the way someone else is presenting themselves here, I probably wouldnt have helped them, either.
Baltimore has gone downhill severely. Too many drugs, crime of all sorts, it's dirty...etc.etc.
Granted, Ive never been to Wilmington...but I'd venture a guess that it's GOTTA be better than Baltimore.
If in the event that Baltimore is where you end up after all, feel free to PM me and I'll direct you to some cool places you could check out.
Hope this helped! Cheers!

Oh, and Silvodante, you summed up B'more pretty well! The only thing I'd disagree on, is the outsider thing. Most people in Baltimore don't care too much where anyone is from...I didnt have any issues making some friends. Other than that, you were pretty spot on!

Old 06-22-2007, 09:55 AM

5,102 posts, read 5,982,671 times
Baltimore is a city. Wilmington is town.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:02 AM

2,949 posts, read 12,182,765 times
Good point JoeP. I have lived and seen some of the transitions in Baltimore over the years. It has John Hopkins, Peabody, Pimlico Race Track and a lot of history. I have enjoyed walking and exploring the city during different periods of my life. My brother lives there and wouldn't consider living anywhere else. You have extreme poverty and affluent areas. You have great restaurants, ethnic stores, close to great airports. You are in close proximity to Wash. D.C., the county, NYC, etc. Good job opportunities.

There are lots of things to consider and you have to weigh what is important to you, your family and lifestyle.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:25 AM

9 posts, read 26,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
just a datapoint. my sister in law goes to wilmington for business regularly, and can't imagine why anyone would live there. she said the lifestyle is so unhealthy, food is fried-everything, supermarkets have junk food everywhere, and most people are overweight and smoke. i find it amazing, since the climate is wonderful (albeit a little humid in summer), and you're so close to the beach. i've never been, so i'm just relaying 2nd hand info (in other words - no flames! )....good luck!
I STRONGLY disagree. If you dont live here, then you dont know what you are missing!

Old 06-23-2007, 12:18 PM

123 posts, read 347,415 times
Lived in Baltimore, many relatives living there ---- HATE it! No opinion about Wilmington, but have always found North Carolina friendly and hospitable. Lexington, Kentucky is the best place I have lived.

Do you have to stay in Baltimore that long? Maybe it's a way to get here. Then you can get out of there.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:05 PM

24 posts, read 127,121 times
Hey- I am making the same choice. I live in an expensive Baltimore suburb now. (not sure about the comments about how we use our heat and ac, though.). I do agree on the customer service and rudeness.

I have a big important question though... the comments on Wilmington are often about busy, unsafe roads and high crime. (Rape and Personal Crimes such as burglary are higher in Wilmington than Baltimore.)

I really need some good objective comments about that.

I am a teacher so that job is stable and the salary constant once I secure a placement. I am not worried about that.

I am worried about any issues that would make this place less than ideal for raising a teenage daughter.

Comments about schools?

Is Brunswick County better? (it seems to be more likely to get hurricanes??)

I really need help. I have to narrow down areas so that I can visit all that are options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or