Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 04:33 PM

11 posts, read 16,781 times

Advertisements

My Fiance and I are currently in Law Enforcement together and we have two kids. We love our job and want to find a city and department that has their stuff together and pays decent so we can live comfortably without killing ourselves in over time. Our current department is under staffed and under paid the mayor wont lift a finger to give us a raise so we can get more officers and the chief is worried more about getting his money at the end of the day then his officers.
We are by no means looking for a town with no crime because that's what we got into this career for but the town we are in now was rated both the most dangerous in the state and the most ghetto city in the state. anyone with any information will be greatly appreciated.
Also we really need a place with a good school system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 05:46 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Which states?

Old 04-17-2016, 08:55 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
Well, the title says Northwest, so based on the traditional definition, it would be Washington, Oregon, or Idaho. Though I'm partial to my home state of WA, I would check Idaho first. The COL is lower, and crime is lower. Boise and Couer d'Alene are two hot spots, as is Idaho Falls/Pocatello. In Washington, check Tri-Cities, one of the fastest growing areas in the NW and still not expensive, though that is gradually changing.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:17 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Well, the title says Northwest, so based on the traditional definition, it would be Washington, Oregon, or Idaho. Though I'm partial to my home state of WA, I would check Idaho first. The COL is lower, and crime is lower. Boise and Couer d'Alene are two hot spots, as is Idaho Falls/Pocatello. In Washington, check Tri-Cities, one of the fastest growing areas in the NW and still not expensive, though that is gradually changing.
People consider Idaho to be the Northwest? I always lump it in with the Mountain West like Utah and Colorado.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:37 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
Yes! Idaho has always been known as part of the Pacific Northwest. However, I would tend to agree that Eastern Idaho, (Idaho Falls and Pocatello), are more connected to the Mountain West.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:03 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
That's why I asked the OP which states they meant.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:37 AM

977 posts, read 1,011,368 times
OP if you include Idaho try twin falls! It's about 50,000 people, everything you need! It's in the desert, close to Boise for airport/real shopping. Nice small town. Just 1 bad side no to me but to some people they have a problem with so many Mormons being around. There really isn't that many but there is a lot. I lived there for a few years! Twin is a great town!

Old 04-19-2016, 06:45 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Yes! Idaho has always been known as part of the Pacific Northwest. However, I would tend to agree that Eastern Idaho, (Idaho Falls and Pocatello), are more connected to the Mountain West.
I agree and disagree.

MSR

Old 04-19-2016, 07:01 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
OP if you include Idaho try twin falls! It's about 50,000 people, everything you need! It's in the desert, close to Boise for airport/real shopping. Nice small town. Just 1 bad side no to me but to some people they have a problem with so many Mormons being around. There really isn't that many but there is a lot. I lived there for a few years! Twin is a great town!
I'm confused by your post, Seattle4321. "Problem with so many Mormons being around." It's interesting to me that for a person who doesn't see LDS as a problem to you, that you would write that comment.

Please explain further what was necessary from your perspective to include it.

Equally important, please explain how come you didn't even mention the Syrian refugees in Twin Falls. For many right now, especially in N. Idaho, they have some strong opinions about the refugees. LDS residents who are helping the refugees, you mention to warn others, but no mention of the refugees. Wow!

There are some facts from the latest county census too. Check out the 2010 and July 2015 change in white race.

I'm looking forward to your response.

Twin Falls County Idaho QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

MSR

Old 04-19-2016, 09:28 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,742,601 times
I don't think that a debate about Mormons and refugees is appropriate for this thread. Let's not hijack it.
And it's just my sense that the o.p. was thinking about Oregon and Washington and not Idaho despite the fact that some consider it to be part of the Northwest. Like MSR i say "yes and no". There are different ways to approach that question and, needless to say, it depends on what part of the state you're referring to.
I also do not recommend Twin Falls! It's a drag of a town imo and i'm just guessing that the schools are not the best.
O.P. what about Eugene, OR? Just a thought although i have no idea about the police department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.