Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 04:56 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,270,348 times

Advertisements

I was visiting my family close to San Francisco, and one of my brother who came with me, says "Bastard" when telling a story about me.

My heart instantly skips a beat. I really don't have a problem cussing, but I try not to in public or when in formal situations.
Only around CLOSE family and and good friend do I use liberal language.
But instead of politely smirking at the comment, they burst out laughing (which, IMO the story really isn't all that funny)

In a nutshell, here it is:
My brother was a born 5 months INTO the marriage, my parents play with us and tell me "He was premature". One day I comment on my brother (although he dramatizes it) and say "Alex, you were almost a Bastard". This is when I was 10 or so.

But I was surprised the way the reacted, was the story that funny? or is it just me or do people (especially in the Bay Area and NYC area) in California and the Northeast use much more "liberal" or "Vulgar" language? I mean over it seemed to me I heard much more cursing in casual talk(I would hear from people who would pass by) then I would here in Dallas.

When I say "liberal Language" I don't mean it in a political way, but that does make me wonder.
These areas are notoriously liberal, might it have to do with the way liberals or liberally influenced areas(this time I do mean it politically) think?
I myself am a moderate (who has taken a LONGGGG detour to the right for the past couple of years) but is it just me not noticing the vulgar language here in Dallas?

If you think it's not my imagination, WHY do the people there use more vulgar language.

Moderator cut: orphaned

Last edited by Bo; 09-07-2009 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: orphaned - the title of the thread was updated as suggested by the deleted portion of the post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 04:57 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,844,521 times
People here use cursing in their everyday vocabulary. Long Island and NYC girls are known to curse really, really often. But it's strange, I don't really ever curse. Just never feel the need to.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:15 PM

55 posts, read 209,840 times
My girlfriend from rural PA always complains about how much we curse here in southeastern PA. Of course we curse a lot more in the company of good friends than with acquaintances and colleagues. We absolutely do use more vulgar language. I think it's partly a result of linguistic play as a result of a mashing of cultures and how those cultures assimilate into mainstream society and how they relate to each other. In short, an atmosphere of competition mixed with cultural variety.

In our local slang, words are commonly morphed, their meanings changed, and curse words are added. The creative use of the English language is a running part of the local culture in the northeast and can add emphasis or excitement to an otherwise typical conversation. Your brother unexpectedly used the word "bastard" and that added emphasis to his moderately entertaining story. The added intensity elicited laughter. If he was from the northeast he probably would have said "f*&%-in bastard." What happens is this, someone twists common language in a way that they think is clever or funny, and the listeners may try to later replicate or out-do the first person by either spreading or morphing the original twist.

A local morphed slang term: [jaun'] meaning a thing or object. Morphed from the original word "joint." Probably originated in drug culture (pass me that joint). Used like "where's that one jaun' you just had?"

Hopefully this explanation satisfies your curiosity.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:17 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,680,053 times
Around me lots of people use terms like "this ****ing guy right here" or "look at this jerkoff" when referring to people. Seems normal to me.

Last edited by Bo; 09-07-2009 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: If you must use those words, let City-Data's banned word filter type them for you.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:51 PM

11,327 posts, read 20,250,716 times
I didn't realize it was a problem until I read this thread, I'm so used to it, even teachers curse in school and its nothing because most of the students curse even more, I can't go 10 minutes without hearing a curse, its like people use multiple curses in every other sentence.

I don't curse at all but everyone I know curses (except little kids).

Old 09-07-2009, 09:01 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,981,309 times
No, using "bad" language isn't restricted to California and the Northeast. There are plenty of people in other areas of the country who curse like drunken sailors. Let's also not forget those narrow-minded rural dwellers who throw around racial slurs like beads at a Mardi Gras parade.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:08 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,660,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I didn't realize it was a problem until I read this thread, I'm so used to it, even teachers curse in school and its nothing because most of the students curse even more, I can't go 10 minutes without hearing a curse, its like people use multiple curses in every other sentence.

I don't curse at all but everyone I know curses (except little kids).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
People here use cursing in their everyday vocabulary. Long Island and NYC girls are known to curse really, really often. But it's strange, I don't really ever curse. Just never feel the need to.
Yeah I concur with you guys, in NYC cursing is like the norm to curse. However I tend not to curse. I had a professor in my old school when I used to go to Monroe College in The Bronx. He was so funny. He cursed all the times to make jokes. NYC professors are the best professors But yeah let's get back to the topic lol.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:10 PM

6 posts, read 37,516 times
Is it Just me or does California and the Northeast use more "Vulgar" language.

Short answer, yes.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:12 PM

36,628 posts, read 67,173,716 times
I don't hear much cussing at all. Although in some environments it is acceptable and even commonplace. When I go to some parts of Oakland its like every other word is Mthfka.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:22 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,396,889 times
F*&@ that, we don't use bad language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.