U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever witnessed the traditions of "stealing the bride" or "stealing the groom
Yes, almost all the weddings I've been to 3 7.50%
Some weddings 1 2.50%
Just once or twice 0 0%
Never 36 90.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 09:59 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,351,410 times

Advertisements

First, what part of the country are you from? (Perhaps knowing your social class would be useful too)

Second, here in Minnesota (at least among the working class - lower middle class) it seems to be a very common and established tradition for the bridesmaids to take the bride out to a bar in between the wedding ceremony and the wedding reception (that is en route to the reception), and the best men to the same with the groom. Have you seen this at any wedding? Most weddings you've been to? Does this tradition exist in your part of the country?

Last edited by tvdxer; 09-17-2009 at 10:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 10:12 PM

32,385 posts, read 55,214,514 times
As far as dollar dances, my culture(The Kingdom of Tonga) takes it a little further than what you describe.

For example, the bride and groom's families each have a bunch of traditional dances called 'tau'olunga' where a girl(either a cousin or niece) representing a certain branch of the family tree. Anyway she dances and members of that branch toss money(traditionally it was to show approval of her graceful dancing but now it goes to help the wedding couple with their new family). This was a wedding reception in Oakland that I did not attend because I was in Brazil. Usually each sides has about 10 dances.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:35 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,985,014 times
Hmm not really. I have heard of "dollar dances", but that seems to be dying out.

One odd custom I heard of "chivaree" where you do like a "surprise party" for the newlyweds. You also make noise and, if I understood it right, intentionally frighten the newlyweds. After the surprise wears off I guess everyone has a good time or whatever.

In one South Pacific island they developed an unusual custom after converting to Christianity. They would still let people live together without marriage, as in Pre-Christian tradition, but after a certain point they'd decide "that's long enough with the shacking up." When that point was reached they'd do something that sounded a bit like a chivaree and a bit like an intervention. At the end of it you were supposed to get married. Possibly this had become such the tradition "shacked up" couples expected it at some point or for all I know even counted on it. (As in "We'd like to get married, and not just live together, but our families haven't broken into our house to frighten us just yet so maybe they're saying we're not ready.")

Old 09-18-2009, 06:51 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,635,484 times
most people around here just kinda ride around in the limo with the wedding party and drink/take pictures until the reception.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:03 AM

23,127 posts, read 35,085,706 times
I'm not familiar with that one. I do know that in Gainesville, GA they have a pillar with a statue of a chicken on top of it (poultry processing is a big industry there); it was custom for the groomsmen to kidnap the groom the night before the wedding, handcuff him around the pillar, and de-pants him. Tough town.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:09 AM

11,177 posts, read 22,394,180 times
I was at a wedding last fall in northern Iowa where the bride and groom took everyone to a bar between the wedding and the reception and we did shots and drank some beers watching the Iowa football game.

The bride said everyone did it in that small town when she was in weddings. I didn't really think of it as "tradition" I guess - but it was regularly done.

It's a small area, everyone knows everyone, they're all overy social and love to party. It just seemed natural I guess, they love their beer, we love to party, it was a fun local thing for us Chicago people, and of course Iowa was playing! Gotta check out at least a couple minutes of the game.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:21 AM

10,630 posts, read 23,430,475 times
I've never heard of it. I wonder if it's a northern MN, or maybe (as Chicago60614 suggests) a small town Midwest thing? I've been to lots of MN weddings (including my own) and never heard of that, and have never seen any obvious bridal parties in the bars. My experience has been primarily with Minneapolis-area weddings, though, although the wedding families have run the range from working class to wealthy.

Many of the Midwest weddings (including all the smaller town weddings) I've been to had both the reception and the ceremony in the same place, so I supoose the bar stop wouldn't have worked in any case.

I have seen dollar dances.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:37 AM

10,630 posts, read 23,430,475 times
Update: I just asked my brother if he'd heard of this tradition (he's been to a lot more small town Minnesota weddings than I have) and he said yes, he thinks it's definitely a very common thing in MN's small towns. (neither of us has ever been to a Twin Cities wedding that does this, though) These are mostly recent college grads, so maybe there's an age factor, too (or is a modern trend, not a tradition?). He described it as the entire wedding party bar hops along the way, while the guests do the same thing, but separately.

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 09-18-2009 at 09:33 AM..

Old 09-18-2009, 09:29 AM

8,178 posts, read 16,557,265 times
I grew up in rural Illinios, adult years in Florida and have never heard of this.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:06 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,961,298 times
I am from Louisville KY and have never heard of this before now. I haven't heard of dollar dances, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or