U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 01:02 AM

14,851 posts, read 18,057,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimara View Post
Hi all,

So I'm looking to make a location change and I'm looking for a place where history is part of everyday life. Somewhere where it's all around you, from the buildings, to the natural environment, you name it. I remember going to a friend's place on the James River in Virginia when I was a teenager and being dumbstruck by not only how beautiful it was (gorgeous) but also all the history that had taken place there, it just blew me away and I've always thought I would live in a place somewhere like that. I know that sounds like an odd request, especially when considering a place to live, but I work freelance from home and therefore am able to move to pretty much anyplace within the continental US and I thought I might as well take this rare opportunity to go someplace that might be considered slightly impractical. I'd prefer somewhere on the east coast, I've lived in the west for the last few years and would like to head back east. I do have a little girl, who will eventually need to go to school, so I also need to have good school options nearby. I believe in the school of thought that parent-involvement and participation makes a school experience complete, but having a decent school to begin with really helps the process.

I've already considered the Jamestown/Williamsburg/Yorktown area of Virginia and plan on taking a trip there to look at my options as far as housing is concerned, but I was hoping I could get some other options as well. They don't all need to be in Virginia, not at all, that's just the only one I've personally had experience with!
Well, I've always been fond of Philadelphia as big, historical cities go. You might also think about Niagra, New York. I remember hearing a lot about some battle between US and Canada. Sorry history is not my strong point.

Ste. Genevieve, Missouri is the oldest town west of the MIssissippi. We visited there a couple of years ago and I really loved the historical feel of it. Like stepping back in time a couple of hundred years. Speaking of Missouri. St. Charles is pretty neat too.

I love old mining towns myself. Well, except uranium, maybe.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 08:32 AM

8,062 posts, read 9,832,637 times
Boston; Philly; St. Augustine, FL; Washington, DC; Savannah, GA; Charleston, SC
I am sure there are others but these come to mind first.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:45 AM

12,886 posts, read 19,612,059 times
Northern NJ. I think George Washington slept in every single town there.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:01 PM

389 posts, read 558,030 times
St. Louis. Very rich history great history museum. About an hour away from St Genevieve and Missouri Wine Country. It has roots in pretty much any type of history American History Sports History Music History and History in the making. There's a lot to learn about St. Louis I think you'd enjoy it.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:24 PM

5,262 posts, read 7,788,586 times
Baltimore and Boston.
Boston is rich in history for obvious reasons, and Baltimore is Washington DC's front yard.

Philadelphia, New York/Newark, and New Haven/Bridgeport are other very historical cities.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:28 PM

5,262 posts, read 7,788,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Northern NJ. I think George Washington slept in every single town there.
Lol, the city I live in has a sign on the street i live on that says that George Washington routed and camped on this road during the revolutionary war.
My city was established in 1693 (which is pretty old for a suburb)

Old 09-19-2009, 04:12 PM

5,973 posts, read 3,687,782 times
Philadelphia PA or Boston MA

Old 09-19-2009, 06:09 PM

2,266 posts, read 4,416,552 times
Anywhere in New England?

Boston itself is fantastic, but you also might want to look into some of the suburbs: Concord, Lexington, and Plymouth all ooze with history and are great places to live. To the north of Boston, the North Shore of Massachusetts Bay is home to many of the oldest towns in America and easily the most well-preserved collection of 17th century homes in the country. These towns include Salem, Gloucester, Ipswich, and Newburyport.

The two most well-preserved colonial port cities in New England are Portsmouth, New Hampshire and Newport, Rhode Island -- these are definitely worth looking into as well. I would also suggest exploring some of the areas around Narragansett Bay neighboring Newport, like Jamestown, Wickford, and Tiverton/Little Compton.

As a general rule, the cities and towns with the longest histories are along the coast, although if you're looking for something a bit quieter, more scenic, or less expensive, I'd be happy to give you a more extensive list of historic towns in New England. Some potential areas to research include coastal Maine, the Monadnock Region of New Hampshire, the northern Pioneer Valley in Massachusetts (e.g. Deerfield), eastern Connecticut, or southern Vermont (Bennington, Manchester, Woodstock, etc.)

Old 09-19-2009, 07:09 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,836,619 times
Upstate NY. 3 wars were fought there, you have the Erie Canal, and you can hardly drive a mile without running into a historical marker somewhere.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:54 PM

26 posts, read 81,066 times
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. How narrow minded am I that I hadn't even considered some of these places, especially the non-New England options like St. Genevieve and the southern states, like Charleston and Savannah? And I never would have thought of New Hampshire either. I'm going to have make a big trip up and down the seaboard to see all of these places I think. Thanks again and keep them coming, I love choices!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.