Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 10:25 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,063,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
The south isnt what it once was. Dallas has an openly gay Sheriff, a gay councilman, and a pro-gay rights mayor.

I think the reason Ms. Parker got elected had alot more to do with the fact that shes fiscally very conservative than the fact that shes gay. People dont care all that much about the last point. But clearly, Houstonians share her ideas on how to run the city.
This is why I voted for her. She's been the city controller which means she knows how to manage money. We could have voted a straight person into office that doesn't know jack about managing money and you know where that will get us. Annise Parker won. Yea!!!

Last edited by Frodo2008; 12-13-2009 at 10:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 10:26 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
I disagree, I am gay and Hispanic, and think making a spectacle of her sexuality is wrong. Ok, she is gay get over and get to work. Not that it isn't significant but the more we see that minorities of any kind are just people then the better and more open our society will be. One thing that surprised me when in Europe is that their openness and diversity (save some religious issues) are due to the fact that personal lives and race are less important than the person at work/politics/community;thus, a lack of labels and categorization and an acceptance of humanity in all its forms. Seems that the only issue in much of Europe is between Muslims and everyone else.
I dont think it really matters either. If the person can do the job, I dont care what or who he/she does in their bedroom.

Gay elected officials are no stranger to the South or Texas. Atlanta has had several gay city council people and the Sherriff of Dallas county is also Gay and Hispanic. Dallas has also had more than one gay city council person. So having an openly Mayor of Houston is absolutely no surprise. Houstonians felt she could do a good job and Im sure she will.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:37 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,063,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Great for Houston, and boourns who are saying it isn't a big deal that Annise Parker is gay. OF COURSE IT'S A BIG DEAL and it speaks volumes to the character of Houstonians.

Those who think it's a bad thing to note that she is a lesbian or even not necessary should remember that it wasn't too long ago that being a cultural or ethnic minority meant that you were destined to be on the periphery of society. Sure, there were those who excelled at business, entertainment or in politics. But for "minorities", especially lesbians and gays, you had to "hide" or downplay your affiliation in most circumstances in order to get any where. Just look at the numerous examples of gay entertainers and politicians who lived in the closet for years before they were outed.

Though not the first in the nation, Houston ushered in a great accomplishment because it was the first city in the South to elect a GLBT mayor. Though those who will say that they will "weigh the candidates by their ideas, not who they are" have merit, but it is unrealistic to not stop and honor what just took place. Mayor-elect Parker's election is a clear sign of where this country is headed this century and it should be given its proper due.

P.S. To my "White" CD brothers: It may seem sometimes that celebrating a "minorities" election is at the detriment of you, but it isn't. You have to understand that for 360 or America's first 400 years that if you weren't white, male, or disabled (exception to FDR who had to hide btw), then you didn't have a chance in this country to lead or succeed. When people celebrate the election of any person of color, ethnic minority, or women of any color's election to high office it isn't at the expense of you or what you have to offer to this country. M'kay?
Not only is Houston the first city in the south to elect a gay mayor but it's the first major city in America that has ever elected a gay mayor. The major cities on the west coast and in the northeast still haven't elected a gay mayor yet. What this means is Houston is more progressive than most cities in these liberal areas. I'm sure a lot of people on the west coast and in the northeast view Texans as redneck Republicans. This will help break that stereotype. Houston is moving up in the world. The old south is disappearing into history.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:44 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
Not only is Houston the first city in the south to elect a gay mayor but it's the first major city in America that has ever elected a gay mayor. The major cities on the west coast and in the northeast still haven't elected a gay mayor yet. What this means is Houston is more progressive than most cities in these liberal areas. I'm sure a lot of people on the west coast and in the northeast view Texans as redneck Republicans. This will help break that stereotype. Houston is moving up in the world. The old south is disappearing into history.
That first part might part might be a stretch (I'm not sure you can consider one major and successful to be more "progressive" than the others), but that last part is dead on. +1

Old 12-14-2009, 12:57 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,820,931 times
Quote:
Except that Providence, RI and Portland, OR have openly gay mayors that they elected...

But good job and kudos to Houston and Houstonians for voting on the real issues that actually matter.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:43 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
But not lesbians. This shows Texas has the greater love for lesbians. Umm maybe that doesn't dispel the redneck image

More seriously you could make it work by saying Houston is the only one among the top-20 largest metropolitan area to have elected a gay or lesbian mayor. San Diego apparently had a lesbian mayor, but she was an acting mayor so appointed.

Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-14-2009, 09:52 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Not only is Houston the first city in the south to elect a gay mayor but it's the first major city in America that has ever elected a gay mayor. The major cities on the west coast and in the northeast still haven't elected a gay mayor yet.
(I'll repeat what I basically said in a similar thread)

IMO, just another example of how misunderstood and underrated Houston really is to most outsiders, because they can't see past geographic location and tired stereotypes.

Houston is also the largest municipal purchaser of "green" electricity.

As far as these so-called progressive actions... Houston is unique in Texas that it doesn't "try" so hard to be "progressive" or "weird" or anything, really. For example, the Montrose area probably wouldn't be as genuinely cool as it is if Houston had strong zoning laws.

Houston just is what it is. There isn't much of a status quo.
It's much more progressive, sophisticated and advanced than people give it credit for. However, it's definitely not politically liberal like many cities on the east or west coast (nor is the rest of Texas, especially fiscally... thank God.)

Old 12-14-2009, 11:33 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Except that Providence, RI and Portland, OR have openly gay mayors that they elected...

But good job and kudos to Houston and Houstonians for voting on the real issues that actually matter.
Key word here is MAJOR cities on the West Coast and Northeast. Portland is overshadowed by Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, and Sacramento. Providence is overshadowed by Boston, NYC, DC, Philly, etc.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:17 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Key word here is MAJOR cities on the West Coast and Northeast. Portland is overshadowed by Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, and Sacramento. Providence is overshadowed by Boston, NYC, DC, Philly, etc.
Those cities are still major cities. They might not be major in the same sense, but they are still "major".

Old 12-14-2009, 03:24 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,941,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I dont get it. What would a governor's sexual preference have to do with running a state effectively?

I worked for a lesbian for almost a year before I knew. She did her job just fine.
I don't care about their sexual preference. I do care that people of a homosexual orientation are 90% of the time going to be off to the left, and almost certainly democrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.