U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 12:13 AM

108 posts, read 248,457 times
Default Houston's next mayor: either openly gay liberal or liberal from Cal Berkeley - is this the trend in all the U.S?

The openly gay woman is leading last poll I saw.

Dallas shifted left time last election, continuing an ongoing trend in that area. More blue collar Houston, while always controlled by dems, has always lagged behind Dallas and Austin in terms of openly progressive changes.

Are other American cities moving this way, or are some becoming more conservative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 12:16 AM

11,362 posts, read 17,216,022 times
The blue collar largely moved out of the city and to the suburbs a long time ago. This is hardly surprising.

This isn't a two-horse race though.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:20 AM

108 posts, read 248,457 times
An openly gay mayor of a top 5 city would be shocking dude. I think earlier this year Portland became first big city with gay mayor ever.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinguy2009 View Post
An openly gay mayor of a top 5 city would be shocking dude.
Considering she's already City Controller which is second to the mayor (Annise Parker is to Bill White what Joe Biden is to Barack Obama) I just don't see it being so shocking.

Maybe being homosexual just isn't that big a deal anymore.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:42 AM

1,775 posts, read 2,209,775 times
Ehh... probably not going to do much. There is very little change that can come about on a city level, and cities in general are liberal bastions. When an openly gay woman is in the governor's office of Texas, then I'll get concerned that Texas has gone blue.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:04 AM

I must be missing something. Does "gay" automatically mean "blue" or Democratic?

Old 09-19-2009, 01:31 AM

13,856 posts, read 13,439,691 times
I'm not sure any city is getting "more conservative." Judging by voting shifts this election maybe the "Florence-Muscle Shoals Metropolitan Area" in Northern Alabama or Fort Smith in Arkansas, but even that seems doubtful.

The following appear to have remained Republican-leaning cities, which rank fairly low on Epodunk's "gay index."

Abilene, Texas
Amarillo, Texas
Billings, Montana
Bismarck, North Dakota
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Lubbock, Texas
Rapid City, South Dakota
Sioux City, Iowa - I read it passed a resolution against SSM before the Iowa court ruling.

However I'm not sure what if any of those would deemed "cities" here. City-Data forums seem to require a metropolitan area over one million before something is deemed "a city." Going by that standard Oklahoma City is probably as conservative as a city gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I must be missing something. Does "gay" automatically mean "blue" or Democratic?
No, but openly gay or lesbian people are about 70-80% Democratic. As a group gays are more Republican than African Americans or Puerto Ricans, if I'm remembering the stats right, but less Republican or conservative than most other groups. Gay conservatives are usually moderate conservatives. (Justin Raimondo is possibly an exception as he's a past Pat Buchanan supporter) Going by the "American Conservative Union" the lifetime "conservative score" for Jim Kolbe is similar to Lugar or Mary Bono Mack and he's listed as the more conservative of the two gay Republicans I recall being in the House. (Foley also came out as in that range though)

In theory an openly gay person could be conservative on almost all issues, even most social issues, but this doesn't happen very often.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 09-19-2009 at 01:48 AM..

Old 09-19-2009, 08:46 AM

5,308 posts, read 8,822,444 times
- I don't think Houston as a whole would be considered blue collar. The east-side suburbs such as Channelview and Baytown probably are though.
- How has Houston lagged behind? DFW still has some "dry counties!"
- No, none of it would be shocking these days.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:04 AM

10,155 posts, read 10,510,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
- I don't think Houston as a whole would be considered blue collar. The east-side suburbs such as Channelview and Baytown probably are though.
- How has Houston lagged behind? DFW still has some "dry counties!"
- No, none of it would be shocking these days.
Only Delta County which is the furthest away. No other dry counties.

http://www.texasalmanac.com/government/WetDry.pdf (broken link)

Old 09-19-2009, 09:06 AM

28,114 posts, read 22,930,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
No. Lots of republican gays in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.