U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 05:16 PM

417 posts, read 988,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
.The weather in the plains is extreme, not temperate!
Extreme is a relative term, depending on what you're used to. Living in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, I would appriciate the diversity of plains weather. Here it is cold in the fall, frigid in the winter, chilly in the spring, and cool all summer. As for annual snowfall, the U.P. is right up there with Buffalo. The severe weather of the plains might be a concern to some, but I would glady risk a tornado as opposed to 6 monthes of winter.

Jobs in the plains are what I'm curious about. It's difficult to find information online about realistic jobs such as manufacturing or service industry jobs, and these are the fields my husband and I would be interested in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 09:27 PM

6 posts, read 17,689 times
Thumbs up Marquette, Kansas

If interested in free land in kansas, look up marquette kansas free land on your search engine .... the lots are about 25K feet or up to 33K feet. not an acre but close to half an acre.

Good Luck

Old 08-23-2007, 09:52 PM

18,696 posts, read 36,492,194 times
Chugwater Wyoming was trying to attract people. So the city set up a bunch of lots and was selling them for $1500 per lot. But they had several restrictions, can't remember exactly what they were but you had to build in a certain amount of time, so many squart feet, live in it and keep it for x number of years.

That was last year, not sure if it's still going on.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:43 PM

20,868 posts, read 36,011,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travellink View Post
If interested in free land in kansas, look up marquette kansas free land on your search engine .... the lots are about 25K feet or up to 33K feet. not an acre but close to half an acre.

Good Luck
Yes, that is a good suggestion for people interested in the free land offer. McPherson County is a nice area and Marquette is not too far away from Salina, which is the regional center of north-central Kansas.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:51 PM

3 posts, read 4,735 times
Default the great plains

I am a prospector/explorer in Wyoming. I would like to take the relativity out of the relative comment by us2indaup;

"Extreme is a relative term, depending on what you're used to. Living in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, I would appriciate the diversity of plains weather. Here it is cold in the fall, frigid in the winter, chilly in the spring, and cool all summer. As for annual snowfall, the U.P. is right up there with Buffalo. The severe weather of the plains might be a concern to some, but I would glady risk a tornado as opposed to 6 monthes of winter."

The plains States are large. There are huge areas in Wyoming that are very inhospitable. I have lived in places where the annual rainfall is less than .5 inch and the temperature can vary 100 degrees in 24 hours. I have gone to work outdoors on a drilling rig when it was -65. I would say that you don't know "EXTREME" until you try the Green River Basin or the Red Desert. These two areas take up most of Wyoming. There has never been a tornado recorded in these two basins as far as I know (and I have lived here for 68 years). But I have experienced a lot of Gale Force winds here.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:17 PM

344 posts, read 869,465 times
i'd do that in new mexico or wyoming! maybe.

i thought a lot of wyoming was actually quite expensive.

Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM

1 posts, read 33 times
I have 5 acres if land just south if Rt.60 in Socorro County NM, about 3 miles East of I-25 Exit 175. Paved high quality road all the way to just 1/4 mile from land, then county maintained gravel road. 3 miles to gas station/store. about 10 miles to Walmart, Lowes, Auto-Zone, McDonald's, etc. Very low taxes, no close neighbors, about 40 acres surrounding vacant. Electricity about 500 ft away. Taxes paid up, no trash, junk, or abandoned buildings in sight. Mail service at box 1/4 mile away. No zoning or restrictions. Cell phones work.
IF THIS SOUNDS GOOD TO YOU, YOU CAN HAVE IT FOR FREE. I am 65 years old now and have often enjoyed camping there overnight for 5 years now, but I am now too old to want to do much more than stay home. I have no more descendants or relatives to leave it to, so this might be good for you.
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED CALL ME AT (505) 908-5173. This is no joke or gimmick. I will be happy to meet you at your lawyers and sign it over to you. 7/22/19

Old Today, 07:33 AM

15,551 posts, read 17,783,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us2indaup View Post
Also, I'm curious as to what people mean when they use the phrase "good jobs"?
Well, with reference to the areas offering free land, I guess a definition for "good jobs" might be jobs with less than a two hour commute each way. I suspect most of this homesteading land is very remote.

Old Today, 07:49 AM

11,186 posts, read 22,407,581 times
It's crazy you can get a city-owed lot in a hard up area of Chicago for $1 via a city program, yet just miles away in the affluent areas of the same city lots sell for over $1,000,000!!

Old Today, 01:01 PM

1,571 posts, read 729,694 times
The property isn't free, but Tulsa pays you a stipend to move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or