U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 07:41 AM

2,008 posts, read 6,049,136 times

Advertisements

I heard there is free land in places like wyoming and new mexico, kansas. Just to get people to move there. You have to build a house and they put the utilities out to it. Live there a certain amount of time and the land is yours. Anyone know about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 09:55 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,323,621 times
Default Kansas

I saw this on the news. I couldn't remember which towns were included so I googled "free land in Kansas". Believe it or not, it's true. Although this is the first time I've heard that New Mexico & Wyoming also have free land.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:58 AM

322 posts, read 1,135,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
I heard there is free land in places like wyoming and new mexico, kansas. Just to get people to move there. You have to build a house and they put the utilities out to it. Live there a certain amount of time and the land is yours. Anyone know about this?
Minessota is also included in this Free land thing. They are trying to build up certain parts of certain counties. A nice incentive I'd say!

Old 05-03-2007, 10:26 AM

469 posts, read 2,557,965 times
Some links on homesteading.

Kansas: http://www.kansasfreeland.com/
North Dakota: http://www.prairieopportunity.com/ (broken link)
Nebraska: http://www.curtis-ne.com/rollnhillsaddition.html

Old 05-03-2007, 07:37 PM

62 posts, read 186,380 times
are these the only states that are offering this? i would love to move out west but the wife wont move past the mississippi we live in north ga right now and are looking at moving back to west virginia....

Old 05-03-2007, 07:42 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,775,032 times
So could you eventually make your own town? lol

Old 05-03-2007, 07:44 PM

20,868 posts, read 36,011,334 times
Post Reasons for rural plains decline

Their are reasons why many people have left the rural plains. Most of the good jobs continue to be concentrated in the cities in the plains region. Also, many young people move away from the rural areas because their is a lack of diversity, urban experiences, and jobs. Also, the weather in the Great Plains is not for the weak minded. Many rural counties have lost population for 100 years or more because too many people settled in rural areas with limited resources. Then, as manchinery, technology, and farm size increased, less labor was needed on the farms compared with earlier in the 20th century. Almost all of the younger people in states like North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, and Kansas are centered around the urban areas.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:42 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,800,045 times
Default lol-

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
if its free- then you probably cant resell it!!!!

Old 05-03-2007, 08:50 PM

417 posts, read 988,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
Their are reasons why many people have left the rural plains. Most of the good jobs continue to be concentrated in the cities in the plains region .
Yes, but what I fail to understand is why those very reasons don't attract people who are self employed or retiring. The weather is temperate, unlike Florida with its humidity and hurricanes, and I can't believe I'm the only person attracted to small town or rural farm life. I investigated the Kansas free land offer, and was only deterred by the small lot size.
Also, I'm curious as to what people mean when they use the phrase "good jobs"?

Old 05-03-2007, 09:08 PM

20,868 posts, read 36,011,334 times
Thumbs down The weather in the plains is extreme, not temperate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by us2indaup View Post
Yes, but what I fail to understand is why those very reasons don't attract people who are self employed or retiring. The weather is temperate, unlike Florida with its humidity and hurricanes, and I can't believe I'm the only person attracted to small town or rural farm life. I investigated the Kansas free land offer, and was only deterred by the small lot size.
Also, I'm curious as to what people mean when they use the phrase "good jobs"?
Yes, their are some people that are self-employed and entrepreneurs but the majority of the higher paying jobs are almost always located in the larger urban areas of the plains. That is why Omaha, Des Moines, Minneapolis and Sioux Falls have strong economies. They were already larger cities to begin with, and they could easily draw people resources from all of the surrounding rural counties. The only counties in the rural plains that are gaining population are the ones that are regional centers that serve a large area. Regional centers would include:
Hays, Kansas
North Platte, Nebraska
Aberdeen, South Dakota
Bismarck, North Dakota
Hastings, Nebraska
Mason City, Iowa

Also the climate in the Dakotas south to Kansas is not really what I would call temperate. Sometimes, all four seasons can occur in a week time period. Winds are always quite strong, dust storms can occur when their is a drought, and blizzards can also happen. The extremes between heat and cold are what make the climate intolerable for quite a few people. The one advantage to this area is that if you have a good paying job the real estate is usually very cheap, and the schools are generally good in most smaller towns in the Great Plains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or