U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 07:12 PM

3 posts, read 8,247 times

Advertisements

This question is about Hispanics that are Mestizo (mixed Native American and Spanish origin) only. Can a person who is this type of Hispanic say, when asked, that he is half Native American and half Spanish instead of just saying Hispanic? I heard a Mestizo say in a class that he has Native American blood in him and the whole class laughed and a student corrected him and said that he is Hispanic, not Native American--- even though he is also Native American.

Also, how do Native Americans (100%) see Hispanics? Do they see them as being fake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 08:23 PM

2,317 posts, read 6,884,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasIllmatic View Post
This question is about Hispanics that are Mestizo (mixed Native American and Spanish origin) only. Can a person who is this type of Hispanic say, when asked, that he is half Native American and half Spanish instead of just saying Hispanic? I heard a Mestizo say in a class that he has Native American blood in him and the whole class laughed and a student corrected him and said that he is Hispanic, not Native American--- even though he is also Native American.

Also, how do Native Americans (100%) see Hispanics? Do they see them as being fake?
I never say I'm Hispanic. I don't identify with it at all. I put "mixed race" on the ethnicity forms since I am Caucasian/Native American. And I am... I'm Spanish, English, French, Danish, Native American (Aztec and others). I don't really consider myself Latino or Hispanic.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:27 PM

11,334 posts, read 17,087,987 times
Quote:

I don't see why not, I'm not 100% Native American but I still say I'm part Native American because I am and you can tell.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:30 PM

75 posts, read 167,985 times
Quote:

I don't know how anyone can say they're 100% anything. He may be native there are native tribe just south of the border. Natives can't say they are fake, there are few natives now days that are 100%. People love who they love. He is Indian if he says he's Indian, he is Hispanic if he says he is Hispanic who are we to tell it all depends on how a family raises you. If he have more Native upbringing then he will relate as native.
He may just very well be registered in a federally recognized tribe who knows. If I had a student pipe up then I would have made them justify themselves as to what business it was of theirs anyway.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:35 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,955,873 times
Quote:
I imagine it varies. I don't think they see them as "fake" but I have heard Native Americans/American Indians be impatient with Mexican claims about the US "stealing Mexican land." Not that they feel it's untrue exactly, but there's the "and you stole it from us" rejoinder.

Anyway I believe "Hispanic" is more a cultural term than a racial one. Hispanics can be of any race, including East Asian and American Indian. I think a Spanish-speaking Mixtec or Zapotec could be deemed "Hispanic" in some cases, if they were assimilated to Mexican culture back home or identify as Hispanic, even though they're Native-American/American-Indian.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:36 PM

75 posts, read 167,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I don't see why not, I'm not 100% Native American but I still say I'm part Native American because I am and you can tell.

Move up north and say your native you won't be debated. It could just be the part of the country being AZ is so populated with Hispanics.
I have a relative with the same scenario and he goes to an Indian boarding school, he is Indian. he is also mexican-hispanic, if there is a difference. What ever the case is he is proud to be who he is and that is all that matters.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:42 AM

2,242 posts, read 5,555,243 times
Man, us "latinos" are so mixed it doesn't matter.

We have blood from al the continents.(Except Australia and Antartica )

Old 09-26-2009, 12:22 PM

2,816 posts, read 5,383,911 times
I think the key is American. If you understand "Native American" as a member of one of the native nations original to the US territory, as I think the Census does, they're not. If, on the other hand, you understand "American" in the wider context of the Americas, they are. It's a bit like "African American". Is a black Cuban African American?

Old 09-26-2009, 12:47 PM

10,238 posts, read 18,742,495 times
I knew a couple of Mexican-American brothers who had different views on this; the one guy (who looked Euro) considered himself Mexican and of Spanish blood, his brother (who looked very Indian) considered himself an Indian and seldom referred to himself as Mexican, I guess he gotta kick out'a that. I used to call him Cacamatzin.

I never met an Indian who called himself other than an Indian or American Indian or perhaps by their Indian nation---"I'm a Chippewa" and so forth; evidently the term Native American was invented by the Federal government. Of course the term is more PC than precise since anyone born in The United States is strictly speaking a native American. This can lead to endless wrangling.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:43 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,502,022 times
Quote:

I'm glad to see that it seems you know the difference between race and ethnicity. It seems that the class that was laughing may not know the difference. However, I can understand why they would be confused by your friend saying that he is part of Native American. The reason I say this is because to many people, "Native American" means a person of indigenous origin whose tribe is from the modern-day boundaries of the United States. On the other hand, "Amerindian" is often used to describe a person of indigenous origin whose tribe is from anywhere in modern day North or Latin America.

So, in other words, racially speaking, your friend is part white and part Amerindian. If you identifies with "Hispanic" ethnicity/culture, he may label himself "Hispanic," which is distinct and separate concept from that of race. If he wants to be crystal clear about his racial origins, he should probably say that he's half Amerindian or half "Native Mexican".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.