U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the wealthiest states would you live in?
Maryland 20 9.95%
New Jersey 31 15.42%
Connecticut 10 4.98%
Alaska 9 4.48%
Hawaii 11 5.47%
Massachusetts 25 12.44%
New Hampshire 8 3.98%
Virginia 19 9.45%
California 44 21.89%
Washington 24 11.94%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 04:34 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,606,389 times

Advertisements

california, hawaii, mass
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 05:18 PM

925 posts, read 2,294,432 times
Truly educated don't fall for the garbage of the Left. I have multiple degrees, and I loathe everything that modern left wingers advocate. It's insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
Educated people make more money. Educated people vote Democrat. Educated people either are not extremely religious or are Jewish, Roman Catholic or liberal Protestants -- non evangelical.

Educated people are fitter not fatter. The red states are also the fattest states because people who don't understand or refuse to comprehend nutrition end up eating unhealthy foods.

States with high taxes use this tax revenue to pay for EDUCATION. Conservatives don't like to pay taxes and end up with underfunded school systems full of people who put pulpit ahead of practicality.

It's all a vicious cycle. Less tax revenue = less intelligent people = people who are unhealthier/unhappier = people who succumb to religious extremism. This occurs in poverty-stricken areas of Christian America as well as in poverty-stricken Islamic countries.

The argument is so simple, yet explains so much. Yes the religious fanatics on both sides (Christian and Muslim) fail to realize how similar they are to each other and how dangerous they are to civilized society.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:25 PM

657 posts, read 1,312,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
Truly educated don't fall for the garbage of the Left. I have multiple degrees, and I loathe everything that modern left wingers advocate. It's insane.
Degrees from Liberty Univ actually don't really count. And as a Christian shouldn't you be doing less loathing and more loving?

Didn't you read the beatitudes?

Old 09-26-2009, 05:31 PM

5,095 posts, read 6,873,379 times
oh poop,
my state was ranked 2nd poorest again!

You all are just jealous We're rich at heart

Old 09-26-2009, 05:55 PM

13,856 posts, read 23,004,615 times
Quote:
Degrees from Liberty Univ actually don't really count. And as a Christian shouldn't you be doing less loathing and more loving?

Christians can loathe ideas or actions. I'm not sure if that's what he meant, but loathing what "Left-wingers advocate" is not necessarily the same as loathing the people.

As for conservative colleges the conservative "Young America Foundation" named Liberty, but also several others.

Hillsdale College in Hillsdale, Michigan
Grove City College in Grove City, PA
Franciscan University in Steubenville, Ohio
Indiana Wesleyan University in Marion, Indiana
Thomas Aquinas College in Santa Paula, Calif.
Harding University in Searcy, Arkansas
College of the Ozarks in Point Lookout, Mo.
Patrick Henry College in Purcellville, Va.
Christendom College in Front Royal, Va.

The Princeton Review's list of most conservative colleges includes Hillsdale and Grove in their top 2, but otherwise seems mostly different.

3. Brigham Young University
4. US Air Force Academy
5.Hampden-Sydney College - A rare all-male college
6. College of the Ozarks - Presbyterian college listed above
7. US Naval Academy
8. University of Dallas - Catholic university
9. Wheaton College
10. US Merchant Marine Academy

Of the 18 colleges or Universities I listed Brigham Young University, Hampden-Sydney, Wheaton, Franciscan University, University of Dallas and some of the military academies seem pretty respectable.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:24 PM

88 posts, read 171,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
…90% of Connecticut’s wealth is deeply concentrated in southwestern Connecticut outside of NYC. Most of the rest of the state ranks as just "average" in terms of income and housing costs. Parts of northeastern Connecticut have as much rural poverty as parts of South Carolina or Virginia. Take a ride through Norwich. Three (3) of the top 10 poor cities in America are located in Connecticut also (Bridgeport, Hartford, Waterbury).

http://www.cerc.com/images/customer-...omect_9_06.pdf

So as you see, even without Fairfield County in the picture, CT is still in the top 5. 90% of our wealth is NOT in FFC, I don't know where you get your facts. Hartford Metro has one of the highest medians as well as New Haven Metro.

Hartford, I know, is the second poorest city in the US, but Waterbury and Bridgeport I truly do not believe are in the top 10!

Old 09-26-2009, 07:07 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,281,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
I don't know what "garbage" you're talking about. Fact of the matter is that liberal states on a whole are wealthier than conservative states (obviously there are some wealthy enclaves that are conservative throughout the country, even in the NE). Also, liberal states are not just wealthier, but they're also better educated. Of course this is not 100% true for every state since each one is unique, but this is the general trend. Here's two other lists I had wanted to post earlier, but decided to focus on the income ranking instead:

Percent of People 25 Years and Over Who Have Completed a Bachelor's Degree:

1. District of Columbia
2. Massachusetts
3. Colorado
4. Connecticut
5. Maryland
6. New Jersey
7. Virginia
8. New Hampshire
9. Vermont
10. New York
40. South Carolina
41. Wyoming
42. Indiana
43. Tennessee
44. Oklahoma
45. Alabama
46. Nevada
47. Louisiana
48. Kentucky
49. Mississippi
50. Arkansas
51. West Virginia

Percent of People 25 Years and Over Who Have Completed an Advanced Degree:

1. District of Columbia
2. Massachusetts
3. Maryland
4. Connecticut
5.(tie) New York
5.(tie) Virginia
7. New Jersey
8. Colorado
9. Vermont
10. New Hampshire

Of the top states in either list only Virginia and Colorado are conservative or Southern/Midwestern, while all of the states in the bottom part of the first list are. In fact of the lowest 10 only Nevada and Indiana voted for Obama (albeit by slim margins) while every single state in the top 10 did. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to knock any of these states. Facts are facts and I'm just responding to those criticizing the so-called "garbage of the left."
United States and States - R1502. Percent of People Who Have Completed a Bachelor's Degree
United States and States - R1503. Percent of People Who Have Completed an Advanced Degree

Old 09-27-2009, 05:37 AM

925 posts, read 2,294,432 times
Quote:

If I went to Liberty, which I didn't, it would count. Your own ridiculous ideological perspective is clouding your views.

Why would it not count, in your opinion?

Old 09-27-2009, 06:34 AM

20,868 posts, read 36,023,332 times
I live in NH. Most of the wealth here is highly concentrated in the southeastern portion of the state. We benefit from not having an income tax or sales tax, so that encourages wealthy MA residents to move up here. Unforunately, I just read an article stating that median income growth in NH has not been good compared to other states in the past year.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:28 AM

4,445 posts, read 8,644,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct4life View Post
http://www.cerc.com/images/customer-...omect_9_06.pdf

So as you see, even without Fairfield County in the picture, CT is still in the top 5. 90% of our wealth is NOT in FFC, I don't know where you get your facts. Hartford Metro has one of the highest medians as well as New Haven Metro.

Hartford, I know, is the second poorest city in the US, but Waterbury and Bridgeport I truly do not believe are in the top 10!
When you compare the cost of housing and local incomes outside of FFC and perhaps Litchfield County in Connecticut….Connecticut real estate prices are in the ballpark of any urban, densely populated area of the USA mainland. Homes and incomes throughout most of Connecticut (again outside FFC) are in-line with metro New Jersey (outside Phil and NYC), eastern Massachusetts, suburban Baltimore, suburban Washington DC, metro south Florida, metro Atlanta, metro Charlotte/Ra, NC, southern and northern metro California, metro Denver, metro Phoenix, and the bigger metro areas of the Pacific northwest.

Lets use housing prices in two states - one from the list (Connecticut) on the East Coast…and one on the West Coast (Portland, Oregon) for example...

Click this link:

Connecticut Home Prices and CT Heat Map - Trulia Real Estate Search - Trulia.com

Oregon Home Prices and OR Heat Map - Trulia Real Estate Search - Trulia.com

As you can easily see…outside of FFC/LFC in Connecticut… real estate prices in “metro” Portland, Oregon are very similar to real estate prices in “metro” Connecticut (87% of Connecticut is defined as metropolitan by the US Census Bureau). In fact, Multnomah, Washington, and Clackamass Counties (in/near metro Portland) are MORE EXPENSIVE than New Haven (metro New Haven), Hartford (metro Hartford) , and New London (metro New London/Groton). When a “single figure” is give for a whole state…areas of extreme wealth or extreme poverty can skew the numbers as a whole. This is what happens with places like Connecticut.

Income?

Pretty much the same story…

200 highest income zip codes in CONNECTICUT

The table shows the 200 highest income zip codes in CONNECTICUT based on IRS figures for Adjusted Gross Income. Note that after about the top 15 or so (mostly in FFC) the VAST majority on Connecticut residents have modest incomes.

Not sure about poverty in Connecticut?

Hartford, Connecticut is NUMBER 2 in the nation in the number of Children in poverty…

Poverty USA -- Catholic Campaign for Human Development -- A hand up, not a hand out.

Note how Hartford is on the same plain as US/Mexican border...

And Hartford continues to lose ground…

Hartford Slides Lower On Poverty Scale -- Courant.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.