U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the wealthiest states would you live in?
Maryland 20 9.95%
New Jersey 31 15.42%
Connecticut 10 4.98%
Alaska 9 4.48%
Hawaii 11 5.47%
Massachusetts 25 12.44%
New Hampshire 8 3.98%
Virginia 19 9.45%
California 44 21.89%
Washington 24 11.94%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 06:09 PM

20,856 posts, read 35,987,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
I've heard that NH is a libertarian state. The people are fiscally conservative but socially liberal.
NH has a lot more traditional small-government Republicans. We have far fewer neocons and social conservatives overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 10:56 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,757,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
NH has a lot more traditional small-government Republicans. We have far fewer neocons and social conservatives overall.
So I heard right then? I heard NH's taxes are real low compared to most states so it sounds like conservative, small government. Usually your low tax states are your Republican states.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:18 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,279,113 times
Another anomaly is West Virginia (one of the 2 poorest states). Despite being extremely socially conservative, Democrats are voted into most statewide offices. This stems a lot from the state being really heavily unionized. The state was one of 6 to vote for Jimmy Carter and it gave Bill Clinton two landslides. However, it was one of Obama's poorest states (more than likely stemming from its social conservatism).

Old 10-29-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Another anomaly is West Virginia (one of the 2 poorest states). Despite being extremely socially conservative, Democrats are voted into most statewide offices. This stems a lot from the state being really heavily unionized. The state was one of 6 to vote for Jimmy Carter and it gave Bill Clinton two landslides. However, it was one of Obama's poorest states (more than likely stemming from its social conservatism).
Yeah so you're saying it's weird that the people are very socially conservative but they vote Democrat a lot. I guess the unions (employment prospects) is more important than abortion and these other things.

I have to agree making money is more important than just about anything else so you need to vote for the guy that's going to get you the most money. It's just like the old saying goes. Money talks and bull**** walks.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:01 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,492,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
I'm more of a Democrat these days, but what you are hinting isn't accurate. The BLUE states have a much higher COL than the RED states, which evens out the income gap. You also have to look at how much do the BLUE states tax your income compared to the RED states.
You should check the tax burden link somebody posted. Massachusetts, for example, which is often maligned as taxachusetts, is 29th on the list, and the tax burden is bellow the national average. We do have a high cost of living, but it's not outrageously high. +

What you have to look at is discretionary income. Obviously a higher income does you no good if it is all taken by a higher cost of living. But if it pays your bills and leaves you with extra, you are better off than the guy with the lower income covering his bills but with nothing left. Incomes are high in Massachusetts in part to cover cost of living, but also because the workers here are highly skilled and worth a premium salary. There is a gap between the sill premium and the cost of living which is where wealth is generated.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:19 AM

6,628 posts, read 12,517,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
The opposite is true for Massachusetts. Mass almost always votes Democrat on the national scene, but until this past election we had four Republican Governors. Of the last 16 mayors, 8 have been Republicans. It's often overlooked how balanced Massachusetts is politically.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 10-30-2009 at 10:20 AM..

Old 10-30-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
You should check the tax burden link somebody posted. Massachusetts, for example, which is often maligned as taxachusetts, is 29th on the list, and the tax burden is bellow the national average. We do have a high cost of living, but it's not outrageously high. +

What you have to look at is discretionary income. Obviously a higher income does you no good if it is all taken by a higher cost of living. But if it pays your bills and leaves you with extra, you are better off than the guy with the lower income covering his bills but with nothing left. Incomes are high in Massachusetts in part to cover cost of living, but also because the workers here are highly skilled and worth a premium salary. There is a gap between the sill premium and the cost of living which is where wealth is generated.
Yeah this is interesting. I've always heard that MA is a real high tax state. A lot of times things aren't what they seem.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
The opposite is true for Massachusetts. Mass almost always votes Democrat on the national scene, but until this past election we had four Republican Mayors. Of the last 16 mayors, 8 have been Republicans. It's often overlooked how balanced Massachusetts is politically.
Yeah I always had the impression MA was an ultra-liberal state. My impression was CA is the most liberal state and MA is number two.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:08 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,492,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
The opposite is true for Massachusetts. Mass almost always votes Democrat on the national scene, but until this past election we had four Republican Mayors. Of the last 16 mayors, 8 have been Republicans. It's often overlooked how balanced Massachusetts is politically.
I think you meant governor, rather than mayor. But if you look beyond that singular office, Republicans are virtually non-existent in Massachusetts. It is not remotely balanced, rather more closely reflecting a single party state. I am fairly liberal but I consider the situation problematic. Without a strong opposition voice you get group think, corruption, and unstoppable inertia. That's not how a government should run. We need a vibrant Republican party in this state. 6 senators out of 40 is a ridiculous imbalance.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
I think you meant governor, rather than mayor. But if you look beyond that singular office, Republicans are virtually non-existent in Massachusetts. It is not remotely balanced, rather more closely reflecting a single party state. I am fairly liberal but I consider the situation problematic. Without a strong opposition voice you get group think, corruption, and unstoppable inertia. That's not how a government should run. We need a vibrant Republican party in this state. 6 senators out of 40 is a ridiculous imbalance.
So my impression of MA is correct then.

I see your point. Without two parties opposing each other to keep the balance the situation will become very unbalanced. It'll end up turning into a dictatorship where all h*ll will break loose.

As much as I hate all the constant Republican/Democrat bickering and third grade insults it's needed for a good Democracy. Otherwise it will be like China where you have a one party rule and the government can push you around all day long and there's nothing you can do about it. You'll be a captive audience carrying around a red book all the time and that's just the way it's going to be.

This is your mission if you choose to accept it and you will ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.