U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which of the wealthiest states would you live in?
Maryland 20 9.95%
New Jersey 31 15.42%
Connecticut 10 4.98%
Alaska 9 4.48%
Hawaii 11 5.47%
Massachusetts 25 12.44%
New Hampshire 8 3.98%
Virginia 19 9.45%
California 44 21.89%
Washington 24 11.94%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-30-2009, 11:04 AM
 
Location: A Land Not So Far Away
3,956 posts, read 2,818,143 times
Reputation: 5515

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Here are the top 10 wealthiest states by median household income from the new CB rankings for 2008:

1. Maryland
2. New Jersey
3. Connecticut
4. Alaska
5. Hawaii
6. Massachusetts
7. New Hampshire
8. Virginia
9. California
10. Washington

Here are the top 10 poorest state for the same year:

1. Mississippi
2. West Virginia
3. Arkansas
4. Kentucky
5. Alabama
6. Oklahoma
7. New Mexico
8. Tennessee
9. Montana
10. Louisiana

Which one of the wealthiest states would you rather live in? Not to say no one would want to live in any of the poorest states. Many prefer a much lower cost of living and slower pace of life, which can be found in most those states. I would do a poll for both that would take up too much space.

The rest can be found here:

United States and States - R1901. Median Household Income


Louisiana in the top 10? Surprising. I had expected to see Texas in the Top 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-30-2009, 06:29 PM
 
Location: IN
20,852 posts, read 35,964,992 times
Reputation: 13301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
So I heard right then? I heard NH's taxes are real low compared to most states so it sounds like conservative, small government. Usually your low tax states are your Republican states.
NH has one of the lowest tax burdens in the country. NH does not have an income tax (excluding some dividends) nor a sales tax. Property taxes are spendy, but vary widely depending on what town you are in. Many work in MA but live in NH. NH consistently ranks as being in the top 5 states for overall quality of life. The cost of living is higher than other states due to the higher median house prices, high property taxes, and higher energy costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2009, 07:20 PM
 
737 posts, read 1,040,674 times
Reputation: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
Louisiana in the top 10? Surprising. I had expected to see Texas in the Top 10.
Even though Texas has a lot of poverty there is definitely enough wealthy areas to off-set it when looking purely at median incomes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2009, 07:35 PM
 
Location: Midwestern Dystopia
2,372 posts, read 3,059,725 times
Reputation: 2962
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
No, I think they should get an education and think for themselves. That's what I did.

Didn't George Orwell say it best:

"The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them."

In other words where were all the teabaggers when the Iraq war was draining the American treasury? Now that we're trying to invest in America instead of into American para-military contractors like Haliburton? Think, people, think...
I'd love for them to demand a "deficit neutral" war or "deficit neutral" military spending. Now that'd be courageous.

or where were they when GWB was running up the deficit and expanding the federal gov't (the one they hate so much of course) by three-fold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2009, 08:40 PM
 
Location: Germantown, MD
1,359 posts, read 3,277,783 times
Reputation: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
Louisiana in the top 10? Surprising. I had expected to see Texas in the Top 10.
Look at Lousiana's neighbours. The Deep South doesn't have all that strong of an economy. The very busy port of New Orleans is the economic engine for the state, but there's not much heavy industry (or knowledge-based industry elsewhere).

Texas? Oh, no. Texas might not be one of the wealthiest states, but it definitely isn't one of the poorest. IIRC Texas either has the highest or second highest number of Fortune 500 companies, and remember all the oil giants located in Houston. Texas is also probably the most business-friendly state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2009, 09:59 PM
 
737 posts, read 1,040,674 times
Reputation: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Look at Lousiana's neighbours. The Deep South doesn't have all that strong of an economy. The very busy port of New Orleans is the economic engine for the state, but there's not much heavy industry (or knowledge-based industry elsewhere).

Texas? Oh, no. Texas might not be one of the wealthiest states, but it definitely isn't one of the poorest. IIRC Texas either has the highest or second highest number of Fortune 500 companies, and remember all the oil giants located in Houston. Texas is also probably the most business-friendly state.
Texas has 58 Fortune 500 companies (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/042208dnbusfortunetexas.20aec09.html - broken link), more than any other state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2009, 10:22 PM
 
Location: IN
20,852 posts, read 35,964,992 times
Reputation: 13301
Texas also has more counties than any other state with the vast majority of the population living east of the Balcones Escarpment. The I-35 corridor through Texas is going to get awfully crowded by 2050 as this is where the vast majority of the population and economic growth will occur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2009, 10:24 PM
 
Location: At the center of the universe!
1,179 posts, read 1,757,009 times
Reputation: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
NH has one of the lowest tax burdens in the country. NH does not have an income tax (excluding some dividends) nor a sales tax. Property taxes are spendy, but vary widely depending on what town you are in. Many work in MA but live in NH. NH consistently ranks as being in the top 5 states for overall quality of life. The cost of living is higher than other states due to the higher median house prices, high property taxes, and higher energy costs.
There are 4 or 5 states without a state income tax but I've never heard of a state without a sales tax. Man NH is a rich person's dream. I guess the quality of life is pretty high if you have real low taxes and Manchester, NH is close enough to Boston to commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2009, 10:27 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
30,217 posts, read 67,358,468 times
Reputation: 15855
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb_guy View Post
He is not prevented from preaching politics from the pulpit.
Yes, he is. It's called if a religious institution wants to retain its tax-exempt status from the IRS then it can't meddle in politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2009, 10:37 PM
 
Location: At the center of the universe!
1,179 posts, read 1,757,009 times
Reputation: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Texas also has more counties than any other state with the vast majority of the population living east of the Balcones Escarpment. The I-35 corridor through Texas is going to get awfully crowded by 2050 as this is where the vast majority of the population and economic growth will occur.
Yeah from 35 east to 45 it will be nice and crowded. I guess TX real estate isn't always going to be cheap. Once it's nice and crowded the prices will have to go up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top