Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 03:54 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,460,959 times

Advertisements

walkscore.com has a top 10 list. it's obviously not the definitive list, but props to LA & Long Beach making the top 10.

America's Most Walkable Neighborhoods - Walkability Rankings of the Largest 40 U.S. Cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 08:07 PM

6 posts, read 28,200 times
Default thank you for your help

Id like to thank everyone for there help. After researching ,the cities I absolutely want to visit are:
Washington dc
New York city
Boston
Philadelphia
San Francisco
Chicago

Im going to those cities because I want to visit cities that are the most famous American cities. However There are a few cities that are rasing questions. Atlanta,Seattle,Portland,Minneapolis & St.Paul, savannah and charleston and las vegas. What id like to know is how easy are these cites to get around without a car because ive read about them and they sound like interesting places.

Also Im a little surprised that some of you think Los Angeles is a good place to get around without a car. Based on what ive read It sounds like a car in that city is very important.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:08 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,257,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I found it difficult to get around Atlanta without a car.

NY is #1 for being walkable.
That title goes to San Francisco.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:22 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,010,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
That title goes to San Francisco.
LOL thats based on those rankings. If you think about SF is the size of the bronx(the fourth smallest borough by land).

Old 09-28-2009, 09:35 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,131,218 times
Chicago is great for walking. I've walked many parts of the city and observed the various neighborhoods. Many interesting places to stop for a break or to eat different foods. Bring a camera! You may find unique things on a walk.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:02 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,627,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonG View Post
Id like to thank everyone for there help. After researching ,the cities I absolutely want to visit are:
Washington dc
New York city
Boston
Philadelphia
San Francisco
Chicago

Im going to those cities because I want to visit cities that are the most famous American cities. However There are a few cities that are rasing questions. Atlanta,Seattle,Portland,Minneapolis & St.Paul, savannah and charleston and las vegas. What id like to know is how easy are these cites to get around without a car because ive read about them and they sound like interesting places.

Also Im a little surprised that some of you think Los Angeles is a good place to get around without a car. Based on what ive read It sounds like a car in that city is very important.
Don't believe everything you read. I lived in LA without a car, and can attest that it's very easy to get around to many (not all, but many) places without a car. One of the best ways to see the city is by its public transportation, and you can definitely have a wonderful tourist experience there without driving. LA has buses, subways, trains, light rail, plenty of sidewalks, etc. If your goal is to visit the most famous American cities you would really be missing out by skipping LA. It is definitely one of the country's most famous places.

Charleston has a very compact downtown area that is extremely walkable. So does Savannah. They're not very far away from each other, and I assume you can take a bus or something to combine the two into one easy trip, with a couple of days in each place. They are most definitely worth a visit if you have the time, as they're both fascinating, beautiful places with a lot of history.

You can get around Minneapolis/St. Paul pretty easily without a car; same thing with Seattle and Portland. Not sure about Vegas as a whole, but assuming you're concentrating on the Strip and downtown you won't need a car. I think the other area tourist attractions, Hoover Dam and the like, have shuttles from the hotels, too.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:26 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,738,241 times
If you are at least 25 years old and have a valid driver's lic and a credit card renting a car in the US is less expensive and easier than in Europe. Without a car you really can't see the real USA which is outside of the big cities.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:57 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,498,132 times
New York City, NY
Boston, MA
Philadelphia, PA
San Francisco, CA
Chicago, IL
Washington DC

Old 09-29-2009, 01:20 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,257,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
LOL thats based on those rankings. If you think about SF is the size of the bronx(the fourth smallest borough by land).
It is still a city.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:25 AM

43,303 posts, read 43,983,660 times
NYC is very walkable except Staten Island. You don't need a car in Manhattan which where most of tourist stuff is. If you want to go to Queens, Brooklyn or the Bronx, you can reach most areas by public transportation (subway or bus) and then walk around.
San Francisco is also very walkable except you have to like walking up and down hills.
Philadelphia's downtown area is walkable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.