Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 01:13 PM

6 posts, read 28,287 times

Advertisements

Hello, Im thinking of going to the US for a visit from overseas. I have never been there before so the biggest question I have is what cities in the USA are best for walking. I plan to start my trip in Washington, DC and then I want to travel to other cites via train and or airplane but Im not completely sure waht cities have good transportation systems and are easy to get around without a car. I do not want to rent a car because based on what ive read in travel books it seems like a very confussing process with alot of rules than in Europe. If anyone can answer this question I have I would be very thankful because Ive read many travel book but they just confuse me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 01:43 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
American cities with good rail transit systems where you can get around easily without a car: Washington D.C., NYC, Chicago, L.A., San Francisco, Boston, Atlanta, Portland, Philadelphia...

Old 09-28-2009, 01:44 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,669,844 times
Boston is a wonderful place to be without a car. Much of New York is, as well. Parts of San Francisco are very pedestrian-friendly, as are parts of Washington and Chicago.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:55 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
I found it difficult to get around Atlanta without a car.

NY is #1 for being walkable.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:57 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,891,659 times
NYC and Chicago for sure. Philly if you have time

Old 09-28-2009, 02:05 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
I wouldn't base your city decision on this alone, at least not initially. Most large American cities have at least acceptable public transportation systems, despite the myths otherwise. I'd pick cities on what you want to do and what you want to see and work from there.

You will run into problems in many small cities and in small towns, but that's not to say you should discount them, either. In those situations often everything you want to see is fairly central and you can get to where you want to go by walking.

Really, I can't think of any American city that I haven't been able to enjoy on foot or without a car. The only thing that comes to mind is Missoula, Montana, but even then I think it would have been okay if we weren't stuck staying at a hotel far out of town. Some are easier than others, of course. (And I am still bitter that the Bay Area's children's museum is totally unaccessible by public transportatation. No buses, no safe sidewalks; the only way to get there is by a car.)

Old 09-28-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I found it difficult to get around Atlanta without a car.

NY is #1 for being walkable.
Of course you did. Parts of NYC are difficult to get around without a car too...but let's split some hairs.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:39 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Of course you did. Parts of NYC are difficult to get around without a car too...but let's split some hairs.

Yeah, Staten island, that's it. That represents about 20% of NYC.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:47 PM

Anyway...back to the topic of which cities are walkable - not which cities someone thinks AREN'T.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:53 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
I'll offer up a surprising entry: San Diego. The public transit system in this town is surprisingly very efficient. I am in San Diego every year for travel, and am continually impressed by their public transit system. You can travel to the Mexican border from the Santa Fe Depot downtown, very cheaply. Or you can go to the northeast suburbs. Not many people IMO, however, utilize the rail. In the 5 years of using their public transit system, I've only been asked one time for my riding pass. Translated: you could ride free if you wanted to.

Portland Oregon is another example with a great light rail system. The last time I was there to visit family, I went from the airport, which is on the east side of town, to the southwest, near Beaverton, for 1 dollar, and then walked about a half mile the rest of the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.