U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 07:22 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,860,679 times

Advertisements

The day after Super Bowl Sunday should be a holiday. Probably half of the 95 million U.S. viewers are coming in Monday with a wicked hangover and not getting much done anyhow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 05:33 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,802,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
In case you haven't noticed, this is NOT Europe. Most of our ancestors risked life and limb to move away from Europe, why make it the same here now? Makes no sense, you like Europe so much, go back.
Oh, get real. Europe has advanced way beyond those times. I'm not saying it's better there, but arguably on par in terms of quality of life.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:47 PM

48 posts, read 83,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
We need more holidays, particulaly Christian
More Christian federal holidays? You've got to be kidding. Separation of church and state, anyone? Yes, I realize Christmas is recognized as a federal holiday and I don't like it. I prefer the more secular and inclusive Winter Break.

I say give everyone a certain number of vacation days to celebrate whatever religious or personal holidays they want in addition to limited federal holidays.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:05 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,165,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Oh, get real. Europe has advanced way beyond those times. I'm not saying it's better there, but arguably on par in terms of quality of life.
Someone would have to be a complete idiot to still think things are the same as they were 250 or 300 years ago in Europe, and I know you are not insinuating that I am that big of an Idiot. You know what I meant, and what I was getting at. If not; there is no way I could explain it to you so you would get it either.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:50 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,273,490 times
I'll take any new holidays...I don't think any of these are Christian:
Arbor Day
Flag Day
Valentine's Day
Mother's Day
Father's Day
Brother's Day
Sister's Day
Earth Day
Cinco de Mayo
Kwanzaa
Groundhog Day
Halloween

Old 09-30-2009, 08:13 PM

1,189 posts, read 3,619,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I'll take any new holidays...I don't think any of these are Christian:
Arbor Day
Flag Day
Valentine's Day
Mother's Day
Father's Day
Brother's Day
Sister's Day
Earth Day
Cinco de Mayo
Kwanzaa
Groundhog Day
Halloween
Wait wait...

I was with you until Kwanzaa. You are just trying to pull a fast one on us now aren't you? That holiday has all the authenticity of Steven Colbert's right-wing talk show personality.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:18 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,273,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
Wait wait...

I was with you until Kwanzaa. You are just trying to pull a fast one on us now aren't you? That holiday has all the authenticity of Steven Colbert's right-wing talk show personality.
So does your Sister's Day...

Old 09-30-2009, 08:19 PM

87,006 posts, read 102,606,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
oh, YAY!!!! Lets have more holidays where retail people STLL have to work, and not get any extra pay! Sounds like a GREAT idea to me!
For the most part, health care workers do not get paid for all these holidays, either. Usually, we get paid for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day. If you work it, sometimes you get a different day off. It is not common to be paid for Martin Luther King Day, President's Day, etc.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:21 PM

1,189 posts, read 3,619,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
So does your Sister's Day...
Quit talking about my sister's day!

Old 09-30-2009, 08:43 PM

22,142 posts, read 23,668,851 times
Actually, I think we need more vacation/personal days than we need holidays. Another dozen or two days that can be placed around the year would make sense so we don't have the economy partially shutting down. Maybe a plan where people get extra days off if they choose to take their days off on unpopular vacation times or times that are not critical for their industry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.