U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 08:47 PM

389 posts, read 791,929 times

Advertisements

Halloween definitely needs to be a day off holiday. Its one holiday that a neighborhood/community can celebrate together. When I have kids, if I have kids, I'm taking off halloweens. You better believe it. Pumpkin pancakes in the morning trick or treating in the evening and the great pumpkin before bedtime. It has to suck rushing home from work trying to get out and trick or treat and enjoy the holiday before it gets too dark. Office Halloween parties are pretty blasť as well. Waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 08:19 AM

594 posts, read 952,343 times
Default American's are WAY overworking!!

American's are WAAAAY overworking. I feel bad for them!

Working even on holidays?! Why are retails for example open on Good Friday, Easter, Day after Christmas, Christmas Eve, New Year's Eve, New Year's Day?! Even non-retailers work on most of these holidays. American's also rarely goes on vacation outside the U.S., some even never left their state

This is one of the main reasons why it makes me think about moving to either Canada or back to Europe!

STOP WORKING ON HOLIDAYS & ENJOY LIFE!! Life is too short for working 24/7!

U.S. should also observe Easter Monday and Boxing Day (Day after Christmas!) Those two are EXTREMELY important!!!!

Old 12-09-2009, 08:21 AM

43,646 posts, read 52,904,471 times
You don't have to work on holidays.

The great thing about this country is that you have the opportunity to work as much or as hard as you want to better your life (in whichever way you decide it needs to be bettered).

Old 12-09-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You don't have to work on holidays.

The great thing about this country is that you have the opportunity to work as much or as hard as you want to better your life (in whichever way you decide it needs to be bettered).
Yeah, but how many actually take off during these holidays? Most of them are not even allowed to take off except for Christmas Day and Thanksgiving.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
Yeah, but how many actually take off during these holidays? Most of them are not even allowed to take off except for Christmas Day and Thanksgiving.
There are plenty of jobs where you are not forced to work those holidays. They may not be as desirable, though. But that's your choice. Besides, if you're not christian, who cares about being off for xmas?

Old 12-09-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
There are plenty of jobs where you are not forced to work those holidays. They may not be as desirable, though. But that's your choice. Besides, if you're not christian, who cares about being off for xmas?
I am Christian, and so is over 80% of people living in the U.S.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:18 AM

Whatever. Holidays and weekends are all made up days in our heads and assigning them special value is all up to you. I don't really care one way or another. I work whenever I have to because people need me to be there. If you don't want that kind of job, don't work there.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:29 AM

4,925 posts, read 9,806,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
The U.S. has only few Federal/Public holidays, unlike most other countries.

Why not having more days off/half days off from work? Such as Good Friday, Easter Monday, Boxing Day (Dec 26), half day on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve.

We need more holidays, particulaly Christian
Why? Why the "need" for more holidays?

Old 12-09-2009, 11:49 AM

9,967 posts, read 14,670,784 times
The day after St. Patrick's Day should be a federal holiday. It's really hard to go work after the next day after all those pints of Guinness and shots of Jameson whiskey..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.